Hella Headlight Washer Retrofit Kit on a Jetta

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 1.8t, 2003, Platinum Gray
Wow, I bought all my parts new at Mahag VW in Munich, and Otto Glückler in Frankfurt... and my total cost was about $420, after shipping it all to Denver. And that was with the rebar travelling as a checked bag....

Looks like it might have been easier to just buy all the stuff here.

Oh well, it was an adventure :)

--phil

mike

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 Tdi, RIP 2003 Jetta GLS 5sp
euro rebar on ebay

FYI,
aftermarket euro front rebar item on ebay
Picture looks like it might be correct.
Someone in the Hollywood area might
stop there to confirm this is euro part.
Hope this helps.

mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Headlight Washer Retrofit

I'm still looking for the complete invoice. But here's some notes I found in my VW folder from around that time.

1J5 955 109 & 110 A (washer covers): USD 25.00 / set
1J5 955 103 & 104 A (jet carrier): USD 25.00 / set

1J0 805 551 E Euro rebar w/mounts: USD 65.00
1J0 805 567 lock carrier support: USD 17.00

I remember the pump, reservoir, hoses and jets, etc. all came all in Hella kit box.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I got mine from Worldimpex. You wouldn't like the bill, however :)
It took about a month for them to get all the parts (covers, jets etc) from Germany.

tamorgen

Veteran Member
jcrews said:
I got mine from Worldimpex. You wouldn't like the bill, however :)
It took about a month for them to get all the parts (covers, jets etc) from Germany.
Yeah, John responded with the master list. It was like $630 + tax, and you still need to get the wiring from Kufatec.

I cross referenced the parts with 1stVWParts and they were a little cheaper on some items, but they don't have everything, mainly the special order European items, and Euro Rebar.

TMTuning did get back with me, and apparently they do have at least one more of the Hella kit left in their inventory, even though it's not listed on their web site any more. They also can supply the covers for the Jetta. I think I'm going to go that route, and I'll still have to have John order the remaining parts for me.

tamorgen

Veteran Member
Does anybody know what the difference between the Hella wiring, Kennedy's wiring, and Kufatec's wiring is? I know Kennedy just took the diagram and wired it up, but is there something fundamentally different about the Hella kit, other than the relay?

Last edited:

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
You do not need wiring from Kufatec. You need 5 lousy wires. Follow the steps from the OP; here are my notes.

I went to Ace and bought #14 red and black stranded thin wall chemical resistant wire. You'll need 15 feet at $.23/ft each color. I created an overlay harness by wrapping the wires together with friction tape, and capped the friction tape with electric insulating tape on each end.

I wanted to keep the factory look and rebuilt the right side wire harness that services the side marker, washer pump, sensor, headlight, etc. It had gotten gooped up with age and oil spray from the intake elbow splitting earlier anyway.

It was easy to do, just a little time consuming. NB: The plastic wire guide that goes under the tank will fit. It has to shift forward a few inches, so you just clip it to the body, and disregard the mounting stud. You can optionally get the one that would fit on the mounting stud.

The hard part is getting the wire in the plenum. I found a steel cable from a shredded tire resting on my condenser, and used it to fish through the boot on the right side. It wasn't easy, and I had to disconnect the harness from its mount in order to straighten it enough for the steel cable to find its way through. After a few tries, I was able to get through, and with some cable pulling lubricant, the rest was easy. When pulling the wire, I pulled the short end through, that is the wire was all on the cowl side, and pulled through to the engine room, then I rebuilt the rest of the harness. The left side of the plenum was easy since there's space under the protective wire channel cover.

I did not pass the wire through the protective cover under the wipers. I passed it through the wire channel, and bundled it with the harness going through the firewall, ala coolant migration overlay. My rationale was that the area was nasty, still a little moist, and I didn't have a shop vac handy to clean it out. I didn't want to break a waterproof seal for two lousy wires, and I would have wanted to replace the blind cover with a real wire sealing grommet. Additionally, the protective cover houses connectors, so it didn't seem like the factory way to route those particular wires. The firewall route was already poked, is easy to seal, and isn't exposed to as much water if at all compared to the wire box above.

You don't have to do it this way, but I used flat contacts available at the dealership whenever possible to terminate the wires. I used them in the pump connector, and in the fuse box. They were not available for the relay carrier connections, but you can use them for the SRA/56 signal from the light switch to the carrier. NB: For some reason, the OP split the lock entirely from the carrier. All you have to do is spread the long sides slightly with your fingers, and slide the block over to the right. The movement is very small, but you can see the stairstep teeth on the side and recognise the locked and unlocked position. Once the terminals are in, it just slides back. The other wires will not fall out as they are still secured with their barbs.

