engine light- throttle plate closed/stuck

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Lightflyer1 said:
Seems like that is the new trend. Can't buy parts, you must buy assemblies now.
You can't buy "parts" because very few people are smart enough to figure out which "part" needs replacing. They wouldn't sell enough "parts" to make it worth creating a new stocking number and location.

McDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta, Spice Red
Did the disassembly last night to a point. Somebody must have borrowed my 1/4" universal so the bottom bolt was just out of reach. I have a T30 bit in a 1/4" socket but my extensions were all too long to allow access. The universal seems like it would give the desired angle and the proper length to allow the ratchet in and it should be cake.

It didn't matter whether key on or key off, running or shut down, the flapper stays open. This is contrary to the P2112 code claiming "stuck closed". The motor that controls the flapper makes a high pitched noise as it trying to work, but the flapper didn't even twitch. I cleaned inside the bore top and bottom thinking it may help in the event the flapper would close that it may not stick. Will revisit this over the weekend after I find/buy a universal and may open up the housing for inspection.

The wires that go to the connector for this unit are ok (no broken insulation) but there is a "pinch point" at which the plastic jacket that the wires are wrapped with is cracked, leaving the wires more vulnerable. Will tape that section after I pull the unit off and can more thoroughly check it over.

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/DSG,2002 Jetta w/ 01m,99 Jetta
i also have a stripped gear. I was wondering is there any real bad effects to just leaving the flapper broken? if it does no harm, and essentially lessens the amount of exhaust being suck in the intake than i see no benefits to fixing it. Mine is stuck open and it really doesn't shut down that rough.

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
The throttle body, or 'regulating flap', part number 03G-128-063-G is $275 IIRC.
My 06 Jetta has the same issue, throwing a P2015 code and Emissions Workshop message. Took it to the dealership with my printout for the code (I had cleared it with my vag-com), they said it was the flap that needs replacing. I did search for the part number listed above and got couple of places it was around $210.

The dealer quoted a parts price of $300 and two hours of labor at $110 plus tax for a grand total of $620. I told them to forget it.

My question is how easy is to replace it. It looks like 4 bolts holding the thing in place, plus the harness for the motor. Is there a gasket in between the EGR and the flap? Is there any caveat in replacing it myself? Are there are minor tricks that you gurus and experienced TDI folks can tell me?

Any little help is appreciated. Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The part comes with the o-ring seal. Not that difficult to replace, you may want a 5mm ball-ended Allen socket, a good one.

mobiledaveb

TDI
Mk5 New Jetta TDI (NO MORE)
Mine threw the 2112 again this weekend. Looks like I'll be ordering the part as well. I read somewhere on here that it needs to be calibrated after installation?

Thanks!

db

mobiledaveb

TDI
Mine failed completely yesterday as my son was pulling into the driveway. (Talk about timig) Gear grinding noise as the stepper motor attempts to move the flap. Picked up the replacement part this morning.

Thanks everyone for the pointers.

mobiledaveb

TDI
I did the replacement this afternoon. Pretty quick and easy task - took me about 20 minutes from start to finish. Rather than bending the intake hose out of the way, I just disconnected it at both ends and pulled it out and set it aside. I was surprised how much oil there was inside it. I set it on end to drain and covered the openings with lint free rags to keep any dust out.

I used a torx bit with ratchet and had the defective unit out with ease. It had a fair bit of carbon on the inside but not enough to interfere with the operation. I did notice a bit of play in the flap which indicated there were stripped teeth on the gear inside. I pulled the cover of the motor and found that there were about four teeth stripped off the gear attached to the spring-loaded flap shaft.

A good troubleshooting technique might be to check for any play with the flap. If it moves that is a good indication there are stripped gears.

Buttoned it up. Hooked up the VAGCOM and cleared the faults. Road tested in varying conditions and good to go!

One thing to note... I called around to several dealers and found two that did not have the part in stock. They said that the VW parts system says the part is on factory hold. No explanation or target ship dates. You might want to get one sooner than later...

