ALH 1949 willys cj3a

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
What mounts do you recommend? Ive seen all different kinds used on these engines..
Great looking job - my suggestion is that you find better motor mounts - those rubber ones look rather hard and it will be vibration city for you when done.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Last edited:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! Yes the Mahindra jeeps are cool. I would like to see one in person.
Made a little progress... Worked on the oil system. Finished my oil filter relocation plate. Figured out my turbo oil feed hookup, oil pressure gauge, and VW oil pressure sensor. Everything is close on the plate but it all fits. I need to work on the oil filter and cooler mount. I'm still waiting on my hoses and a few more fittings. Also need to order a fuel filter.

Since I have no need for the willys timing mark cover now.... I turned it into a key chain. Willy on one side. VW on the other.

Wow, awesome project!! A family friend had a CJ3b with the hurricane engine as a tractor/woodlot buggy/snow plow. The thing was unstoppable.

I just read this article about a Willys size diesel Mahindra jeep that will sell over here:

https://jalopnik.com/the-mahindra-roxor-is-a-tiny-offroad-jeep-to-conquer-am-1823460351

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
What mounts do you recommend? I've seen all different kinds used on these engines..
I've always used Volkswagen Fox / Audi 80 mounts as they are cheap and work well!

http://fastforward.ca/motormounts/ is how I have done the mounts for my Vanagon conversions back in the day - much much simpler than making mounts that bolt to the side of the engine. Chop saw, drill press and welder - that's it! :cool:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
What are the rubber mounts in the link from? They look more like trans mounts ive seen before? Part number? Thanks!

I've always used Volkswagen Fox / Audi 80 mounts as they are cheap and work well!
http://fastforward.ca/motormounts/ is how I have done the mounts for my Vanagon conversions back in the day - much much simpler than making mounts that bolt to the side of the engine. Chop saw, drill press and welder - that's it! :cool:

Hasenwerk

TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone have any tips on running a v-belt on an ALH? I thought I saw somewhere a guy bolted one on to his stock crank pulley? Are there any older tdi pulleys with a v-groove that would fit the ALH crank?

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Someone told me that the v-belt pulley from a 1.6 will bolt on to the ALH pulley. Can anyone confirm this?

Hasenwerk

TDI
Someone told me that the v-belt pulley from a 1.6 will bolt on to the ALH pulley. Can anyone confirm this?
Crank pulley - yes, same bolt pattern for the pre and post 2000 blocks.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info Hasen-

Well after about 20 hours of googling and online research I decided on a radiator for my tdi swap. I went with a 1986 Ford bronco II (2.9L) it was the right size and had the in/out on the correct side for my application. I will have to lower my mount about 1” to clear the hood, but my mounts aren’t original anyway so it’s not a big deal. I got this at advanced auto. With the online promo they are running right now it cast me $72 and it was in stock.

Its tight but it fits!

Fitted the rest of the front end temporarily fitted before I paint it. That way I dont have to hack into fresh paint......again! Im trying to figure out how I want route/install my intercooler and piping. I also need to mount my oil cooler/ filter and fuel filter....so much to do!!!! haha!

Skipping the inter cooler is financially temping and im getting tired....but I know that is a big no-no.....

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Looking good, hang in there Seth, good progress

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys! Oil & Fuel system is almost wrapped up. (The fram filter is just for mock up, it was the only one I had on hand) I still need to run my fuel return line and put some straps on the the hoses. Then its on to the coolant system and wiring.

Hasenwerk

TDI
Question - why do you have the engine leaning way over like that as opposed to the stock 15-degree mounting angle? Some say that the turbo drain needs to be straight down +- 15 degrees, which if un-clocked, I think you would not be following that rule.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I had to lean it towards the drivers side in order to be able to mount my starter. My turbo drain is actually leaning in a way that gravity would be more likely to carry the oil away faster. I would think that would be a good thing. There was no way around it I do believe the pictures make it look more extreme than it is.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
There is some interesting info on engine angles is this thread and several others on here.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4859970

My main concern would be that the oil pickup tube is fully submerged in oil. I would imagine the turbo drain would be an issue if you layed it over really far like guys do with vanagon swaps. I may pull the pan when I take the engine back out and look at the sump to make sure it will be ok. Time will tell, but after following some of what other people had done, i believe it will survive.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It doesn't look overly canted to me. Can't wait for some video(hint, hint) of this rig running and rolling. Is the missing headlight going to be your ram-air intake? ;)
A snorkel would be kinda cool though.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! Yes I cant wait to get some video of it! I will for sure post some for you guys! And I like your idea about the headlight. I think I will just mount a giant turbo inside the headlight opening and also cut a hole in the hood for a stack.

Hasenwerk

TDI

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
if 3 degrees tilt blows turbos on these things it is going to be worthless as an off road rig. I guess I better pull the alh and put a real diesel in the Jeep instead of this German boat anchor. Haha!

Last edited:

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
I don't know if you've seen my vids,but some of the trails I wheel are 20º to 30º
side hillin' and up and down.Seems to be fine with no noticeable oil loss.:confused:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Zoom, yes I have seen some of your awesome videos and many other swapped rigs on all sorts of terrain! Seems like they do just fine! I’m sure it would be ideal to run it at the stock 15 degrees, but ideal doesn’t always happen. I’m guessing Vw engineered some wiggle room other wise anyone that had a steep hill to go up or down everyday on their commute would be losing oil and ruining their engines. At this point I little fr into it to go back because my engine leans to far from the factory angle. I will finish it run it and if it gives me trouble I will decide what to do about then. I was joking about the boat anchor thing but I plan on driving this on a lot of off camber trails.....if drive one side hills that list 15 degree toward the passenger side I will be good to go! Haha

Hasenwerk

TDI
There is a difference between going up a hill or driving on uneven ground versus driving all day long with the turbo clocked out of spec.

I wouldn't be mentioning this unless i've "been there done that" ;-)

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Vnt 15 cartrage can be rotated correct? So why not just clock the center and make a custom oil drain if there is an angle issue?

Hasenwerk

TDI
Vnt 15 cartrage can be rotated correct? So why not just clock the center and make a custom oil drain if there is an angle issue?
I don't dig into the insides of the turbos too much, but without machining tools, I think you can clock it but at only six(?) positions as there are set pins inside that the VNT bit moves on. I am sure someone can explain this better than it. I think if you can accurately move the pins, then any degree is possible. I just bring this stuff up because it's probably better to do it nicely now than later. I have dealt with enough Vanagon people moving engines to 50 degrees and they sooner or later have oil problems. Not trying to rain on your excellent build.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Im am to the point in this build where it would be way more work to go back and make a new adapter and motor mounts than it would be to just "see what happens" I will be going with the later. If I have issues I will have to make a new adapter or give up on the whole thing. If it works the way it is then I have to do nothing. At this point it the game its worth the risk. I agree that a 50 degree vanagon swap would cause problems but I confirmed my lean at 8.2 degrees so Im going to give it a shot.

I do believe the pictures make it appear to be leaning more than it actually is.

Here is a view of my oil pan. I tried to level the camera as best as possible.

Here is a head on view of my turbo. Oil inlet is about 12:30 and outlet is about 6:30... Some of my other turbo swaps have had worse drain angles and longer drain lines than this.

I am ready to move on to the next stage of this project. Thanks!