2.0 Gen 1 post fix impressions, issues, etc.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Mine has 206,000 miles on it. Even though I like the car and it performs like new with no issues at all, I most likely do buyback and replace it with a 2015 Jetta TDI. It's odd, I have not even replaced the brake pads on it yet, but high mileage is a little concerning at this point. I wonder what other high mileage TDI owners are doing... the fix or the buyback?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm at 125k miles and getting the fix done today. Another 4.5 years of warranty and $5200 are the deciding factors.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm at 125k miles and getting the fix done today. Another 4.5 years of warranty and $5200 are the deciding factors.

Those are certainly two good reasons to get the fix! I'm with you! I have 155K miles at the moment and I've had the fix for a little while now.

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
Having had the fix on my 2011 TDI Manual Transmission Sep. 2017 / 5000 miles ago, I came to observe that the mpg is the same ONLY on the MFD once I fill up it is way off when entered into the Fillup App on my phone. MFD says I got 42mpg but the App calculates 39mpg. The MFD used to be spot on prior to the Modification. I think this is due to more Regens now.
Also total mile range has shortened from 650+ to 590 miles. :-(

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Dieselkraut;5388351[B said:
]Having had the fix on my 2011 TDI Manual Transmission....................
............... total mile range has shortened from 650+ to 590 miles.[/B] :-(

....looks like circa 10 per cent drop in range.

Not good.

ez

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Those are certainly two good reasons to get the fix! I'm with you! I have 155K miles at the moment and I've had the fix for a little while now.
Just back from the dealer and is my wife ever p******. Had them do the 120k service while in there and that ended up being just over $1100. Looks like the oil change has doubled since last July. The biggest issue is that the wiring harness coming out of the mechatronics unit is leaking dsg fluid. They want about $2000 grand for that repair. So much for the VW payout.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Sorry to hear that; that clearly sucks.

On my 2012 JSW, regenerations seem to be spaced further apart now. The soot level (read from the B2C5 location in the 06B2 OBD reply) used to increase about 0.1 gram/mile, and trigger a regeneration at about 170 miles before the fix, whereas now it reaches 23 gram after about 320 miles before it triggers. The exhaust temperatures near the cat and DPF now reach >500C occasionally between regenerations for up to 30 seconds or so, which had not happened before. This leads me to think that soot might build up slower, maybe due to the additional NOx trap regenerations. With only about 900 miles after the fix, I can't tell yet what happened to diesel milage for my car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That’s a lot of regens. You must do a lot of city driving. Typically, mine would regen about once a tank (600 miles) unless I was doing more highway miles. Then the regens were passive and I had no idea when they happened.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
I always thought the burnoffs were more frequent than they ought to be, but the pattern was very consistent over the 80k miles. My driving is about 15% city, 15% suburbs, and 70% interstate.

Loafing

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Mexican Jet
Oil leak & loose splash plate after emissions fix

I noticed an oil leak sometime after having the emissions fix done on my 09 Jetta. Noticed a light oil slick floating on top of water runoff on the drive. Put a large baking pan under to collect & protect the drive. Seems to be about a quarter teaspoon per month or less.

Any chance this is associated with having the fix?

Also noticed the main splash plate is not secured (screws/bolts at rear absent) to the engine & is hanging down about 3inches at the back. Is it possible that the splash plate would conceal a minor leak by collecting & holding the oil? In this case, maybe the leak developed b4 the fix and the unsecured splash plate hangs down spilling leaked oil? But why would mechanic not have noticed leak & flagged for repair at normal service interval?

I am at about 220Kkm & looking forward to getting 300Kkm. No changes observed since fix....

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, the splash shield will collect the drips/leak unless it is a lot. At least that's the explanation I got about not noticing the DSG pan was leaking.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
2nd update: 411 miles before reaching 23.47 grams of soot and regenerating. I'm now at 1000 miles after the fix. So regeneration intervals seem to have approximately doubled. Mileage per gallon seems to be about what it was before; need more statistics.

DHud13

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition 6MT
I had the Emissions Modification and Snow Flap Recall completed on April 3rd, 2018.

2010 TDI Cup 6MT with 142,250 miles.

She was already in regen mode when I picked her up from the dealer. First impression was that power was down, especially during regen. I drove around until the regen completed. I did not notice any increase in engine noise (as some people have noted), but I can tell that they changed the fuel mapping and turbo boost timing. Drives as smooth as always, but I do have to give it a little more RPM's to get the old power level (easy to do with the manual trans). I will probably get a Stage 1 tune once the extended warranty is up. VW money cleared the bank by Friday. I am still waiting on the Bosch payment. Unfortunately most of the money will be going to some needed repairs I had been holding off on (timing belt/water pump and AC compressor). I have only driven 250 miles since the repair, but I will update again once I have a few tanks under the belt.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My wife commented that the power was lower and the car takes longer to shift from 3rd to 4th. It's a lot noisier too. I'd put it at about the same level as my 2000 TDI beetle was. It seems to always be in regen when she gets home after her ~30 min drive from school. I sat about 20 min in a drive through the other day and let the regen run until it finished. No idea on mileage. We've filled it once since getting it back and those miles were split. It's now at the shop getting the mechatronics unit replaced so we'll see how she runs after that.

Mint137

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Long time lurker, first time poster. Recently got the emissions fix on my 2009 TDI Jetta and thought I'd post about my experience.