The fuse box lock is just as easy. Remove the paneling and noise insulation from the steering column area and free the fuse panel from the mount. Use a screwdriver to pry the lock down about 1/4". Insert the contacts in position 33, and close up the box. 33 is on the right side, attached to the battery. Use a ring connector for #14 wire and a 1/4" post. With the battery disconnected, attach the ring to the 30 connection on the relay panel. Use the one with the two thinner wires, not the big thick one. This is based on the location given in the Bentley manual.

I ran the power connections from the fuse box along the left side of the CCM, and all wires were wrapped with friction tape, and secured with teardrops (for service loops) to the original wire harness.

Once everything is bundled up, attach fuse 33 (20A) and attach the battery. Turn on the lights, and spray them with oodles of water. It does deplete the liquid supply fast, at least through a snowstorm, but they work beautifully. After getting a good coating in salt and grime, I stopped to eat somewhere. The lights were nice and clean, and it was visible because the cutoff pattern was still sharp. I have the Golf switch from my MFA installation, so I can push forward to get only the windshield wet, albeit with a slightly weakened spray.

You will need two yellow-orange wire seals for 2.5mm wire where the pump connector is.

You might be wondering why I used 15 feet of black wire instead of finding a ground somewhere near the pump. I attached the ground to the post left of the steering column in order to follow the factory wiring diagram as much as possible. The extra few feet of red wire is for the fuse box, and having too much is better than not having enough, especially for how cheap it is.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
tamorgen said:
Does anybody know what the difference between the Hella wiring, Kennedy's wiring, and Kufatec's wiring is? I know Kennedy just took the diagram and wired it up, but is there something fundamentally different about the Hella kit, other than the relay?
Kufatec is similar to following the repair manual. Hella seems to use a relay powered by the original wiper motor so it always sprays if I recall correctly. The factory way disables the sprayers when the lights are off and limits the run time. The pump runs long enough for the nozzles to come up and sneeze on the lights. The spray is about 1/2 second long and very powerful.

As for your other question about the jets, the jet carrier with jet is the piece that inserts into the pressure cylinder. In other words, just the nozzle. If you had the Hella kit, you'd have to buy Jetta jets to replace the Golf jets. If you can get the Hella kit, get it, and use the #603 relay and wiring instead of the included wiring. Impex stocks the rebar so it's easy to get. You will have to shop modify the tank if you want to keep the sensor. Alternatively you can get the complement connector and some wire seal plugs (without the holes) to cap the wire and recode the cluster for no washer tank warning.

The most expensive parts were the rebar, pressure cylinders, jets, covers, and relay. The rest just added up but was $7 here $10 there, etc.

Last edited:

tamorgen

Veteran Member
jcrews said:
Kufatec is similar to following the repair manual. Hella seems to use a relay powered by the original wiper motor so it always sprays if I recall correctly. The factory way disables the sprayers when the lights are off and limits the run time. The pump runs long enough for the nozzles to come up and sneeze on the lights. The spray is about 1/2 second long and very powerful.

As for your other question about the jets, the jet carrier with jet is the piece that inserts into the pressure cylinder. In other words, just the nozzle. If you had the Hella kit, you'd have to buy Jetta jets to replace the Golf jets. If you can get the Hella kit, get it, and use the #603 relay and wiring instead of the included wiring. Impex stocks the rebar so it's easy to get. You will have to shop modify the tank if you want to keep the sensor. Alternatively you can get the complement connector and some wire seal plugs (without the holes) to cap the wire and recode the cluster for no washer tank warning.

The most expensive parts were the rebar, pressure cylinders, jets, covers, and relay. The rest just added up but was $7 here $10 there, etc.
Thanks guys. Now, the million dollar question. TMTuning's kit, which is the Hella kit, but they sell two different versions, Golf & Bora. Are they providing the correct Bora washer carrier with that, so I don't have to order them from Impex? I know I read that normally the Hella kit only comes with the Golf carriers, but since TMT's kit lists Bora & Golf versions, I'm thinking the correct carriers are included.

tamorgen

Veteran Member
jcrews said:
If there's a Bora version then they already would pacakge the covers and jets else it's misrepresentation.
That's my guess. I'll just have to check the part numbers when they finally arrive. The receipt that TMTuning sent me says the week of December 15th, but it could be sooner or later, since it's so hard to gauge from Europe.

esilviu

TDI
VW BORA
Hello tamorgen,

-What was the price for the Hella washer retrofit kit for Bora, and where do you think it's possible to order from Europe?

