Engine = BLOWN!

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI

Parts on their way!!!

Anybody have a alternator laying around :confused:. Still gotta find one, Still cant believe how it got murdered.....

madrean

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I have my 02 ALH original Bosch alternator I swapped out at 190k miles. Was working when I took it off.

Interested?

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Wasn't in a very good mood on friday.....

Got started on taking apart the block

Got my box of goodies

And then I saw this :mad:

Looks like I got 2 ALH pistons and 2 ASV pistons... This certainly set me back, was hoping to have the block built and put in the car so i would just have to put the head back on when the engine shop was done with it.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
How did they manage to give you ASV pistons? You guys didn't even get the ASV. I know they maybe fit and are an upgrade of sorts but I'm still suprised they sent them out to you.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
that sucks on the mixup but the good news is that if you used the vendor i think you did, a quick phone-call and by today or tomorrow you should have the correct parts in your hand.

are you going to send the rotating assemble to be balanced once its all assembled?

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Just got of the phone with Aaron (bleachedbora) @ boraparts. There in the middle of moving to a new warehouse, apologized for the mix up and is sending new pistons, should have them before Thursday.

Thanks Aaron!

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
that sucks on the mixup but the good news is that if you used the vendor i think you did, a quick phone-call and by today or tomorrow you should have the correct parts in your hand.

are you going to send the rotating assemble to be balanced once its all assembled?
Would be nice to get it balanced I suppose but jut gunna throw them in and run it

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Wasn't in a very good mood on friday.....

Got started on taking apart the block

Got my box of goodies

And then I saw this :mad:

Looks like I got 2 ALH pistons and 2 ASV pistons... This certainly set me back, was hoping to have the block built and put in the car so i would just have to put the head back on when the engine shop was done with it.

We have had this same thing happen when ordering pistons from one of our suppliers. The boxes have been upgraded. The ASV piston you have is in the newer style box. But the pistons we have received numbered identically on the box, but could be either the ASV or the ALH. We could only tell by opening the box and examining the pistons.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
That sucks! How to make life easier, not.

As for the ASV pistons I heard they've some extra oil channels or something to help with cooling. What sort of power was that thing pushing out when it was pushing? :D

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Haven't check clearances in the block... It's low mileage just going on the assumption that it will be fine
This is a horrible idea. It will take maybe a day to measure the chritical stuff. Time well wasted if you ask me.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I suggest to check EVERYTHING in the shortblock. You will be using a mix of old and new parts, you should care what fits and how well.

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Pics...

Rods & pistons ready

old block out

#*%$&@?!?,
new engine ready

head ported

stock exhaust

ported exhaust

Stock exhaust

Ported exhaust

Engine Is in just waiting on a rod bolt should have it running by the weekend hopefully

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Haven't been on here in a bit.... Engine is in and runs great. Mileage has shot up from around 800km per tank to a solid 1000km. A bit more pull in the top end and it screams!!! Going to have to put a muffler on it when I get a chance...