What did you do to your car today?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Rebuilt the door panels on my 1971 Super Beetle. Used old, dried out panel cores as a pattern template and made new cores out of 1/8" thick transite panel. Ordered new hardware clips and re-used the old (but not real old) covers. Added a moisture barrier on door to keep water off the panels.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
well, Monday, Krout replaced my exploded fuel tank, and the fuel pump. replaced all brakes, pads and rotors. and a sweet new tint all around.

Getting ready for the major 300k mile maintenance next year.(currently at 268k)

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Last week - Bought my first MK3 Jetta TDI. This thing looks showroom new inside and out, green with tan cloth, no sunroof :) and manual windows but power locks.

Purchased from 91 year old man that bought it new, he was downsizing to 1 car and kept his B6 Passat gasser since he only drives to breakfast occasionally.

It currently has low power, VCDS shows 0053, 65535, 01050, and 00575 sub code 17-10. I will be digging into this soon. I did already replace vacuum line inside ECU but am waiting on fuel filter, air filter, and oil filter to arrive to start troubleshooting in depth.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Last week - Bought my first MK3 Jetta TDI. This thing looks showroom new inside and out, green with tan cloth, no sunroof :) and manual windows but power locks.

Purchased from 91 year old man that bought it new, he was downsizing to 1 car and kept his B6 Passat gasser since he only drives to breakfast occasionally.

It currently has low power, VCDS shows 0053, 65535, 01050, and 00575 sub code 17-10. I will be digging into this soon. I did already replace vacuum line inside ECU but am waiting on fuel filter, air filter, and oil filter to arrive to start troubleshooting in depth.
Where are the pictures? :confused:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

That's a find. I bought my black A3 from an elderly gentleman with a similar story. Found the cat was plugged from too much gentle driving, at 34K miles. Something to check.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
That's a find. I bought my black A3 from an elderly gentleman with a similar story. Found the cat was plugged from too much gentle driving, at 34K miles. Something to check.
Hello indigobluewagon

I am guilty of gentle driving -- and only 4,750 miles on car --so far

I do some spirited accelerations, (about every time I take it out), but do not go over 75-ish MPH

Yesterday I did drive 155 miles (Tulsa to Stillwater), used normal speed limits over and back

i. e. 60 - 70 - 75 - 65 (MPH) Then reverse numbers back to Tulsa

The bad part was only 53-ish on the dash MPG. Thinking the reality (pen and paper) might be only 48-ish MPG

Do you think I am starting to plug my converter?

Thanks for any thoughts:)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think the converter plugging issue is the same with the newer cars. Regens will take care of soot accumulation. Gentle driving will equal more frequent regens. The risk with the new cars is too many short trips and interrupted regens. I've read about folks here with MKVI TDIs that run very poorly because they've been deprived of regens. Otherwise I think you're OK.

Also, keep in mind that dogdots car was on the road for nearly 10 years before ULSD was in universal use. Older, higher soot fuel was more likely to clog intakes and CATs.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think the converter plugging issue is the same with the newer cars. Regens will take care of soot accumulation. Gentle driving will equal more frequent regens. The risk with the new cars is too many short trips and interrupted regens. I've read about folks here with MKVI TDIs that run very poorly because they've been deprived of regens. Otherwise I think you're OK.

Also, keep in mind that dogdots car was on the road for nearly 10 years before ULSD was in universal use. Older, higher soot fuel was more likely to clog intakes and CATs.
Thank you kindly, Indi :)

I do watch for re-gen interruption went I stop the engine. Only happened once, about a year ago. It got my attention with the fan noise. LOUD

I check the idle speed as I off the car. 800 is good. 1,000 is the re-gen on my car. As best I understand.

Thanks again

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wash the bugs off windshield.

Did a full walk around inspection ~~ results 99.9% like new.

Planing to do a drive way wash this week end.

Need to buy some good "tire black" application.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Within the last two weeks:

New MOOG front strut assemblies
New Bilstein TC rear shocks
New headliner

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Going this afternoon for the registration. $96.00 plus $1.50 fee for insurance verification.

Darn other issue, they are changing the "plate". No (extra) charge, but still a nuisance. :mad:

In the past, we just got a little "sticker" to put on the old plate.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Going this afternoon for the registration. $96.00 plus $1.50 fee for insurance verification.

Darn other issue, they are changing the "plate". No (extra) charge, but still a nuisance. :mad:

In the past, we just got a little "sticker" to put on the old plate.

Curious. Why are they changing the plate? So the new electronic scanners can read it? Yeah, I'm a little paranoid, lol.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Curious. Why are they changing the plate? So the new electronic scanners can read it? Yeah, I'm a little paranoid, lol.
Having no "good" info......