-Do you know the Hella part number of the kit for Bora you will buy from TMTuning? (I found a universal Hella washer kit with telescopic double nozzles - Hella part number : 8WT 008 549-201, but I'm not sure if this will fit to my VW Bora - http://b2c.hella.com/b2c_hella/b2c/init.do?language=en&country=gb&shop=EN_GB&scenario.xcm=hella_gb and choose >Diverse>Headlight Cleaning System electric, 12 V on page 17).

-Does the kit you will buy include the 5.5 liters water tank?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

tamorgen

Veteran Member
esilviu said:
Hello tamorgen,

-What was the price for the Hella washer retrofit kit for Bora, and where do you think it's possible to order from Europe?

-Do you know the Hella part number of the kit for Bora you will buy from TMTuning? (I found a universal Hella washer kit with telescopic double nozzles - Hella part number : 8WT 008 549-201, but I'm not sure if this will fit to my VW Bora - http://b2c.hella.com/b2c_hella/b2c/init.do?language=en&country=gb&shop=EN_GB&scenario.xcm=hella_gb and choose >Diverse>Headlight Cleaning System electric, 12 V on page 17).

Thanks in advance.
Esilviu,
I purchased the kit from http://www.tmtuning.com/vw/. I must have purchased one of their last ones, because they do not list it on their web site anymore. I'm not sure of the exact part number from Hella. The one in your link is a unversal kit, which could be used on any car, but isn't a Bora/Golf specific kit. I did come with the 5.5 liter washer tank. My understanding is that Hella stopped producing it. You have two options: You can try the OEM route, which will run you quite a bit of money...$600 or $700 US. You can try and locate the kit, and see if anyone still has any left. TMTuning may still have some left, but have taken it off their site. It doesn't hurt to ask the question. Hope this helps.

mike

Veteran Member
TDI
esilviu said:
Hello tamorgen,

Thanks in advance.

This looks like the kit I got from TMtuning. I don't think the 5.5 litre tank was extra.

esilviu

TDI
VW BORA
Thank you for your quick reply. I will try to locate one (if there are anymore ) in Europe to reduce the shipping cost.

What price did you pay for the kit to TMTuning?

esilviu

TDI
VW BORA
Another question:
The Hella kit you bought from TMTuning you told me that includes the 5,5l water tank, does this include also the sensor for washing fluid or this must be bought separately ?
Thank you.

tamorgen

Veteran Member
esilviu said:
Another question:
The Hella kit you bought from TMTuning you told me that includes the 5,5l water tank, does this include also the sensor for washing fluid or this must be bought separately ?
Thank you.
It was $339 with shipping, and that also included the Bora covers and jets. The standard Hella kit comes with the jets and covers for a Golf, and you then have to buy the correct jets and covers for a Bora. TMTuning assembled a kit specifically for a Bora, based upon the Hella kit. Everything else is the same. If you can only locate the Golf kit, you can find the part numbers for the jet and cover on the first page of the thread.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
esilviu said:
Another question:
Thank you.
If your Bora already had the sensor it is the same one for the washer kit. If you do not the Hella kit includes(ed?) a plug for the hole in the tank so you could seal it.

I describe how I drilled my tank, (I got a tank with no hole in my kit), in the beginning of this thread.

esilviu

TDI
VW BORA
Thanks again,

I just checked with my local VW dealer for the price of all the OEM components for the VW Bora headlight washing system - that means:
5,5 l water tank, pump, 2 pressure cylinder (left, right), 2 jet carrier(left, right), 2 covers, 5m of hoses, all connecting parts, junction (T piece), gasket, pipe clips, all the screws, cable tie - all for the price of 210 EUR (VAT included)
To all these I should add cable set from Kufatec.de 23 EUR (sensor for washing fluid included) and relay 603 - 25EUR
That means a total of 258 EUR (VAT included) all VW OEM parts
What do you think?
In the link below you can see all the needed oem parts:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=50177&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=86185

Last edited:

tamorgen

Veteran Member
esilviu said:
Thanks again,

I just checked with my local VW dealer for the price of all the OEM components for the VW Bora headlight washing system - that means:
5,5 l water tank, pump, 2 pressure cylinder (left, right), 2 jet carrier(left, right), 2 covers, 5m of hoses, all connecting parts, junction (T piece), gasket, pipe clips, all the screws, cable tie - all for the price of 210 EUR (VAT included)
To all these I should add cable set from Kufatec.de 23 EUR (sensor for washing fluid included) and relay 603 - 25EUR
That means a total of 258 EUR (VAT included) all VW OEM parts
What do you think?

esilviu

TDI
VW BORA
In the price of $339 with shipping is the euro rebar included or should be bought separately?