The Fix at the Dealer:
Took it into the dealer on 4/16 at around 10am, was told it would be at least a day, so got a loaner though Enterprise which was comp. Signed the service quote before they took the car. Got a call the next day that it'd be one more day, so the fix was finished on 4/18. Went in morning of 4/19 for pickup, signed that the emissions fix was done and was on my way. No issues here.

Settlement Transaction:
Got an email later that day confirming that I got the fix from the settlement system. Chase payment would wire the money as soon as I provided the information, which then took about 1-2 business days to show up in my account. Haven't gotten anything regarding the Bosch settlement yet.

Driving Experience:
- DSG holds gears in D for about 100-300rpm higher before shifting, especially in 3rd gear.
- The turbo seems to be less pronounced, doesn't seem to lurch as much if at all
- Passing ability at highway speeds doesn't seem to be as good.
- Downshifting to engine brake seems to be less effective, either via paddles or M mode
- I have no real comment about S mode, mainly because I never really used it before the emissions fix so I don't really know what it was to compare.

Overall, it just feels like a more "normal" car.

Other things:
- MFD+ doesn't show the gear number in the bottom right in D or S anymore. It used to before the fix.
- FISCON e-MFA doesn't read the Oil temperature anymore, shows up as -76 which makes no sense.
- MPG seems to be about 1-2 less than before, only going off the MFD+. I never really tracked it as accurately as other have.

Just thought I'd share. As to why I did the fix, mainly because I don't want to deal with buying a "new" car where I currently am.

loop7

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I'm one of the people who sold my 2013 wagon back to VW and then bought another 2013 wagon (with lower miles) which has had all the modifications.

So far, I'm not seeing much of a difference in MPG but there's some torque loss as expected.

The issues that bothers me is the behavior/performance from a dead stop and the louder engine noise (diesel sound).

I assume the after-market tune could help with the engine noise?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I'm one of the people who sold my 2013 wagon back to VW and then bought another 2013 wagon (with lower miles) which has had all the modifications.

So far, I'm not seeing much of a difference in MPG but there's some torque loss as expected.

The issues that bother me is the behavior/performance from a dead stop and the louder engine noise (diesel sound).

I assume the after-market tune could help with the engine noise?
My thoughts and just my thoughts...........many here want to find something wrong with the car after the fix.
My question to them is .........if the so-called fix had been the way the car was originally sold would you not have bought the car? Would you have bought a Honda or Toyota or BMW etc. instead?
Even without the "fix", a tune would have made a difference in the performance all be it illegal just as VW's defeat device program. I think everybody just wants something to whine about.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it had shifted this way from day 1, I wouldn't have bought it. I liked the torque and feel of the diesel, especially in the lower gears. The JSW now holds second and third longer but without any power. Kind of like taking up over 4k and having the engine flatten out. Highway cruising and passing don't feel that different.

The way it runs now is not that different from my daughter's 05 corolla. That's part of the reason why it's her car now.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The way it runs now is not that different from my daughter's 05 corolla. That's part of the reason why it's her car now.
That being said when you were shopping for a car when you bought your TDI would you have bought a different car at that time? Say an 05 Corolla like your daughters? What car at the time you bought your TDI would you have bought instead?

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I bought the JSW, it was the only thing I looked at. I had a 2000 TDI beetle with a 5 speed and liked how it drove and mileage. Even with 90 hp, it still felt powerful enough for probably 95% of my needs. It had electrical issues that I didn't have the time or money to chase. I started thinking about replacing it when the CR diesels came out but knew I didn't want a first year. I also didn't like the nose on the 09s. I pulled into one of the dealers in Charlotte and asked them where the diesels were. They were in limited supply in March 2010. The salesperson took me over to two wagens. One fully loaded and the other with only the dsg. He handed me the keys and said come back when your through with the drive. 125 miles and about 6 hours later, I returned to sign the papers.

If I didn't buy the JSW on that day, I have no idea what I would have even considered. Between my companies sales fleets of Fords and Toyotas, and the various rental cars, there really wasn't anything out there unique enough to consider. maybe I would have started looking at other European cars like Volvo, but may have also increased the sticker.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
If I didn't buy the JSW on that day, I have no idea what I would have even considered. Between my companies sales fleets of Fords and Toyotas, and the various rental cars, there really wasn't anything out there unique enough to consider. maybe I would have started looking at other European cars like Volvo, but may have also increased the sticker.
Well, I guess that sez it all for the price that now in your mind neutered JSW ain't so bad eh? ;)

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is still a nice comfortable car with the German refinements that are hard to give up, but when the wife starts commenting about the lack of fun to drive, I have to wonder how soon it will be a memory.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How much money is your wife's driving fun worth? :eek:
At this point, zero! We bought the new truck in Feb and have the deck and patio being put in by the end of May. No money for her new ride!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Supposedly 'D' mode got a bit sportier. But if it's too lifeless for you, try 'S' mode.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've told her that but don't think she's tried it.

slk23

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (sold back to VW)
Does the emissions modification have more negative effects on DSG cars than manual transmission? It seems that a lot of the comments here focus on changes to the DSG shifting behavior. I drive a manual and hope the modification doesn't take any of the fun out of the car.

The other effects (additional regen cycles, more engine noise, MPG changes) haven't struck me as deal breakers.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't have a manual so these is speculation. You should be able to overpower any decrease in performance just by determining when and where you want car to shift versus the computer. You may have to adjust your driving habits slightly but should notice less impact.