Checking automatic transmission fluid

mwood

TDI
Passat, 2005, Silver Blue
I have a 2005 Passat TDI. I am trying to find where you check the automatic trans. fluid. No dipstick or anything else that I can find. Can somebody tell me where it is at?

Also, I cannot locate the fuel filter. Can someone tell me where that is as well.

Tks - mwood

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
there's no dipstick...it's got to be checked with VAGCOM (??) or by the dealer (computer interface).

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
The procedure for checking the transmission fluid level in these cars is a bit of a pain. Adding fluid requires a special fill container also. You need to have Vagcom monitoring the tranny fluid temp. You remove a level plug from the side of the transmission. Basically, you allow the fluid to heat up between 35 to 45 degrees centigrade. If it starts to drip out between those 2 temps, the level is correct. If you need to add, they have a small container with a short wand with a fill valve (looks like a 6" piece of 1/4" copper tubing with a 1" 90 degree bend at the end to allow you to get it into the level check hole. I would be curious to know what VW's logic was in not having a dipstick for this like most other cars (maybe they feel most people don't check the level at the right temperature?).

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
i believe in our cars that the tranny fluid is supposed to be in a sealed system. according to the wizards at vw, you never need to check or empty the system. yeah, right. i guess it's that new, magical tranny fluid that lasts forever without any sort of breakdown or corrosion.