Major screw up, now I get to buy a new injection pump

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
So last night I was replacing the seals on my pump. I have a 99.5 golf. I had watched the videos about a week ago. And had apparently forgotten some. I decided to only do the top cover and the quantity adjuster because the other one wasn’t leaking. I know, I was doing a half job. My car is at 410,000 miles now and I it’s my only car so I didn’t want to make it any more complicated than I had to. So when I went to put it back together I didn’t think about aligning the QA. Pin in the hole it belongs in. Now it bent the pin. So, now I’m looking for a cheap truck for the mean time to get to work and what is a good but cheap way to fix this? I feel like the car isn’t worth the money of a new pump. Can I possibly change just the QA? Should I look for a used pump from here? Thank you in advance for any help with my screw up.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
So last night I was replacing the seals on my pump. I have a 99.5 golf. I had watched the videos about a week ago. And had apparently forgotten some. I decided to only do the top cover and the quantity adjuster because the other one wasn’t leaking. I know, I was doing a half job. My car is at 410,000 miles now and I it’s my only car so I didn’t want to make it any more complicated than I had to. So when I went to put it back together I didn’t think about aligning the QA. Pin in the hole it belongs in. Now it bent the pin. So, now I’m looking for a cheap truck for the mean time to get to work and what is a good but cheap way to fix this? I feel like the car isn’t worth the money of a new pump. Can I possibly change just the QA? Should I look for a used pump from here? Thank you in advance for any help with my screw up.
I have a used ALH 10mm IP, 160k miles for sale. Removed to put a larger IP on. Been stored in diesel since removed. PM me if you're interested...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Try DFIS or internet search for parts, they're not common.
Or get those bits on the bench and see if they can be repaired.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Take your pin or pump over to Diesel Injection Services on 54th and Clay. If anyone has parts, they would. Steve and Rob work the counter, Rob owns a couple Mk4's

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Can you remove the pin and bend it back? Your not going to do any more damage than you have and hey maybe it might work.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Try Kirk Blackmore (r90sKirk) in Cedar Springs...right around the block from Grand Rapids.
He is listed in the trusted mechanics thread in TDI 101. He has a bunch of pumps there and may have a few parts on hand.

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Try Kirk Blackmore (r90sKirk) in Cedar Springs...right around the block from Grand Rapids.
He is listed in the trusted mechanics thread in TDI 101. He has a bunch of pumps there and may have a few parts on hand.
Beat me to it... definitely give Kirk a shout. Good guy always willing to help out.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Some guy the other day said I was too expensive to seal a pump. I said, "thats what you pay to get someone with experience and knows what they're doing".

He wasn't happy with that and found some "illegal alien" to do the work cheaper. Hope it didn't turn out like this one.

Poor "mechanican" and poor "ownership" (like sportsmanship) kill bunches of tdis.

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
I really dont think anything in the pump is damaged. Is there a way to just replace the QA? I could find a tear down of an older VE pump but not ours. Ive been looking for a newer lower mile TDI from the south. Im not ready to part with my car yet, but really not wanting to put close to $1000 into a car with 410,000 miles on it. I can get fuel to cylinders 1 and 2, but not to 3 and 4.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
To swap out the QA you will need a pin release tool or facsimile to detach the N108 valve from the harness connector ...or buy the N108 with the QA.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
What makes you think the pin on the QA is bent? If it wasn't in the hole but was hitting the collar it wouldn't have seated on the pump body. It would have been sitting a good 3/8" too high. I don't think the bolts are long enough for you to force it down to bend the pin.

If you missed the hole you might get a runaway or no start.

If you are getting fuel to two cylinders you probably just need to bleed it more and get the QA located properly.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
On the VE pump, if the QA pin is not in the hole, the engine will start will it will not accelerate above idle. Does your engine try to accelerate? Just a thought...

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
it looks bent. I can get a picture tomorrow. it would not start since i have had everything apart. I guess that gives me some hope.

Just a little more detail about what I did. I was planning on doing all three seals. Last minute I got a little intimidated with doing the last one, the pump head. I had sucked all the fuel out if the pump. when I went to put it back together I though I never rotated anything, it should go right back together. well when I sucked the fuel out I moved the collar.

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
I spent a few hours priming it yesterday, getting every last air bible out. I still can’t get fuel to all the cylinders. I didn’t take it apart yet to get a picture. If I did bend it, which I’m pretty sure I did, but it’s not more than there is adjustment in the QA. I move the QA to compensate. If I manage to get the pin to the right of the collar, the. The cam pushed it and bent it to the left, would there be any pump damage. I moving toward getting a new pump. I’ve been planning on getting a new to me mk4 tdi. They seem to be getting hard to find though! I guess this one mightn’t be worth fixing up. It’s an Arizona car. It’s been in Michigan for 8 years now.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If you're getting fuel to two injectors you should get it to all. They all get their fuel from the same place. There's one hole in the distributer shaft that feeds all four cylinders. Analogous to the center pin on distributor cap.

I don't think the QA motor could bend the pin.

I don't think a bent pin would go into the collar but if it did it would probably bind. The pin is a close fit in the hole.

You could take off the top cover and rotate the QA shaft by hand. It should turn freely against the spring's resistance.

I think, and hope for your sake, that you just have the QA in the wrong place. Have you tried repositioning it?

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
I have. I think what happened was the pin was to the right of the collar. So when I turned the car over the cam in the pin pushed it? I don’t know. It’s not bent much within the adjustment range of the QA. I’m really puzzled by the not getting fuel to all cylinders though. I had someone crank the engine over while I had the pump open and watched To see what happened. It spun, I don’t remember if it moved back Andy forth as much as it should have. I wasn’t as familiar with the pump as I am now. I’m just going to get another pump I think. Maybe take this one apart to see what I find and for fun. Is there any core value to a non working pump?

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
I've got a good working 10mm pump from my 2003. It had 329k on it when I switched to an 11mm. Still working good. I have it wrapped up in plastic bags in my garage. $200 shipped it's yours. Or I can drive it out to you Saturday, I live in Redford.