New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
But your GC CRD isn't a car with a 4-cylinder diesel, it's a truck with a V6.

Make your GC the size of a Passat, and lop two cylinders off, then we can talk.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Older Jeep Four Cylinder Diesel

But your GC CRD isn't a car with a 4-cylinder diesel, it's a truck with a V6.
Make your GC the size of a Passat, and lop two cylinders off, then we can talk.
:)

Try this one on for size:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySide.jsp?column=1&id=22529

Compare how much better this 2.8L four banger (Italian) with 4WD diesel does
when figuring the lower miles per gallon of even the manual tranny 3.7 gasser!

I drove a used one a few years ago with 9K miles on the odometer that was on
a lot here in Southern California (San Diego) and it was fully loaded with
the original sticker in the glove compartment. Very nice indeed.

:D

D

bhtooefr

TDI
None
True, the GC gets (and sometimes beats) the figures that rotarykid claimed a 4-cylinder car would get, while being a 6-cylinder truck.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Can the RNS 510 be added later to an SE Passat? What about KESSY and remote start?

If so, how difficult would it be? A friend of mine likes the NAV in the SEL but doesn't want to pay for all the other SEL features and doesn't want the lower-resolution NAV offered in the SE.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Looks like that thing is very expensive, too. Maybe he should get one of the Chinese units... Otherwise, it seems like it's a better deal to just buy the SEL. Do you know of a place that sells the Kenwood at a good price?

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
The Passat Trims & Specs section of the VW website which was first plain useless and later blank, now has separate information for each trim level. (Sadly, the "text" version has no vertical alignment of features between specs so it's hard to compare.)

It lists:
No "chrome protective strips" except on the upper trim levels - are those sill protectors, at the bottom of the door edge, or the desperately necessary midlle-of-door ding pcatchers?

"Rear passenger ventilation for heat and A/C". As the pictures of the rear of the console (none on the VW website itself) show no vents, I guess this means under-seat vents, if true at all?

SE: "Power lumbar for driver seat, manual for passenger"
Manual lumbar support would get me most the way to comfort (and hopefully make power lumbar easier to retrofit, if it's no a whole different system).
But that is new, and not mentioned anywhere else except the standard/optional features table (with the same wording).

But then, the text also lists no foglights on TDI-SE/nav and TDI-SEL even though the pictures above show them, so my trust in this is limited.
Worse, the table says only these two top trim levels get 12V outlets, while the text also list them for the SE-manual but not the SE-DSG.
While it's nuts to exclude these on any trim level (spending plastic molding NRE money to make the cover to take away a feature...), it's believeable, but again, there is a contradiction.

I'd really like to know what's what, but now I can't find the 800-VW-gives-a- number.

I wonder about German engineering vs. American marketing in all this,
but then I see things like "side marker", which is noteworthy because a) though a US brochure writer may still be silly enough to list these like not every car in the US has them, a German would be more likely to do so since they've only been legal, much less common, there for a few years, and b) only a German would (based on the way it is in German) think that the plural of "marker" is "marker".

Last edited:

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
It lists:
No "chrome protective strips" except on the upper trim levels - are those sill protectors, at the bottom of the door edge, or the desperately necessary midlle-of-door ding pcatchers?

http://terryatamian.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2012-passat.jpg
http://web.vw.com/blogassets/passat/files/2011/08/2012-Passat-Motor-Trend.jpg
http://www.autocenterblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2012-VolksWagen-Passat-3.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSn...EM/cZeTtf3jn9g/s200/2012-VW-Passat-USA-15.JPG
http://www.cheersandgears.com/uploads/1295280011/gallery_76_363477.jpg

The TDI SE doesn't have the chrome and looks like the 2.5 gas model unless you get the Nav trim:

SE gas:
http://images.autoconx.com/Photos/086/503599086_1_B.jpg
http://cdn8.wn.com/ph/img/d6/15/be7bae74bfb42c1bf9dd0ffe04b0-grande.jpg

"Rear passenger ventilation for heat and A/C". As the pictures of the rear of the console (none on the VW website itself) show no vents, I guess this means under-seat vents, if true at all?
It must, because the SEL cars at dealerships don't have rear middle vents.

Last edited:

jcasari

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg2 Auto, 2010 Jetta TDI Auto
I just saw the SEL TDI at a dealership:

It does have under seat vents. Also, the center vents from the front blow very hard. I'm in Houston and it is currently 106 outside and I was impressed how well the car was cooling in the back seat. Not sure how much the under seat vents contributed, but the front center vents were blowing so well that I could feel a breeze in the back seat. I had test driven a Lexus ES350 earlier the same day, with rear vents, and it was not as good for me as the vents blew on my leg but not my body.

