Jeep / Mercedes 3.0L CRD Engine

fierodough

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle
I'm probably getting a Cherokee 3.0L diesel CRD. Same engine as the Sprinter vans and other Mercedes vehicles. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a discussion section about this engine? Seems like it's getting popular. I know I'd like to learn as much as I can about it.

Cheers!

Willis81

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, ML320 CDI
If only they were using a mercedes engine. The engine going in the jeep is produced by VM motori, the same company that made the 4 cylinders in the 2005-2006 jeep liberty crd. If you know anyone that owns one of these you'll know that it can't be your only vehicle, you need a backup for the days that it is down. Hopefully the new 3.0 engine has better reliability. Maybe in Canada you'll get lucky and it won't be plagued with the emissions equipment that was the source of many of their troubles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Depends on if he's getting a new or used one. Jeep did use the Mercedes engine in the Grand Cherokee in '07 and '08. We don't hear a lot about these engines, which probably is a good thing.

Zlartibartfast

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD 2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I own a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD (WK in the US - the engine is the MB OM642). I've had it for 13 months and put 10K miles on it. I split my driving about 50/50 between the Jeep and the Jetta. The Jetta is loads of fun, gets terrific MPG, and all that other stuff we (as owners) know. The Jeep is loads of fun, gets terrific MPG (for a 2.5 ton SUV), and is NOT easy to find support for (thanks to jeep forums I am armed with information and knowledge is POWER).

The new Jeep Grand Cherokee is not an MB engine, is not shipp[ing the US yet, and I have no first-hand knowledge of it. But what I read form the OP is this is the MB engine we're talking about.

OK the engine is the same as found in the Sprinter CRD, and other cars, but being that it's in a Jeep it has unique fittings. The air intake is unique, and in some owner's eyes, flawed. Many owners modify it to reduce (or eliminate) the amount of blow-by oil that gets sucked into the turbo then forced into the intercooler, and is associated with the failure of the swirl motor. There are different options to address those issues with - some are legal in the US, some not. Mine is stock now but I'm looking at making some (legal) mods.

Also Chrysler did a lot of things to make it smooth and quiet, but at the expense of efficiency. They never went back to upgrade the tuning for it, so most owners (myself included) purchase after-market tunes. OEM, the Jeep seems a bit anemic. Tune it and it comes ALIVE! It can be flashed via the OBD2 port. I keep my tuner onboard so I can flash back to stock if required (I've never needed to yet)

I have not dyno'ed mine with the tune but others have done theirs, and report BHP of 250, torque of 450ft/lbs.

I have recorded MPG of 29 BUT with the rear gears being so low (3.73) that's @ 45 MPH.

Normal driving @ 2300 RPM (65 MPH) I get about 26 MPG. The EPA ratings for OEM were more like 22 MPG HWY and 18 City.

It can pull a house off it's foundation, or tow a 7,500 lb trailer. It can get from 0-60 in 8 seconds. I can go 550 miles (maybe more) on one tank of fuel. It does not require DEF; rather it uses post-combustion injection to regen it's DPF. It uses it's glow-plugs to get the temps up for regen (another controversial "feature")

and there is so much more to them, but I have to get back to work now.....go check out what the Jeep people say about theirs! most if not all will tell you it's a GREAT car

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just to be clear, DEF is used for SCR, and has nothing at all to do with a DPF. Common bit of confusion. SCR and DPF do two different things. SCR is a NOx reduction strategy, like EGR. DPF is a PM (soot) reduction strategy. SCR allows a diesel engine to do what it does best: run lean, because it addresses NOx post combustion. They'll still have EGR, but need less of it, which means they can run with more oxygen in the air charge (leaner) and will then produce less PM, which means the DPF won't have to work as much, so in the end SCR-equipped diesels use less fuel.

The OM642 in some of the newer Sprinters does use SCR, FWIW. They didn't need it when they were using it in the Jeeps, but the new VM Motori engine does have it.

raffshore

I have one converted to SRT, bumpers, rims, interior, suspensions, brakes.

