Received Tesla Model 3, gave back TDI to VW

gene r

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI sold back to VW
Well, I received my Tesla Model 3 about 3 weeks ago. It is impossible to even describe how awesome this car is. I already have a Model S for 5 years with 80,000 miles and many long road trips, so I know very well how incredible Tesla's are. But the Model 3 at the same price range as your average sedan these days, is a game changer. It makes everything else, TDI included look and feel like a dinosaur. It's a good thing VW has been forced to make the move to EV's, it really is their only chance to survive. I certainly hope VW starts to actually produce some new EV products rather than endless claims of future EV's with still only the e-Golf to show.

I just sold back my TDI to VW, sure feels good to be rid of that albatross.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
Well, I received my Tesla Model 3 about 3 weeks ago. It is impossible to even describe how awesome this car is. I already have a Model S for 5 years with 80,000 miles and many long road trips, so I know very well how incredible Tesla's are. But the Model 3 at the same price range as your average sedan these days, is a game changer. It makes everything else, TDI included look and feel like a dinosaur. It's a good thing VW has been forced to make the move to EV's, it really is their only chance to survive. I certainly hope VW starts to actually produce some new EV products rather than endless claims of future EV's with still only the e-Golf to show.

That's AWESOME. Congratulations! I'm guessing day 1 reservation holder & CA resident?

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Land of the Lost

It makes everything else, TDI included look and feel like a dinosaur. QUOTE]

Wish you luck with the Tesla.

Me, where I live Dinosaurs are top of the food chain.

Perhaps I will live to see the day when there is a Tesla in my neighborhood.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Seems like this one is appropriate. This is certainly not a VW.

"General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in."

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I wonder why one might make a comment like this on a vw tdi forum. It would be like me going to the Tesla forum and making a similar comment. Yes there is a forum for “these people”.

Personally I like the tdi, I can do all my own maintenance, I don’t need to call the dealer or mobile mechanic. I’m wondering what the maintenance costs are on a Tesla once the warranty runs out. If you can afford a Tesla that really shouldn’t be a problem.

Has a Tesla owner ever preformed his own maintenance or is that not allowed by the company? If so wouldn’t that mean that Tesla still owns the car?

I perused the Tesla forum and most seem well satisfied with their car, however I didn’t see anyone offering help with any issues the cars might have other than “take it to the dealer.”. Even the people with multiple dealer visits still love their Tesla despite actually being able to drive it very little.

They are mostly all busy patting each other on the back telling one another how smart they were to make the switch from the hated world ending ICE vehicles. Extolling the virtues of Musk, a genius in their estimation who will by himself save the world. The worship is almost cult like.

Like those of us here with our diesels they love their all electric, cutting edge technology cars.

I don’t know whether Tesla will survive my thought is it will probably be folded into a major car company like Jeep was, and will continue as part of some manufacturers lineup. Possibly even a Chinese company that will gain access with an established cult like brand to world markets.

Several times this summer I went over 800 miles on a single fill up. A single 10 minute fill up. I used to think when electric vehicles reached the 300 mile mark that would be a milestone. The more I’ve thought about it almost any big old land boat with a 20 gallon tank goes that far on a 10 minute fill up.

Abacus may be exactly right, give me more range than my tdi on less money and a similar fill up time and maybe I’ll take notice, and even then I might still ignor it since it’s doubtful I’ll be able to do the maintenance without a degree in electrical engineering. Besides I don’t want self driving and it probably doesn’t come with a stick.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder why one might make a comment like this on a vw tdi forum. It would be like me going to the Tesla forum and making a similar comment.
When someone trades in their Tesla for a TDI I honestly look forward to hearing from them on the Tesla forum. If they can make a compelling case for why the TDI is better than their Tesla perhaps I'll do the same.

My Tesla could have a 70 mile range and ~95% of the time I wouldn't notice and your average driver wouldn't either... aside from the fact that their car oddly always has a 'full tank' when they leave home.

I drove my TDI 860 miles on a tank once didn't do me any good over the Tesla since combining stops for lunch and breaks plus the fact I was doing ~55 I easily travel the same ~800 miles in the same amount of time. My trips from NM=>WA took ~3 days in my Jetta... and ~3 days in the Tesla.

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Congratulations for the OP on getting the Model 3 and enjoying the overall driving experience.

It is somewhat perplexing to me that the TDI/light duty diesel technology has to 'compete' against the electrical vehicle and specifically the Tesla cars. To me it seems that they should complement each other until the battery technology advances enough to be a substitute.

If the TDI is a 'dinosaur' then I wonder what we make of the rest of the cars that Americans drive struggling to achieve a lifetime average of 20 MPG? It seems to me that, somehow, we live in two different worlds . One that sees that America is eager to buy electrical vehicles and save the environment and the other one that is doing the 'SUVisization' and 'truckturization' of America. Where do you see the trends pointing towards?

The Tesla Model 3 is not obviously a family car, meaning an SUV, that costs around $35K. But we have the new GM Equinox diesel that has the potential to be a family car achieving a lifetime in the upper 30's MPG. Now a family who chooses to buy an Equinox diesel vs the gasoline version or other non-diesel SUVs should be commended for their choice which I would consider far from being a 'dinosaur' choice but an excellent one for reducing the impact of their family car will have on the environment.