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
I have a 2005.5 BRM Engine, and got the P2112 "Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Closed" also. I gave it two days and it happened more than once so I purchased the following part from a local (Pittsburgh area) dealer:

03G-128-063-Q Flap $300.00

It was the only one I could find between 3 dealerships and it was a special order that they ended up selling me since they could supposedly get another one in 2 days.

One caveat, some of the posts indicate that you need a 5mm allen wrench to remove the bolts. This was not true in my case. I needed an 8mm triple square driver instead, so I also had to buy:

Sunex 9719 Triple Square 8 Pc Bit Socket Set which contains the 8mm triple square driver needed to remove the 3 bolts which hold the regulating flap assembly onto the EGR valve. It also has the 14mm driver needed to remove rear brake calipers, so not a bad deal for $35.00

There was a oily greasy build-up inside my old flap and EGR, and I did some brief cleaning, but didn't feel like removing more parts at this point, so I went ahead and installed the new flap. The entire process only took about 20 minutes and so far, no more MILs.

LuvDaDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI - 355,000miles - rip
i'm interested in the 2112 code as my 06 Jetta has the same issue. It was on, off, on, off, currently on for the last couple of months. Sorta been hoping it would work itself out. What I remember from my investigation was that the "throttle actuator valve"??? was not closing. I would be interested in what you have learned.

JasonDelta

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI in Campanella White (Pkg 2, DSG, Diesel Power Digi PD Tuning Box) - Running B100
I've just run into this same problem with my 06 Jetta TDI and looks like I'll need to replace the regulating flap like everyone has suggested. I'm just wondering though, there are two part numbers floating around this thread - originally oilhammer said it is 03G-128-063-G, while PAJettaTDI said he replaced it with 03G-128-063-Q. I'm just wondering which is the correct part number? PAJettaTDI has a 2005.5, mine is an early 2006. Does this make a difference with the part or is the last letter just indicate the part revision?

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
VAG changes/updates parts and part numbers all the time. Best bet is to have your local dealership parts department look up the part in question by your VIN.

JD1

TDI
Jetta
Just had mine done by a dealership (light came on during vacation trip).
Code P2015 "Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit" Range/Performance Intermittent

On the parts box:
03G 128 063Q
Reg. Klappe

Part $361.50
Labor $275.00
Service manager kindly deducted 20% from total

EXPENSIVE
If your at home and this happens, really try to fix this yourself.

Oh, forgot to mention, I got a free car wash.

jenettles

TDI
2006 jetta TDI
P2112 FIX for the uber cheap

This Crapped out at 63000 miles...still going at 108000....and now 135000.

I took this thing apart on my 06 jetta tdi. Stupid plastic gears! I can't believe there is not a recall. About 10% of the black gear was stripped out -(it's a 1/3 of a circle so 20 % of the gear was fine. As I inspected it, it was obvious that the gear could be turned around and the stripped part would never be used...(if I could get it off). NOTE -It's definately a NON-Serviceable part...but I did.

To do this,

Take it off, Clean the intake completely (cleaner the better as you'll be driving this by needle bearings, take off intake flapper (2 torx) remove it, take the black cover off, remove the white gear, drive the assembly with the black gear out by taking a punch and driving out from the other side. drill out the plastic in about (I think) five spots (2 are easy as there is an impression in the plastic. One (I think- its been awhile) is in the center, and the other two are about 1/4 inch from the outer holes. Drill through both sides of the plastic...That's all the way through - note: if you're drilling metal you're in the wrong place! remove gear, flip it around. Use a bonding glue, reassemble it - AND BE SURE TO HAVE THE GEAR PROPERLY SEATED ON THE METAL as there is no tolerance for it. Put it back together, presto. Put 400$ back in your pocket. Mine is still going. :)

Last edited:

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
Nothing to add except mine failed about a month after driving the car off the lot. Bad design using a plastic gear that close to the egr and exhaust manifold.

McDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta, Spice Red
Due to the price of the part and the fact that it didn't seem to have any adverse effect on performance or mileage I left it go. Recently the car has started to perform poorly at 2500 rpm on up. The code is still P2112. Rechecking the price for the Flap at vwparts.com I see that they list the 03G128063J but the price is up to $345.60 as of today. Several posters reference IIRC but I don't know who that is. Please enlighten me as I feel this repair should be handled ASAP on our TDi and I want to get a good price on the replacement part.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Due to the price of the part and the fact that it didn't seem to have any adverse effect on performance or mileage I left it go. Recently the car has started to perform poorly at 2500 rpm on up. The code is still P2112. Rechecking the price for the Flap at vwparts.com I see that they list the 03G128063J but the price is up to $345.60 as of today. Several posters reference IIRC but I don't know who that is. Please enlighten me as I feel this repair should be handled ASAP on our TDi and I want to get a good price on the replacement part.
RE: IIRC

http://tinyurl.com/b8t9vk

Bill

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Thanks Bill but I had done that- somehow misread and thought IIRC was a vendor not an acronym.

You may or may not have noted that I at least attempted to come up with helpful info like part numbers an pricing to save other users trouble.

Cheers

We are good! I would have used clickable links, but you did fine!

Bill

McDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta, Spice Red
Local dealership at $405 each plus it'll be a 2 day wait since they don't keep them in stock.

1stVWParts at $345.60

No way to do clickable link directly to the part itself 03G128063

McDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta, Spice Red
Local dealership at $405 each plus it'll be a 2 day wait since they don't keep them in stock.

1stVWParts at $345.60

No way to do clickable link directly to the part itself 03G128063

Apparently the final letter in the P/N makes a big difference. I had read of a 03G-128-063-D or 03G-128-063-G or 03G-128-063-J or 03G-128-063-Q

From what I have found, the Q is what I need for my 2006 TDi, yours may need a different part as I am old that the -J part is for a BHW diesel as used in a Passat. Sorry for the confusion

McDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta, Spice Red
The 03G-128-063-Q is available at 1stVWParts at $216.00 plus shipping. Ordered mine today

EASILY THE BEST DEAL I SAW ANYWHERE.

They have fast, professional, service every time I have ordered from them in the past and obviously great prices.

dturcott

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
code p2112

I have recently had the same issue with this code p2112 throttle acuator control system stuck closed ? Can you tell what ends up being the fix to resolve the issue or if the is a componet I can test ? 2006 jetta brm 159,000 miles
thanks

oilhammer

TDI
We've learned a new throttle body fixes the problem. :)
It seems the question has been asked (and answered) several times in this thread alone. It is not a very big thread, please go back and read through it all before posting. :)

McDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta, Spice Red
Got my new flap today. With the bad flap off I can see inside the assembly and it is gunked/carboned up big-time. I'd like to clean this out and I think I even saw a thread on here somewhere but searching thru the other threads for quite a while tonight I haven't located it. I think it'd be foolish to spray carb cleaner into the assembly and have chunks go down into the engine (exhaust manifold?). At the same time I was thinking a quick 20 minute swap and I'd be done. I am not sure I can bring myself to just slap it back together seeing that 90,000 miles worth of buildup in there.

Here's a picture

McDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta, Spice Red
Mine threw the 2112 again this weekend. Looks like I'll be ordering the part as well. I read somewhere on here that it needs to be calibrated after installation?

Thanks!

db
I put the new "flap" in on 8-31-10 and I was under the impression that the ECU would calibrate the system itself just by driving it? The power is a little better with the new flap but in a word performance is "flat". We took our TDi in for a timing belt job today. The owner of the shop called and said that there were "adaptation codes" that were needed to do a sort of calibration when a new part like this is installed. He has a Vag-Com tool obviously but said that some of the guys he talked to about this said you had to take it back to the stealership to get this "adaptation" done. Anyone have access to these codes or have any knowledge of this? Our mechanic was looking to source the codes so he would have them for our job and then retain them for future use as well. Thanks