Timing belt damage bought from emiata.com (Prothe)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Is there anyone who's any good at website stuff and could maybe hyjack his sites as and when they appear so instead of going to his site it went to a warning page saying what a c**t he is.
Keep in mind that doing that is highly illegal. As in, potentially pound-me-in-the-ass federal prison illegal, not just white collar resort prison.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Keep in mind that doing that is highly illegal. As in, potentially pound-me-in-the-ass federal prison illegal, not just white collar resort prison.
Man you wouldn't take one for the cause:D To protect the endanger TDI from the evel Prothe :D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I think it's a bit unfair to call everything crap chinese, I like chicken fried rice:D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
well that too in time becomes crap

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
Wow, this guy has been screwing people for way too long. People should be highly suspicious of any commercial web site that uses Comic Sans as the primary font. When I first went to emiata.com a couple years ago (after reading about it here), I knew that the 1996 Geocities style layout and Comic Sans was a bad sign.

edfcmc

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder what his failure rate is on his parts:

IP
timing belts
turbos

vze1j262

TDI
2 ea.-2002 Jetta TDI
Junk from eMiata

I had the same thing happen to me with parts from that place. I bought another kit from I think impex and both my cars are running fine for about 2 yrs now.

BTW, I have my son showing me how to use this forum stuff. Tough on us old guys.

Forgive me for not replying to any messages in the past, if you remember who you are, 'cause I don't. I just could not figure this stuff out.

Love the site and the info is great.

Is someone still collecting MAF's? Please let me know.

Jim

FireStorm005

TDI
1999 Golf GLS TDI
I bought some "rebuilt" injectors for my '85 from them once, worked for a while then burned through 2 glow plugs (broke the ends off). When I took them to Seattle Injector they were not set at the correct pressure, 135bar NA and 155 Turbo and they were at 145bar. They also had nozzles that SI didn't recognize. Their bearings caused me oil pressure problems, the cylinder head the say is for all 1.6NA diesels with 12mm bolts has incorrect cam height, and they took nearly a year to send me an incorrect coolant flange. Oh well, Don't have the car anymore and will never deal with them ever again.

I do wonder however, how they get away with saying they are BBB A+ rated

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
New website: stuttgart-parts.com/ -- MADE IN CHINA! :rolleyes:

A lot of his links are broken because he keeps changing his websites and doesn't update them properly. Dumbass.

Last edited by a moderator:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
He's actually had that one for a while.

Hrm, maybe a googlebombing campaign is the best way to fight him - take all of the sites and nicknames that he's got, and googlebomb those keywords to go to a site documenting his "quality". Keep doing this as he comes up with new sites and nicknames.

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
I was amazed by this thread, especially since as a long time active member of Fred's I didn't really know he was out there - and such a stunning trail of destruction.

Sooo... I did a little research, he's famous for this throughout the internet and for years.

Sooo... I tied all of the aliases I could find together using multiple sources and documented as much as I could regarding his various front's. Many of which are either dropped or lay dormant for a period before resurrection.

Here's the thread dedicated to him and all of his various known fronts: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320500

My little contribution to the community, he may have not gotten me, but no doubt others before him might have if not for those who pointed out the pitfalls for me in the past.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Thank you. The best we can do is publish (and perhaps sticky) this guy (and others if they join him).

I lost $700 on an injection pump that I believe originally got "rebuilt" by prothe. (Was sold to me by a mischievous member of the club who disappeared shortly thereafter) Also, a dozen hours of my time installing, then reinstalling pumps, and I waited in the freezing cold for more than an hour for a tow because his pump ran for all of two miles.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Good work!

Thread moved to the vendor's forum and stickied.

:)

I was amazed by this thread, especially since as a long time active member of Fred's I didn't really know he was out there - and such a stunning trail of destruction.

Sooo... I did a little research, he's famous for this throughout the internet and for years.

Sooo... I tied all of the aliases I could find together using multiple sources and documented as much as I could regarding his various front's. Many of which are either dropped or lay dormant for a period before resurrection.

