View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2019, 21:48   #4
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8L TDI View Post
Hi all,
I have been looking at the A8L TDI for a while and am interested in considering a '14-'16 as my next vehicle.
I assume that virtually all 3.0 TDIs available for sale have been "fixed" at this point. My main concern is that fuel mileage on these vehicles now is reduced, especially in city driving. I also read on here about reduced responsiveness/ diesel noise at start-up and idle.
In addition, I am concerned about potentially odd/ uncomfortable shift patterns.
I would assume that some of the performance issues can be remedied with a ECU tune (i.e. Malone), but the sub-optimal shift patterns, noise, and reduced fuel economy do not appear to be "reversible".
I am mostly interested in the A8L for their fuel economy and comfortable driving experience. Would you say these are still worth looking into even after the fix (not too many out there - none locally)?
Pretty rare car, but also really fantastic. I kid you not, the A8L absolutely outclasses 7 Series BMWs and S Class Mercedes' for interior quality and comfort. They really are on a whole other level.

But, if I did more city driving than anything, I likely wouldn't buy a diesel at all. I see so many more expensive parts failing on diesel cars that primarily drive in the city, it's kind of crazy. Frequent long highway trips? They just kind of keep going and make it very easy to eat up the miles with effortless passing, very little need to downshift, very low engine noise and awesome comfort.

But if I did more city driving than anything and had A8L money? I'd probably just get a Tesla instead... plus that'd get me carpool lane access as a single occupant.

Page generated in 0.06738 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.91 Kb. compressed to 15.29 Kb. by saving 1.61 Kb. (9.54%)]