My beef is the trouble of changing the plate. (tools, nuts, bolts, screws, bloody fingers) :mad:

Normally one "good" plate was good for the life of ownership on that car. At registration time we just got a small "sticker" to paste over the old sticker. Easy Peasy

Now that we have the "NEW" plate, wonder what we do next year.:p

BTW, there is now a $18.00 new charge to get your old plate number.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I don't know what the rationale is in Oklahoma, but Washington started replacing plates over X years old, claiming that the visibility of the plate degraded over time.
I'm thinking that it's cheap printing of the text, as much as anything, and another chance to get in our pockets over registration...

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Having no "good" info......

My beef is the trouble of changing the plate. (tools, nuts, bolts, screws, bloody fingers) :mad:

Normally one "good" plate was good for the life of ownership on that car. At registration time we just got a small "sticker" to paste over the old sticker. Easy Peasy

Now that we have the "NEW" plate, wonder what we do next year.:p

BTW, there is now a $18.00 new charge to get your old plate number.
Well I googled and found this article. http://newsok.com/article/5514945
...."Starting next year, when motorists renew their vehicle registration, there will be an additional one-time charge of $5, more than twice what it will cost to make the plate.

Gov. Mary Fallin said it will be easier for police to read the plates, which also could help officers catch people driving unregistered cars, and could even reduce the number of people driving without insurance.

...A local advertising agency designed it at a cost of $1,350.

Prison labor will produce the plates, with some of the material coming from the 3M company.

The cost per plate will be $2.05, but state officials did not have a breakdown for what comprises that figure or what 3M will make.

About $15 million will be generated for a public safety fund, over and above what it costs to make the license plate for an estimated 3.7 million vehicles in Oklahoma.

State Rep. Jason Murphey, R-Guthrie, said the old plates are fine and do not need to be replaced.

"I thought it was an absolutely unnecessary cash grab by state government," he said.

The new plates have reflective material intended to make them more visible at night.

Backers of the new plates say many existing plates are worn down, weathered or damaged and are hard to read in low light situations.

They say old plates also are more difficult to identify in photographs, such as those taken on turnpikes, where cameras capture images of vehicles driven by people who don't pay tolls.

There is a small bar code on the bottom of the plate that is used for inventory management, said Michael McNutt, a spokesman for the governor."

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I googled and found this article. http://newsok.com/article/5514945

Gov. Mary Fallin said it will be easier for police to read the plates, which also could help officers catch people driving unregistered cars, and could even reduce the number of people driving without insurance.

....snip...

Prison labor will produce the plates, with some of the material coming from the 3M company.

....snip....

The new plates have reflective material intended to make them more visible at night.

Backers of the new plates say many existing plates are worn down, weathered or damaged and are hard to read in low light situations.

They say old plates also are more difficult to identify in photographs, such as those taken on turnpikes, where cameras capture images of vehicles driven by people who don't pay tolls. ....snip...."
My sincere thanks to Bobt for this post:)

One out of every four Okies on the roads are insurance-less. :mad:

Persons who DO pay, (for insurance) pay for the cheaters who do NOT pay.

Same for the state tax revenues, regarding the registration of vehicles.

Okieville once has a $2 TAG for farmers. As long as it was being used for farm related use (100%) The good ol' boys had 2-4 bales of hay in the PU bed. But they did not travel much out of the area

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know what the rationale is in Oklahoma, but Washington started replacing plates over X years old, claiming that the visibility of the plate degraded over time.
I'm thinking that it's cheap printing of the text, as much as anything, and another chance to get in our pockets over registration...

If the "new" issuance of a tag with yearly registration will put an end to insurance evaders, this Okie is for it.

Let's get 'em all off the roads:mad:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None

Today I resolved all the issues with the MK 3 Jetta :) Intake manifold was choked down to about 1" with soot/carbon, I replaced the intake with a clean one we had on the shelf. Also did timing belt/tensioner/roller, last done at 130k, car is now at 180k. Also replaced fuel filter, vacuum lines, installed boost gauge, and installed a new air filter. The car runs fantastic now, it runs as good as it looks finally.

This thing is really a cream puff. I plan to post some pictures soon, but I'm in a hurry now as I am going to look at an E90 6 speed manual to replace my daughters recently totaled E60.

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
Dogdots, would love to see pics when you can. Sounds like a nice ride!

Prob a silly question, but I'm guessing you also cleaned the intake ports when you did the intake manifold?

Vailj123

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI Sedan ALH
Got most of my KermaTDI high mileage timing belt kit installed. Plan on finishing tomorrow. Also took my EGR valve and intake manifold off and cleaned a TON of diesel boogers out of them. Definitely considering the EGR delete for sure!