Here's the thread dedicated to him and all of his various known fronts: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320500

My little contribution to the community, he may have not gotten me, but no doubt others before him might have if not for those who pointed out the pitfalls for me in the past.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
For them to say they are not responsible for damage caused by one of their parts does not necessarily make it so. Time to run this by a lawyer.
It's called consequential damage and even the OEM (audi/VW) will not cover consequential damage in the event one of their parts fails.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
It's called consequential damage and even the OEM (audi/VW) will not cover consequential damage in the event one of their parts fails.

My thinking was more about product liability. If I sell a product with a known defect, and the failure causes an injury to a person, I can expect a lawsuit.

If you sell a product with a known defect and it causes damage to a machine, it's really the same thing but damages are lower.

At least that is the thinking in my simple non-lawyer mind...

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
Essentially, you got Chinese garbage parts.
Yep, I bought A2/MKII Jetta tail lights that were junk, all scratched up and poor quality. I ended up paying more for used VW Hella units, but as you know used Hellas are better than his China junk!

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
704-684-1235

The question is why would I want to put more parts from them in my car that already is costing me 2000$ in engine damage. Also she send me the the warranty and terms of sale statement "If a part that RE sells is alleged to have caused damages to other parts in a customer's car, RE is not responsible for those damages. RE is not responsible for damages under any circumstance or condition, even if the part(s) were installed by a professional or certified mechanic."

Yep. This is the same way I felt when it happened to me! $1100 in parts & my own labor, I'm back riding.
Don't try and save money! Buy quality parts!

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
ENGINEERING without a license?

Have an acquaintance who buys part from this guy...hans...in Matthews NC. This person apparently has not had any probs, but I wrote "hans" about a downpipe and got a very uninformative reply. so...........I found this thread. FIRST thing I think of is he's advertising "ENGINEERING" in his company name. I am a North Carolina Professional Engineer...it is illegal to use "ENGINEERING" as any sort of reference unless YOU are registered as a PE.
Thinking now about drafting a letter to the NC Board of Engineer Licensing with a request to investigate this guy. This is a genuine legal ploy to get him.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And, *rothenbacher* turns up no results on a license search on the NCBELS site.

However, interestingly, a whois on hansdieselparts lists his address as:

Rothenbacher, Pete prothe@wewill.com
www.emiata.com
11004 E 33rd Terrace
Independence, Missouri 64052
United States
(816) 694-0615 Fax --

So, the NC contact info may be outdated. However, he's still using it on emiata.com:

Rothenbacher, Peter prothe@wewill.com
Rothenbacher Enterprises
5005 Smith Farm Rd.
Matthews, North Carolina 28104
United States
+1.7048450472 Fax --

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Good work!

Thread moved to the vendor's forum and stickied.

:)
Honestly, I think it should be sticked on every popular forum on here.

Like the 101, and the different model forums... where all people will be sure to see it.

edvinm

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Prothe!
The guy is known for selling C.R.A.P. (Chinese Replacement Auto Parts) of dubious quality.
I am so glad I found this thread. I was just looking at buying a fuel filter as he lists them for half the price of anyone else and it shows up in Google Shopping results. I somehow knew it was too good to be true.

hershel94

TDI
jetta 2001 gls black 5spd
Valuable Thread

This site exist for exactly this reason. I was just getting ready to get a turbo from him since i live in charlotte. Glad i decided to check him out. Another lost sale due to this site helping other owners out with their knowledge.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Once in a while we'll get a phone call or email (Corey got a call yesterday) from someone asking if we'll price match a prothe product. We usually direct them to one of the threads here. Don't need to say anything else. People do care about price, sometimes to the exclusion of quality. My own buying decisions are more driven by convenience so often I'm willing to pay more. But I don't think that's very common.

This thread caught my eye because my Miata could use a timing belt soon due to time not miles. And I did a bit of searching for a kit and prothe came up, of course. Obviously I'm not gonna do that.