Cheap way to drain fuel filter

GGK

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
I picked up a brake bleeder kit from harbor freight today, on sale for $17 and change. Had to use a small piece of larger fuel line to fit on the filter though but with accessories with the bleeder, all fit nicely. Took about 6 pumps and drained 3-4 oz from filter.....took only a few minutes....no water, clean as a whistle.:)

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
most probably to send to the lab to test for water I guess.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You need to remove the old fuel before putting in the new fuel filter.

I usually remove the canister and turn it upside down, then wash it with brake clean.

GGK

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Mine has the old style , the drain runs to the bottom, where water settles, easy way to keep water out and to check it once in awhile.
That way if the HPFP craps out, dealer can't say it was contaminated fuel...

Adrenolize

TDI
2013 Jetta MkVI TDI Premium
Just did my service on my 2006 Jetta. Is it critical to remove this fuel from the filter housing? I took the old one out and threw the new one in figuring that this was a good chance for the new one to pre-soak for better flow at cranking.

I'm knew at this, so be kind if I just jacked it up!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The fuel remaining in your housing is badly contaminated - dirty side mixes with clean side.
So it is good to clean it out before installing your filter.
But your filter o-rings scrub most of the dirty fuel and particles off the mount as it slides down.
Nothing to panic over.

Adrenolize

TDI
2013 Jetta MkVI TDI Premium
Thanks! I'll try that next time around. I will try a turkey baster first before spending more money I guess.

I saw mention about the de-greaser wipe down after cleaning the fuel out. Is this necessary?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Depends upon who you talk to. Some people are more detail oriented than others.
I dump the canister into a clean glass, after removing it, and the quickest and easiest way to clean it is then a quick squirt of brake cleaner (not engine degreaser), letting it drain out.

I do this to see if any water droplets are in there. (None so far in 3+ years.)

As long as the center stalk is clean, the rest is not really required. Any dirt or dirty fuel that is trapped in the center of the filter will go directly to your injectors. The outside of the filter always has dirty fuel.