Did I just break the hood release, or simply dislodge it?

jmblodgett

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
So I feel kinda silly for asking -- it's only a hood release -- but I also don't want to make matters worse if I can help it.

I unknowingly made the mistake of pulling the hood release from an angle that "broke" it. I put that in quotes because I can't tell by looking at it if a plastic part actually broke, or if some internal mechanism simply was dislodged. All I know is that the cable is still connected to the handle.

I searched the forum "broken hood release" for troubleshooting information, and was able to ascertain that I have to remove the foot rest before removing the trim panel to get at the insides. But before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone had any other pointers, could point me to a diagram of what's inside, explain how to remove the handle...

jmblodgett

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
Thanks much! Looks like searching Google is more productive than searching from within the forum's search function, though you did come up with search terms I didn't. I'll start reading.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Open any Google search page, and paste this into the search box:

site:forums.tdiclub.com:

Leave a space after the : and enter the search term. Google will search the entire TDI Club, and only the TDI Club

Example: site:forums.tdiclub.com: broken hood pull

OR you can open a TDI Club Advanced Search, and use the Google Search at the bottom of the page.

jmblodgett

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
Open any Google search page, and paste this into the search box:

site:forums.tdiclub.com:

Leave a space after the : and enter the search term. Google will search the entire TDI Club, and only the TDI Club

Example: site:forums.tdiclub.com: broken hood pull

OR you can open a TDI Club Advanced Search, and use the Google Search at the bottom of the page.

Thank you, that's great to know.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Luckily the usual place it breaks is under the dash, where the end of the cable is held by the plastic base of pull handle. If you unscrew the handle (two torx screws) you can pull the thing apart and then pull on the ball end of the cable with a pair or pliers.

If it's broken under the hood that's a whole different amount of pain. :(:)

jmblodgett

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
Luckily the usual place it breaks is under the dash, where the end of the cable is held by the plastic base of pull handle. If you unscrew the handle (two torx screws) you can pull the thing apart and then pull on the ball end of the cable with a pair or pliers.

If it's broken under the hood that's a whole different amount of pain. :(:)
Lucky for us, the handle did not detach from the cable and I can still operate it as-is.