tamorgen

Veteran Member
esilviu said:
In the price of $339 with shipping is the euro rebar included or should be bought separately?
The $339 price includes shipping from Berlin to Baltimore. The euro rebar was not included it that price. It would be obnoxiously expensive to ship that from europe. I have a source here in Balitmore that is getting me the rebar. I should be getting both within a week or so.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Mike & tamorgan:

How recently did you get your kits from TMT? I went to their website yesterday, and couldn't find it.

tamorgen

Veteran Member
Pat Dolan said:
Mike & tamorgen:

How recently did you get your kits from TMT? I went to their website yesterday, and couldn't find it.
Yeah, I had mentioned that. They don't seem to have it posted anymore. From my understanding, Hella discontinued the kit, so TMT is unable to stock it anymore, however, TMT can work with you to get it via all OEM parts. I believe the only thing that made the Hella kit different was the wiring, and that it came as a kit, so you didn't have to go find all the individual parts.

Last edited:

tamorgen

Veteran Member
Kit came in today from TMTuning

I received my Bora headlight washer kit from TMTuning last night via UPS. It took about 3 weeks to come in. It looks like TMTuning ships it to someone in Pennsylvania first, and then they ship it on to me.

As I had mentioned earlier in the thread, the Hella kit seems to be discontinued. The kit I ended up getting from TMTuning last night came with the 5,5 L tank, with the hole for the sensor already drilled, which was nice. TMTuning was great to work with, however, I was expecting more of the Hella kit, including a full wiring harness, which it lacked. TMTuning packaged me together most of what would have come in the Hella kit.

Parts list that it came with:

1J5-955-109-A-007 LEFT COVER Special Order (1)
1J5-955-104-A JET CARRIER WITH JET RIGHT (1)
1J5-955-103-A JET CARRIER WITH JET LEFT (1)
1J0-955-978-B PRESSURE CYLINDER (2)
1J0-955-964-F HOSE (3)
1J5-955-110-A-007 COVER RIGHT (1)
1J0-973-722-A HOUSING (1)
8D0-955-873 ADAPTOR (2)
3B7-955-681 Washer Pump (1)
1J0-955-453-L Windshield Washer Container 5.5L (1)
443-955-465 WASHER PUMP GROMMET (1)

It is slightly cheaper than what I would have paid through Impex, $339 vs $379 + MD tax & shipping. On the other hand, I am still needing some parts, as the kit is not entirely complete. To do it completely OEM, the following parts are needed:

N-103-275-01 SCREW (4)
N-902-056-01 WASHER (4)
1J0-805-551-E CROSSMEMBR (1)
447-971-843-B BRACKET (3)
1J0-955-875-C CONN PIECE (1)
8D0-955-873 ADAPTOR (1)
1J0-955-665-A PIPE (1)
4B0-955-531-E WIPER RELAY W/OUT RAIN SENSOR (1)
N-906-661-01 TIE STRAP (4)
N-102-555-01 CLIP (9)

The wiring harness also must be completed. Earlier in this thread, there was a link on how to make the harness. You can also purchase a premade kit from Kufatec for 19 Euro plus shipping. Shipping is what gets you, so if you have any other wiring projects planned, bundle them all together.

So, now I'm waiting on the parts that weren't included. My Euro Rebar is in at Impex, so I'm going to pick that up this weekend. Probably going to be another two weeks for the rest of it.

tamorgen

Veteran Member
Occams_Razor said:
It has been brought to my attention that the support for the lock carrier is different to correctly support the euro rebar. The correct part number for the support for the lock carrier is 1J0 805 567.

(I didn't bother getting the new lock carrier support so didn't originally give the part number.)

For some strange reason IMPEX shows 1J0 805 567 as being equivalant to 1J0 805 567 B, (which is the US lock carrier support), with 2 different prices. I think it is the same situation as the euro rebar. VWOA is crossindexing the euro number to its american counterpart. Buyer beware!
Is this lock carrier required? Is there a source for the Euro version? I've already got pretty much everything else, this is the last piece of the puzzle for me.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
tamorgen said:
Is this lock carrier required? Is there a source for the Euro version? I've already got pretty much everything else, this is the last piece of the puzzle for me.
Yes it is required. The US lock carrier brace doesn't bolt to the rebar in the same place. You could get away without it but :rolleyes:.

Impex has it correctly listed now with the 1J0 805 567 number. $41.06. :(

tamorgen

Veteran Member
Occams_Razor said:
Yes it is required. The US lock carrier brace doesn't bolt to the rebar in the same place. You could get away without it but :rolleyes:.

Impex has it correctly listed now with the 1J0 805 567 number. $41.06. :(
Great, good to know. I should just start renting a parking spot up there. I've been getting to know John and Joey way too much lately. Thanks for the tip!