Changing timing belt at 80,000 miles?

woodpens

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I have a 2009 Jetta TDI sportwagon. When I had my 70,000 dealer service this week the dealer said that my 80,000 mile service will include replacing the timing belt - at a cost of $1300 for parts and $700 labor, plus the other 80,000 mile service items. When I checked the manual it says change it at 110,000.

The dealer says it's sooner because it's Texas.

Any reason to bump this up 30,000 miles from what the manual says?
Thanks

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I have a 2009 Jetta TDI sportwagon. When I had my 70,000 dealer service this week the dealer said that my 80,000 mile service will include replacing the timing belt - at a cost of $1300 for parts and $700 labor, plus the other 80,000 mile service items. When I checked the manual it says change it at 110,000.
Thanks

Dealers in other states recommend early replacement because THEY ARE NOT IN TEXAS.......:D

Just kidding, but I would follow the published maintenance schedule if it was my car.

Find a GURU to do the job instead of the dealer and you can probably save well over half of what you were quoted.

$309 for parts..... at this link:
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_164&products_id=2222

Good vendor, BTW.

Bill

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
You have to admit, the dealers do get creative with service recommendations.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Maybe their reasoning being texas is hot and could theoretically affect belt life. Just a thought...IF they can show you proof that others have had TB failure earlier... There is some truth to this BTW. In your case I would do 100k TB change.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The 2.0 PD in the 2004-05 Passat was published as needing to be replaced at 100,000 miles.
That has since been revised down to 80,000 miles, but there is no re-print, nor even a supplement to insert in the maintenance manual, to inform 04~05 Passat TDI owners of the reduced distance between replacements.
Is the '09 Jetta getting the same secrecy?
Ja! Ve sell ze auto mit ein implied low maintenanze schedule, und after ze car sold are, ve don't tell ze owners zat der manual wrong ist! Ha-ha!

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Wow!!! $2000 for a service that isn't required until 120k!!! That's about what I paid to have my timing belt and a DMF replacement on my BRM.

Maybe it has something to do with the saying "Don't mess with Texas!" Like somehow they are tougher on your vehicle than any other state.

woodpens

TDI
When it's really time, I'll check around, hopefully I can get a better price. I may do it at 100,000 miles

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Not to insult anyone that already posted, but have any gurus replaced/checked timing belts on the 09-10? Care to comment on the condition of the TB and the potential need to modify the change interval?

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I just changed my second belt on on 06 BRM at 235,000 miles, it had 115,000 on this belt. It looks like the day I put it on, no visible deterioration. BTW my manual says to replace at 100,000 miles, but I pushed them a bit beyond. I paid $265.00 for the parts from Carquest (included idler, tensioner, mount studs for above, water pump and new stretch bolts for the motor mount). I did it myself, takes about 6 hours. I already had the timing tools - $100 and manual - $100.

Marc_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Thanks

Chutzpah - I wonder if these "Service Advisers" get some kind of commission for suggesting maintenance - and in this case unnecessary and a bit early.

Last edited:

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
Haha........freaking dealership idiots. Follow the maintenance schedule and you'll be fine.

Plenty of places in the metroplex that can do the work correctly at a decent price. PM me if you want a list.

-Chris

john_tsouris@hotmail.com

Veteran Member
TDI
None now, thank god
I did my 2006 BRM Timing belt @ 140k and it looked brand new coming off.

Stretching of the belt as it gets older will mess up the cam timing, but a belt likely won't actually break for possibly 200k+. Of course, don't test that theory unless you like buying engines.

By the way, if doing the job yourself use plenty of loctite and go a tiny bit higher on your torque specs. I used no loctite on my stretch bolts and the damn things backed out after a few thousand miles.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
The 2.0 PD in the 2004-05 Passat was published as needing to be replaced at 100,000 miles.
That has since been revised down to 80,000 miles, but there is no re-print, nor even a supplement to insert in the maintenance manual, to inform 04~05 Passat TDI owners of the reduced distance between replacements.
Is the '09 Jetta getting the same secrecy?
Ja! Ve sell ze auto mit ein implied low maintenanze schedule, und after ze car sold are, ve don't tell ze owners zat der manual wrong ist! Ha-ha!
HA! Funny I should bump into your post on this subject. I just asked the question. I asked for the most recent recommended Timing Belt Interval for my CBEA and was told it is 120k miles. I am looking forward to seeing how it evolves; one of my VAG products started at 120k and ended with a 60k recommended change…...

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I did my 2006 BRM Timing belt @ 140k and it looked brand new coming off.

Stretching of the belt as it gets older will mess up the cam timing, but a belt likely won't actually break for possibly 200k+. Of course, don't test that theory unless you like buying engines.

By the way, if doing the job yourself use plenty of loctite and go a tiny bit higher on your torque specs. I used no loctite on my stretch b
olts and the damn things backed out after a few thousand miles.

No loctite. No overtorque. Not needed IF the torques were right.

BTW, remember that the BEW and BRM TB intervals have been officially to 80K miles. It's not the belt, they always look new. It's the bearing in rollers and water pump.

jasonstingl

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi,

I just had my belt replaced last week. The final bill for just the timing belt was $1440. Here was my experience:

1. I called around and every dealer gave a rough estimate based off the cost of a timing belt replacement on the 1.9TDI. I doubt many dealers have changed any timing belts on the 2.0TDI. I heard anywhere from $1000 - $1200. The $1000 quote was given so fast I knew nothing was looked up in a computer.
2. There was a $55 environmental fee
3. Parts were about half the cost and labor was half.
4. All the pulleys the belt travels on were replaced
5. The water pump was replaced
6. They said they had the parts in stock (I called the Friday before I was supposed to bring it in Monday). They take different parts than the 1.9TDI
7. They still got it done in the 2 days they quoted me by taking the car all apart on day one and overnighting parts
8. I had a "free" rental car during this maintenance

The dealer I go to has 2 service managers. One is kind of sales-y and the other seems like he is a real straight shooter. He mentioned timing belts are notorious for breaking before 100,000 miles and personally has taken a few phone calls this year about people who's cars won't start and their belt is broken. I previously owned Japanese cars which are all 100,000 miles on belts. It is kind of strange I waited, but the dealer did tell me in the official service interval book, the belt is listed as 100,000 miles. That is why I waited. I kind of thought I was just being sold (originally talked to sales-y guy).

I hope this helps someone.

Jason

schoolcb

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've had good luck with one dealer in the area, prices have been reasonable, but I really don't want to spend upwards of $1500 for a timing belt if I can get the work done somewhere else.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Have any trusted Gurus changed a timing belt on a 09-10 CR TDI? Is the 120k interval still recommended?
Cost?

Robintexas

TDI
2006 Jetta
Bought a 06 with no records 83K miles. Had our local Guru in Ft. Worth do the TB, flush brake fluid, change fuel filter, and DSG fluid change. About $1300-1400 if I remember correctly, not to mention I was allowed to help and learn. The old TB showed no signs of derogation so I am certain it could have easily made it to 100K-110K. We also discovered that the DSG fluid had not been changed since new.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
When it's really time, I'll check around, hopefully I can get a better price. I may do it at 100,000 miles
Wait for either your high pressure fuel pump to explode, or 120k miles, which ever comes first. If the HPFP explodes, have them do the belt then, since they will be in there anyways.

darkknightTDI

TDI
I'm at 106K on my '09 CR TDI. Can anyone assist me in finding instructions or a DIY on how to change the timing belt? I've searched this forum and the other larger forums, but I can't find anything for the CR TDI.