(Former) 9W2 owners rejoice! Class Action Settlement

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Check out post #2 in this thread:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/7...6-discussion/334437-9w7-bluetooth-module.html

This suggests that the kit Mike S. referred to above is a retrofit kit for cars that don't have any kind of Bluetooth at all. It also suggests that 9W7 is the way to go for cars that already have 9W2 or 9W3.

And the following thread says that the settlement refers to the kit with the "J" part number, which is the 9W7. The "H" part number is the retrofit kit that everyone is grumbling about:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f7/bluetooth-upgrade-kit-12680/

So maybe we'll get what we want after all?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Check out post #2 in this thread:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/7...6-discussion/334437-9w7-bluetooth-module.html

This suggests that the kit Mike S. referred to above is a retrofit kit for cars that don't have any kind of Bluetooth at all. It also suggests that 9W7 is the way to go for cars that already have 9W2 or 9W3.

And the following thread says that the settlement refers to the kit with the "J" part number, which is the 9W7. The "H" part number is the retrofit kit that everyone is grumbling about:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f7/bluetooth-upgrade-kit-12680/

So maybe we'll get what we want after all?
Since this class action lawsuit seems to only address the 9W2 and 9W3, then, according to these cited links, it appears that we will be getting just the 9W7 module. Am I reading that correctly?:confused:

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I just looked at the settlement agreement myself. It does refer to the 000-051-473-J part number, not the "H" part number that Mike referenced.

So I'm quite confident now that those of us taking the settlement will get the 9W7 after all.

Yeah! :cool:

SRT4Johnny

TDI
2010 Golf TDI White 4 door 6 speed
Guys I lost the envelope with the address to send the form in. Everythings filled out I just need the address please guys

Mike_S

TDI
Sportwagen TDI 2010
I would just love to be mistaken....part 'H' vs 'J'....

I am mistaken about the part number and I apologize for this error. My comment was based on a specific reference in the actual settlement document:

https://christensensettlement.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=W5onQLsf-Qo=&tabid=67&mid=415

Page 8: "1.28. “Bluetooth® Upgrade Kit” means Volkswagen Mobile Telephone Integration Plus upgrade, Item Number 000-51-473-J."

Now, why I got confused with the 'H' kit is pretty stupid, seeing how it is there "J", plain as day. I was searching "Bluetooth® Upgrade Kit" when I could not get a find on the part number WITH A PICTURE. The only references to this "Bluetooth® Upgrade Kit" were for the "H" part number as shown in the sources I provided.

OTOH, the "J" is, as pointed out, the actual "Bluetooth Module" (9W7), duh....

Maybe I should stay at lurking status!!!
==m==
best run - Laguna Seca to Redondo Beach 337mi 52.3 mpg

Last edited:

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Anyone have any sense of the timeline here? When will the installations begin; dealers don't seem to be aware of any settlement? Have any of you gotten acknowledgement of receipt of your claim form?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Have to wait for the lawyers to get out of line waiting for their share. We will then get McDonald's coupons for a free small fry since there will be no money left to pay for the 9W7 module to insert in our cars.

smosh

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2012 JSW TDI
Have to wait for the lawyers to get out of line waiting for their share. We will then get McDonald's coupons for a free small fry since there will be no money left to pay for the 9W7 module to insert in our cars.
this should be better than your standard class action - we're getting an equitable remedy, not cash for loss of value. Our cars will be made to have the feature we were lead to believe they did. Lawyers' fees will be paid outside of that.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
this should be better than your standard class action - we're getting an equitable remedy, not cash for loss of value. Our cars will be made to have the feature we were lead to believe they did. Lawyers' fees will be paid outside of that.
Agreed. If you submit your documentation by March 27, 2012, you'll get your money back if you upgraded yourself, or a free upgrade by the dealer. No proportionality going on here...just a free upgrade to outfit the car with the "handsfree bluetooth" capabilities mentioned on the vehicle sticker or advertized in the literature distributed when you purchased your car.

My dealer was aware of the finalized settlement as of March 17th. They did not know details yet, but they were aware that some cars might require a different upgrade depending on the wiring presently in the car.

Last edited:

tufts90

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Is everyone still waiting "patiently"? Christensen v. VW Class Action Settlement website has not been updated since March 13. Where is the information regarding the timing of benefits that will be available by the end of March??

itchytweed

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Slightly OT ... I wonder if the cluehammer has hit home with VW - this issue, the HPFP, IC icing, exhaust flap issue, or are they thicker than a brick?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Took my golf in today for "free" checkup and it needed a dsg update. Will have to see what difference it really makes.

chetstash

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI; Former owner of 2010 JSW TDI
Anything new with this? I'm still driving around with the primitive bluetooth and getting tired of it.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
From a conversation I had with some of the principals involved, they suggest it would be later this summer when we'll receive the refund or be contacted about the bringing the car to a dealer for the upgrade.

itchytweed

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
By "the refund", I meant that those who bought the 9W7 themselves will get a refund of their expenses. Do you disapprove of that?
I would not have complained if it said refund for previous purchase of 9W7. I have seen too many "settlements" where the claimants get a "refund" amounting to a pittance and not the utility price of the shortage.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
The settlement in this case is for the entire cost of the 9W7 installation, including shipping and labor (if you paid someone to install it). I was told this directly.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Which is what I did as well. Trust me, the 9W7 does have a lot to be desired, but the functionality over 9W2 is like night and day. I remember *****ing at the dealer (and getting free rental cars) for the first few weeks after I got it because my bluetooth wasn't performing as in the manual, and I had no knowledge of this lawsuit.

As for payments, this is an email I got back:

"In regards to your inquiry, we have checked with the settlement administrator and checks should be mailed out by late May.

Regards,
Rose

Rose F. Luzon, Esq.
Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah, LLP
401 West A Street, Suite 2350
San Diego, California 92101
Tel/619.235.2416
Fax/619.234.7334
rluzon@sfmslaw.com"

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^ That sounds great. Funny too, that the person communicating the information doesn't understand when to use regard and regards. They used regards correctly in the signature, but should have use regard in the text. It is one of my pet peeves in both written and spoken language, but seems especially odd to see it wrong from someone communicating with the public. It is even more odd, since they used it correctly one time.

I'm just happily waiting for the check. I can also say I'm happy I did the upgrade, check or no check. It was worth the cost, for the improved functionality!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
^^ That sounds great. Funny too, that the person communicating the information doesn't understand when to use regard and regards. They used regards correctly in the signature, but should have use regard in the text. It is one of my pet peeves in both written and spoken language, but seems especially odd to see it wrong from someone communicating with the public. It is even more odd, since they used it correctly one time.

I'm just happily waiting for the check. I can also say I'm happy I did the upgrade, check or no check. It was worth the cost, for the improved functionality!
Oh, and even more odd that they happen to be a darn attorney. I just got my BA in Poli Sci, Pre-legal studies, and we didn't have many dummies in our pre-law classes.

I agree with the improved functionality, although I'm finding I'm using my headset more lately.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
Why would you use your headset instead of the system's built-in mic and speakers?