In my opinion EVs will gain a lot more momentum when fuel prices will hit our threshold pf pain.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
I almost put a deposit down on a model 3 but am glad I didn't. Production is too slow and I wouldn't have had a model 3 delivery for many years. Add to that, the cost is a bit crazy for a fully optioned model 3. Probably better getting a used model s.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
"Same price range as an average sedan"? Really? Average sedans are priced in the mid-20s these days. Don't think that's what a Model 3 would cost.

I drove a Model S for the first time on New Year's (thanks Jason and Lawson). I was impressed. But I don't want one. I don't want any $80K+ car, nor a Model 3 at $40-50K, or whatever it ends up costing. I have the same feeling about a new Mercedes or BMW. They worry me because of the complexity. I feel the same way about my 335d, but at least it didn't cost much.

I'm very happy driving my TDI, thanks. I appreciate its simplicity and that I can repair most things that go wrong. And not much goes wrong.

I've heard the "always leave home with a full tank" line before. You better, since a Model 3 is about out of range at the time my TDI fuel gauge comes off the full mark. I've driven it over 800 miles on a tank many times, and at speeds a lot higher than 55 MPH. And typically my rest stops are less than 10 minutes.

I like Teslas. They're great for some people. But not for everyone, just like TDIs aren't for everyone. I hope you enjoy the car.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
I like Teslas. They're great for some people. But not for everyone, just like TDIs aren't for everyone. I hope you enjoy the car.
So...... what's the plan for breaking our addiction to petroleum for fuel?

Obviously a $35k car isn't for 'everyone' but electrifying our transportation is morally obligatory. Get a $7k used LEAF....

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Well said IBW. Not for everyone, cuts both ways. With diesel and electric. Thankfully we still live in a nation that does not mandate one or the other. Or at least we used to, with the diesel restrictions and the electric incentives that has probably changed.

In three days I can drive from Caribou to Oceanside. I’m always in a hurry when I drive somewhere. Gas, eats and bathroom all in one stop if possible. Though with an 800 mile range you usually have an additional food and bathroom break at the halfway mark.

I’m glad Tesla owners like their cars that’s an awful lot of money to spend and wish you hadn’t. Five years ago I bought my 05 for just about 7k. Last week I crossed the 300k mark. It owes me nothing.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So...... what's the plan for breaking our addiction to petroleum for fuel?...[/QUOTE

Drill more..lots more. I sit on top of the Marcellus shale. A few years ago some wind farms were built locally. Three of them, approximately 100mega watts each is the way it’s measured I believe. On any given day those wind farms are spitting out a pathetic 17 megawatts each. And the “green” jobs are non existent from those projects, a few temporary construction jobs with imported help and probably half a dozen permanent positions at each place.

The gas drillers on the other hand have come in and hired almost every available body in the county that wants to work. And they pay really well, now are the jobs temporary? Sure, but the drillers have been here for over 5 years and still going the wind company’s are long gone.

There is no plan to wean ourselves from oil and gas and live like the Amish, which is exactly what will happen if you depend on wind and solar. Only the rich will be able to afford the goodies in life and everyone else gets the dregs.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Let's not go down that road (see what I did there? :D) Teslas have their environmental penalties, too. I'm not convinced that one is better than the other.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In the interest of civility I put him on my ignore list.

surfponto

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
The Leaf range is the deal killer for me.

We tend to travel a lot, San Diego to Central Coast, Mountains and desert
TDI cost me 22,000 back in 2013.
Have got my moneys worth and then some...
Was not happy with the emissions scandal and am still on fence with selling it back or fixing it.

Obviously a $35k car isn't for 'everyone' but electrifying our transportation is morally obligatory. Get a $7k used LEAF....

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)

For me "morally obligatory" is to use as judiciously as possible my monetary resources. What if I keep and maintain my older TDI that has a generous cargo and great performance without being a gas guzzling six or eight cylinder SUV as my family car (both urban and road car in one)? Then what I have extra $ I put to increase the efficiency of my house or save for the future of my family.

Efficiency and sustainability can be achieved in various ways in our life; that's the beauty of it. "Not putting all our egg$$ in one basket" :)

Makes sense, no?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I am currently in Mexico on vacation (going to Peru later this year) in part due to the money I saved by driving an older TDI, money that would not be there with a new car payment or high electrical costs. I plan and direct where and how my money is best utilized for me, since it's the fruits of my labor and does not come easily.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I would love to switch to electric in many ways but it just isn't practical for me. I love my Passat with its 80 litre tank and all wheel drive, torque and manual trans. LOVE IT!

I would want the same from an electric car - AWD. That costs a LOT currently. My Passat cost me $10k five years ago.

I drive out of town for work pretty regularly - nearest town to mine is 100km one way through mountainous roads that are treacherous in the winter - thus the need for AWD. Often I have to drive to towns 200km away and back in the same day and no speed chargers (or any plug ins) for several km from my destination. A Tesla might work but would probably delay me some. But an AWD one - used Model S or Model 3 - costs about $80k CDN and that is wayyyy outside my price range.

I am hoping my Passat will last me 10 years more or so and by then a used Tesla AWD will be available in my price range and more charging stations too.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI

I love the smell of my "zero emissions controls" 7.3 diesel fired up on a cold winters morn.

oil powered vehicles aren't going away anytime soon

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Have they learned how to run an electric power plant on unicorn farts yet, or are they still using coal?

And 220 mile range just doesn't work for me. I like to get where I'm going in a reasonable amount of time and with a minimal amount of hassle.