Mounted a 2260vlkr from a 265HP 320 cdi and with Rub map, 298 HP and 720 NM

Deleting dps & EGR & cat did wel on the fuel consumtion, went from 11.8L every 100 km to 10.2L

Zlartibartfast

Veteran Member
TDI
@oilhammer - thanks for the clarification. I remember (now) reading that a while back. It's worth noting that the WK CRD was not 50-state legal, but the new ones that use DEF did get 50-state certified

@raffshore - sounds like you live in Europe! Those mods can get you in trouble over here. Are you a member of Jeep Garage? I heard about that turbo swap, but some owners expressed concerns that the WJ5400 transmission couldn't hold up to that much torque....

raffshore

I am sorry but I read more carefully now :D

Where did you get your info?
The swirl breaks because of carbon buildup caused by EGR no?

I can confirm that there is not 1 difference in the engine exept for the oil pan and oil pick up...

Yes I am in Europe, why you should get into trouble? no one can see the mods on the engine and exhaust and there is no Check engine light...

The WJ5400 or NAG1 (WA580 or W5A580) or 722.6 is very strong. It's rated from the factory 580 nm, I am driving it now for 52000 km no failure. (used in all the SRT8 and some AMG cars)

It's possible to upgrade to 700nm + with AMG friction plates :)

Yes it's mine at the jeep garage

Zlartibartfast

Veteran Member
TDI
the swirl motor failure is attributed to oil buildup in the motor; owners have reported a leaking seal in the air intake tube where it couples to the turbo air inlet. Mine has had it's tube replaced with the new seal design, but I'm still concerned about the oil getting into the system through the PCV valve/tube. The GDE tune that I have deletes the swirl motor function, leaving the flaps full open all the time, so if it were to actually fail there would be no DTC and no limp mode.

I read that some other motors (eg BMW) had their swirl flaps/valves fail due to carbon build up, but none of the WK CRD owners that I know of have experienced that failure.

The reason one might get into trouble for removing their DPF is because some states require a visual inspection of the exhaust along with a scan of the ECU. It is illegal to drive on public roads without all OEM emissions equipment connected, so if you are caught with these modifications, you could be fined.

So, you rebuilt your trans with AMG friction plates? I hadn't heard of that - how much does that cost?

I looked for a 2260 from Garrett but I only found a 2259. Is that the one you installed?

raffshore

I didn't do anything to my gearbox untill now, there are verious benz forums where you can find info

My DPF & cat are only empty so visual : check :)
Emissions is no problem at all

no, it's a 2260 ball bearing water cooled from OM642LS 265HP, almost plug and play

Zlartibartfast

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't do anything to my gearbox untill now, there are verious benz forums where you can find info
so your unmodified trans has been holding up to the torque increase? hhhmmm....makes me think...MORE POWER....

My DPF & cat are only empty so visual : check :)
Emissions is no problem at all
ah yes - gutted the shells - gotcha

no, it's a 2260 ball bearing water cooled from OM642LS 265HP, almost plug and play
MORE POWER...MUST FIND BIGGER TURBO!!!
except the mods I've been performing are for economy, and pouring more fuel into the engine is probably going the wrong direction for my purposes

Twikky

TDI
2010 Touareg T2 TDI
Hello, Sorry for the minor deviation in topic, However A sibling of mine is a recent owner of a CRD and wants to know if there's a trusted mechanic in the Montreal region (Quebec, Canada)

My TDI guy doesn't do CRD unfortunately.
Thanks for the assistance!

Zlartibartfast

Veteran Member
TDI
There are many CRD owners living in Quebec over @ jeepforum - you might inquire over there.

If there is a place that works on Sprinters nearby, I'd start there. They also came with the OM642 CRD, so a mechanic that knows the Dodge Sprinter should have access to the Jeep information.

