MN Chat Thread

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
I'll probably be wrenching in the garage all weekend if you want to run it by. We can put our collective minds together on it.

David
Ill be working in my workshop a;; day on other cars.. but lets just say this thing wont be driving anywhere.. stalls about 3 secs after starting... and honestly Im worried about damage starting it anymore

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I had good luck with Schmelz. The rusty area had to be "soft to the touch" before they would move ahead with the warranty fix.

I also had a friend succeed at West Side.
How about a fender that is missing all the metal underneath where the mudflap used to cover up?

A reminder to everyone here, take loose the rear side of your inner fenders and hose out the junk that builds up in there, mine had about twenty bazillion cubic yards of dirt, leaves and salt packed in there up against the fender and firewall.

It gets in through the cowl and holds water against the sheet metal

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
And I had good luck with Burnsville VW replacing mine. Didn't even need to be soft to the touch but then this was also four or so years ago.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Im fixing some other cars this weekend and installing a used motor into the car that I bought the vw to replace as my commuter....... but Im new to diesels and vws and dont get into internal stuff if I can avoid it..
Th e other issue is.. right now it wont drive.. or Im scared to drive it.. it stalled 10 times.moving it 30ft into the workshop last night.. changed nothing mechanical only cleaned egr and intake.. real noisey.. not sure if maybe i now also have a vacuum leak thats causing the rough running/stalling
How nasty were the ports when you had the intake off? Maybe you had some of the crud get down between a valve and seat holding the valve open? If it were just stumbling (no noise) I would suspect too much egr flow rate choking off the engine due to either a stuck open egr valve or stopped turbine..OR you got your vacuum lines hooked up wrong and your egr valve is stuck at 100% open all the time. When you have the valve cover off next, see if all the followers are riding on the cam lobes. If you have one sitting low you may have a dead lifter or a dropped valve.

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
the ports themselves werent to bad...

gotta think this thing through some more... got some other jobs to knock out.. then I will pull this one back in and look over it again

haakonpe

TDI
1999 Golf
Well.... Merker at Midwest Motorworks did a very good job on my Golf!

This weekend I went down to Madison WI and back. I haven't had a chance to check the MPG on the return trip, but I got 53 on the way down.

Now if I can just figure out the antilock brake pulse for no reason...

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
How nasty were the ports when you had the intake off? Maybe you had some of the crud get down between a valve and seat holding the valve open? If it were just stumbling (no noise) I would suspect too much egr flow rate choking off the engine due to either a stuck open egr valve or stopped turbine..OR you got your vacuum lines hooked up wrong and your egr valve is stuck at 100% open all the time. When you have the valve cover off next, see if all the followers are riding on the cam lobes. If you have one sitting low you may have a dead lifter or a dropped valve.
I tried to hold the egr valve open/closed manually while trying to start it.. no change..

wont even idle now.. whole car shakes violently...

as far as vacuum lines, there isnt too many there and the only ones I took off was to the actuator on the flapper thing (which I assume goes to the egr stuff) still figuring out names...

I am wondering if the IP is on the way out as I have never heard the lift pump run in the tank... note that I have had this car for 2 weeks and have been reading up a lot of threads trying to find similar stories etc to point me in directions to look...

Now its a matter of just towing it somewhere and having a person who KNOWS these cars do their thing..

I owned a shop but was never a trained tech.. self taught on most things but have never dived into internal stuff.. never thought it was a good idea to experiment on a customers car haha just to learn.. and never had the need till now on any of my cars to tear into things majorly...

suspension, brakes, custom exhaust, tune ups, swapping parts, welding and machining are my skill set... not engine building or electrical so I am stumped..

I pushed it out of my workshop, pushed in the honda and have started the engine swap with that so I can have at least one of the commuters running instead of driving the plow truck everyday from jordan to the UofM (40m trip each way)

if anyone in my neck of the woods wants to drop by I have a workshop and some beer.. just need opinions.. then I can make decisions...

I have the tools for the most part to do a lot of things.. just not enough knowledge....

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That is the anti-shudder valve you were probably holding shut - restricting all the airflow - definitely won't start!

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
Tow it to me please I have a car dolly you can rent too if that helps.

I bought my short block cause a good carma screw up.

I live in Jordan.. 45mins south of the cities near Mankato... otherwise you were on the top of my list...

I cant get it to you while you are open... but I will see what options I have for a buddy to run it out there... I am gone next wed to the following monday but at this moment if I can get it to you I just need to know what is wrong.. if it is an easy fix that I could do, and if not whats it gonna take to fix it so then we can go from there.. most likely at this stage I just want it done and done right ;)

not happy that I just spent 8500 buying this thing and 2 weeks later this happens.. as I am currently swapping a motor into my old commuter which this one was purchased to replace... haha so now I am $10K and back to less than square one... hahahah cant do anything but laugh right now

Last edited:

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
+1 on Burnsville VW fixing rust damage. They fixed my '03 Wagon last winter. Pictures, authorization, done. Didn't even have to wave the TSB in their faces. :)

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
I live in Jordan.. 45mins south of the cities near Mankato... otherwise you were on the top of my list...