Also, the salesman told me that they were adding the vents in the rear center console but it would not be there for the first delivery (which he expected in early October). The second batch (late October delivery) was expected to have the rear vents. Not sure if this is accurate or not but according to the salesman it was a major oversight that they realized they needed to correct and could not wait until the next year model.

Jorge

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Also, the salesman told me that they were adding the vents in the rear center console but it would not be there for the first delivery (which he expected in early October). The second batch (late October delivery) was expected to have the rear vents. Not sure if this is accurate or not but according to the salesman it was a major oversight that they realized they needed to correct and could not wait until the next year model.
That's ridiculously unfair for those who ordered the first batch.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
That's ridiculously unfair for those who ordered the first batch.
Those that ordered the first batch ordered them with the knowledge that they didn't have center vents. And, it's common knowledge that VW changes stuff quite often in the first model year of a car.

If they want center vents, I hear there's this program called ETKA that gives you part numbers.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Those that ordered the first batch ordered them with the knowledge that they didn't have center vents. And, it's common knowledge that VW changes stuff quite often in the first model year of a car.
If they want center vents, I hear there's this program called ETKA that gives you part numbers.
No, it's lame to make a car inferior before it has even been picked up by a buyer. I can see making changes after six months, but this is ridiculous.
Buyers of the first wave should get center vents if they're going to be on the wave in the following month. That's good business. "Screw the early adopter" is not. People should be rewarded, not penalized, for pre-ordering.
according to the salesman it was a major oversight that they realized they needed to correct and could not wait until the next year model.
Which means they need to correct it for the first wave of cars being sold. How ridiculous is it to penalize early adopters by sticking them with a car that has inferior one-month-only specs? Preposterous! It's their oversight, so why should those who pre-ordered pay the price?

Last edited:

sudseh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 4door
No, it's lame to make a car inferior before it has even been picked up by a buyer. I can see making changes after six months, but this is ridiculous.
Buyers of the first wave should get center vents if they're going to be on the wave in the following month. That's good business. "Screw the early adopter" is not. People should be rewarded, not penalized, for pre-ordering.

Which means they need to correct it for the first wave of cars being sold. How ridiculous is it to penalize early adopters by sticking them with a car that has inferior one-month-only specs? Preposterous! It's their oversight, so why should those who pre-ordered pay the price?
dude, you don't even have a passat. what gives?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
The people who bought the first wave of cars KNEW THEY WERE BUYING CARS WITHOUT REAR VENTS.

If it was such a critical issue, then they SHOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT THE FIRST WAVE. And, it sounds like it needed to be corrected because people WEREN'T buying the first wave, due to a lack of rear vents.

It's extremely common knowledge that you don't buy the first model year of a VW, because stuff like this changes, and the first year parts are the first to get discontinued. (Yes, I know, I have an 8/98 production Mk4 Golf TDI. Bite me. :p)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
It's extremely common knowledge that you don't buy the first model year of a VW, because stuff like this changes, and the first year parts are the first to get discontinued. (Yes, I know, I have an 8/98 production Mk4 Golf TDI. Bite me. :p)
Yep, I made that mistake once (1st year VW), 99.5 Jetta TDI. Great car, but definitely a work-in-progress that had most of the first-year maladies reported on this forum (fortunately, the worst one, coolant migration, happened to the subsequent owner!)

Now with the Amerissat, not only are you buying a first-year VW, but also a car from a first-year manufacturing facility. A lose-lose IMHO!!!

I'd stay cool and sit this one out for at least 2 years :cool:

99Jet

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Yep, I made that mistake once (1st year VW), 99.5 Jetta TDI. Great car, but definitely a work-in-progress that had most of the first-year maladies reported on this forum (fortunately, the worst one, coolant migration, happened to the subsequent owner!)

Now with the Amerissat, not only are you buying a first-year VW, but also a car from a first-year manufacturing facility. A lose-lose IMHO!!!

My last VW was a 99.5 - had no issues.

With the "Amerissat", I agree - risk with 1st model year and even more risk with 1st model year at a new factory.

That's why I'll be leasing!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Try to source parts for a '98 NB or '99.5 Jetta/Golf. Not no issues. Some are obselete, like the lower intercooler piping, and have to be replaced with updated assemblies. Not a huge deal, but we all sigh when a customer with a '98 NB calls. I had one customer who's '98 had an A3 alternator. It took three tries to figure that out.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs

+1 All the words about center vents & AWD, etc, etc. This post hits the mark dead on.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I've made that mistake twice so far, although with used cars both times.

