Performed 20k service, some questions.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Well I performed the 20,000 mile service on my Golf today. I was intimidated at first but I will say it was a breeze.

While doing the undercar inspection (exhaust, leaks, CV boots, etc.) I noticed a very very small amount of oil or maybe manual transmission fluid coming out from where the transmission mates up to the engine. I wiped it clean and am going to check it again at 30,000 miles, but I was wondering if I should bring it to the attention of Volkswagen even so the leakage is minimal (I will say a few drops of oil at most).

Other then that I will say I was happy with everything else.

While rotating the tires I removed the front wheel well liners to clean them and clean behind them, I strongly recommend other owners do this (especially up north) to fight corrosion, there were leaves and alot of wet sand packed in the bottom rear of both wheel wells.

Changing the fuel filter and pollen filter was a breeze. I thought both were going to be a PITA but suprisingly I was able to do both in under 30 minutes. The fuel filter had maybe 1-2 drops of water in it at most and the pollen filter was not very dirty (I replaced it anyways). I replaced both with OEM Volkswagen parts.

I spent about $106 on parts including oil and about 3-4 hours of my time (washed car also). The local Volkswagen dealerships wanted between $240-270 (+ an additional $30 if I wanted synthetic oil /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) and needed a full day to complete the 20k service.

I will say I am happy that the 20k service went so easily as now I know that maintaining this vehicle is going to be quite easy for the next 80k miles until TB time. Now the Passat is another story, we are going to pay Volkswagen to do the 20k as that thing is a royal PITA to work on and it is leased.

outatime

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver
I was leaking oil to. I drive a manual so I do not have ATF, instead it is called Gear Oil. At 30,000, I was leaking and I took it in. Seal blew. NOTE: The dealership then charged me for a fluid fill up. However it states in the manual that it is free since a warranty part failed.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
I had oil in this spot also. Mine and another TDIer's problem was a leaking power steering fluid.