I cant get it to you while you are open... but I will see what options I have for a buddy to run it out there... I am gone next wed to the following monday but at this moment if I can get it to you I just need to know what is wrong.. if it is an easy fix that I could do, and if not whats it gonna take to fix it so then we can go from there.. most likely at this stage I just want it done and done right ;)

not happy that I just spent 8500 buying this thing and 2 weeks later this happens.. as I am currently swapping a motor into my old commuter which this one was purchased to replace... haha so now I am $10K and back to less than square one... hahahah cant do anything but laugh right now
I can meet you sometime at my work or you can always drop it off in front of the gate. As long as it rolls it will be fine. I'll treat you right. Worse feeling is when some other shop screws up a members car.

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
I can meet you sometime at my work or you can always drop it off in front of the gate. As long as it rolls it will be fine. I'll treat you right. Worse feeling is when some other shop screws up a members car.
as a previous shop owner I knwo the feeling even when a tech who claims they are Gods gift screws up.. you eat the cost... haha it sucks..

same as when I work on peoples cars on the side.. if one thing isnt just right when it is done I do what I can to amend it..

I just wish I knew TDis hahaha

My wife may run it out tomorrow or thursday.. will let you know

ILShocker

TDI
none yet
Hey MN TDIers. I am hoping that I could get a hand from someone in the twin cities area.
Ill be making a trip to Roseville (but staying in Lino Lakes) in about a month. I will be able to get there on one tank (517mi) but will need to fuel up before trolling around for a few days and heading home. Is there a good BP station in the area or other station in the general vicinity that you would recommend?
**If there is a better place for this question please let me know and I will remove/move the question to the appropriate location. **

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey MN TDIers. I am hoping that I could get a hand from someone in the twin cities area.
Ill be making a trip to Roseville (but staying in Lino Lakes) in about a month. I will be able to get there on one tank (517mi) but will need to fuel up before trolling around for a few days and heading home. Is there a good BP station in the area or other station in the general vicinity that you would recommend?
**If there is a better place for this question please let me know and I will remove/move the question to the appropriate location. **
I've filled regularly at the green-starred stations. I wouldn't recommend the red-starred locations, as they don't get lots of diesel usage I don't think.

I personally don't use BP, as many in this area shown aren't super amazing. Kwik Trip is great, and I switch between Holiday and Super America pretty frequently.

Or find your way to Mills Fleet Farm, buy something in the store and you get $0.04 coupon for fuel.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
There is a Fleet Farm station just one exit away from Lino Lakes on I-35W, at the Lexington Ave exit. Good quality fuel and competitively low prices.

BP is not a major player in the Twin Cities, maybe #6 or #7 based on number of stations? The big brands here are SuperAmerica and Holiday, with KwikTrip and Marathon somewhat numerous. There are still a few Exxon, Mobil, and Shell stations, but they are gradually disappearing.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Everyone heard of Amble's surplus hardware?

Place is like ax man, but for machine tools, bolts, pipe fittings, sheaves, hydraulics, and all that kind of stuff.
Just got back from getting a few hundred worth of taper shank drill bits for nothing at all (I think he charged me $10/lb)

ILShocker

TDI
none yet
Thanks

Wow.... That is Exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you for sharing... $0.04 off each gallon sounds great and only one stop from my hotel; sure sounds like a winner to me. I may drop another message on here to see if anyone wants to meet up Friday. I have a bit of a break and have not had a chance to meet up with many TDIers.

Schuttsr1

TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Wagon, 2003 Jetta
Is there a way to have your glow plugs turn on manually? Mine are not working at all. I tested them last week when the temps were pretty cool and nothing. I do have a Auto to Manual swapped car. Is there anything I could have missed to have them not turn on?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I could tell you pretty easily which wires to butcher together with an old ford starter solenoid to battery power, but that'd be a hack thing.
It may be the direction my GPs are going to go in, though. Soon as I can find the proper way to disable the codes in the computer's coding...

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Is there a way to have your glow plugs turn on manually? Mine are not working at all. I tested them last week when the temps were pretty cool and nothing. I do have a Auto to Manual swapped car. Is there anything I could have missed to have them not turn on?
When you were testing was the temp below 40F? If not then they won't be doing anything. Definitive test is to disconnect the coolant temp sensor plug and cycle the key. You should have 12V in any one of the GP connectors for ~20sec after cycling the key. Run this test and let us know what you find.

Honestly there is no relationship between the GP operation and transmission swap unless during the swap when they removed the TCU they got overzealous and also pulled the GP relay/module. ;)