Fun fact: a 1985 Jetta has plenty of Mk1 bits on the inside. I didn't get burned too badly by year-to-year changes, though - 1985 Golf diesels were far worse with 1985-only stuff, though.

As for 1999.5 bugs, the only one I've been burned by is the hot start bug, and RC2 fixed that. ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Other things aren't bugs as much as parts differences. Connectors on the N75 and N18, coolant temp sensors, clutch and flywheel, shift linkage, rear axle bushings (on a few very early cars), sway bar size (some Golfs had 17mm bars), non-immo ECU, lack of ABS on very early '98 NBs, rear brake calipers and parking brake cables...you get the idea. I'm sure the early Passats will have similar 'evolutions' in parts that most won't discover for years. I honestly don't think it's a huge deal, but it can make some parts more expensive and finding them a bit more difficult.

I've learned through ownership and sourcing parts that the '02-03 ALH cars were the best of breed in many ways, including the ECU hardware and software. I'm hoping the same is true for the '12 Golfs. A few years of production does seem to help.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I had a 82 S-10, which was the first year. A couple of problems I ran into were that the lug nuts were metric while the tire wrench was standard and Chevy changed the exhaust the next year, for the worse. My exhaust came out near the rear bumper. The newer exhaust came out up against the rear mudflap and continually burned holes in it. When I put on a new exhaust, I had to get a custom pipe because no one stocked the refit for my truck.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
The people who bought the first wave of cars KNEW THEY WERE BUYING CARS WITHOUT REAR VENTS.
If it was such a critical issue, then they SHOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT THE FIRST WAVE. And, it sounds like it needed to be corrected because people WEREN'T buying the first wave, due to a lack of rear vents.
Shouting doesn't make your point of view any more compelling.

There are more important factors involved, which I have pointed out. But, since you think penalizing customers for pre-ordering is good business I fail to see why it's worthwhile to continue to reply to your posts on this subject.

Fact is, the way most businesses work is that pre-ordering comes with bonus content, not penalties!

It's also extremely stupid to penalize customers for VW's mistake. VW made the bigger mistake by not putting those vents in.
So, customers are supposed to adjust their shopping habits to compensate for bad business practices? That's your impressive point? How about not having bad business practices, like penalizing buyers for pre-ordering?

There are plenty of ways to reduce the pain early adopters feel, plenty of ways to do good business. Pointing fingers at people and calling them stupid for buying the product is not one of them.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
dude, you don't even have a passat. what gives?
I care about business. Good business is essential, not only for the seller but for the buyer.

Poor business practices cost everyone involved. That's what Ford learned with its exploding Pinto.

If indeed these cars are going to get central rear vents in October then VW had better make sure it ships out the September cars with them, too. Or, they'll have to figure out how to provide the customers with a method of having them dealer-installed at no cost.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Wow, having just read through several pages of this thread, I'm honestly shocked to see how many people feel almost entitled to certain options and features. I got news for you, not including features or including extra features that may or may not have been disclosed up-front is common to ALL car manufacturers. And, until you've signed a bill of sale, VW can add or subtract from the content all it wants. You can be pissed, but VW is under no obligation at all to include anything specific. A deposit means nothing, only that you intend to buy the vehicle. If you want to be an early adopter, you run the risk of missing or added content from ANY car manufacturer. If you're a person that's particularly concerned about the content of his or her car, then I highly suggest you wait until you see the car in-person before you make that final decision to buy.

Ugh, this thread makes my head hurt like the MkIV forums on VWvortex!

bhtooefr

TDI
None
oxford_guy: And, as I've stated time and time again, people paid for a car with no center vents. That's what they're getting.

VW's decided to add center vents. They have no moral or legal obligation to add those on cars that weren't ordered with them.

If you're so offended by VW's business practices, why do you own a new VW? (Of course, I'm not convinced that you actually do own one, and you're not just a troll...)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's also worked the other way. VW de-contented early '06 Jetta sedans. They had many fewer features than an '05.5 with the same option package. Then they added some of the items back in later in the model year.

oxford_guy, getting on a soap box about this isn't going to change anything. If a customer pre-orders a car and it doesn't have center vents, they can refuse to complete the purchase and order again if it's that important. The benefit to pre-ordering is getting the car sooner. A fleeting benefit, at most.