In my town I found a shop that has all the Bosch data and although I'm the first Jeep CRD owner they met, they've had no trouble working on my truck

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Hello, Sorry for the minor deviation in topic, However A sibling of mine is a recent owner of a CRD and wants to know if there's a trusted mechanic in the Montreal region (Quebec, Canada)

My TDI guy doesn't do CRD unfortunately.
Thanks for the assistance!
What does he need done? Does he have the Liberty CRD or the Grand Cherokee? I have owned both. I don't know of any good mechanics as I do most of the work myself. PM me if you want more information.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey Guys i know it is an old thread but i am wondering if someone knows what the the Max power the engine will take before the bottom end will need to be BEEFED up on a Jeep 3.0l CRD OM642 . A friend is putting in a lot of money to Upgrade his truck to over 400hp and suspension,brake,stereo and paint. He was told at 500 hp the internals need to be changed. Is that true? or was he informed wrong. I can't seem to find anything on line so i found this thread.

Thanks Guys

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
you'd be best to ask on a Mercedes forum - we mod tdi's, not om642. With that said, only the europeans are doing stuff with that engine

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey yay we thanks for you input as I am on this forum for over 6years and I know this is a VW site. But some of the comments left tells Me they know a thing or two. And I do believe me have one or two people here that work on those cars and some of them might be from Europe. By the way I have already home to other forums to ask the same question

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Yup, many of us know many things, including Mercedes (I currently own 2 older ones and am up to date with pretty well any Mercedes released over the last 8 years or so)

I came up with a few options with this search, but 1 of the big challenges with that engine is that you're limited in space. Sure, you can put on a 2260 on it (like what's being offered on the 2nd link) but it's not like our cars where you can put pretty well anything on as long as the turbo itself won't hit the firewall. Intercooler piping can be upgraded also, but again, you're limited by space. Big exhaust is no problem. I would start with a GDE Tune for that truck and go from there. Having owned big torque in my life (335d), I found that there was no space to actually play with the car, and that in turn ended up frustrating.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Yatzee thanks. My friend is putting in over 80 grand in the truck so it is not he his shy of money. Is is getting turbo exhaust intercooler the whole works. The probllem is he might to put in NOS also. He just wants to know the limit of the block and rods are. I shake my head at him doing this but he his doing this as a show truck for his Buisness

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks,but i hope the forum is better than Signing Up. Having to answer a skill testing Question ....what a JOKE

But lets see what imfo i get

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hi yatzee just to let you know that Forum can fudge off. First registering is a jocke. Finally i am registered and what is like 4 days later i can not reply....

Thanks for doing this for me but i am not going to that site again

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Hi yatzee just to let you know that Forum can fudge off. First registering is a jocke. Finally i am registered and what is like 4 days later i can not reply....

Thanks for doing this for me but i am not going to that site again
Oh ok. I actually really appreciate that they screen users - might not have been ideal in your case, but it tends to keep the number of useless posts down.

harshamutu

TDI
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I am not sure if this is the correct thread for my need. However, I appreciate any assistance given to me in this respect.

my Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited, Manufactured in 2006, is fitted with a Mercedes Benz engine. Type OM642DE. I am in need of a short block or a long block. Please let me know how to find one. Thanks and Best regards

Harsha

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
The OM642 engine seems super reliable, all things considered and the pure number of them installed globally. I need to find someone locally who would like to help me with some projects on mine.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
The OM642 engine seems super reliable, all things considered and the pure number of them installed globally. I need to find someone locally who would like to help me with some projects on mine.
As far as I can tell, I wouldn't call the OM642 super reliable.
Oil cooler seal, injector seals, chain stretch, oil gelling, and seized engines are not uncommon enough.
Some reading on MB World might be helpful.
Adblue tank failure is another problem
Post #24 is not uncommon

Last edited:

qtxedea2018

TDI
jeep
I have 3 Jeep 3.0 CRD any info would be great

just joined and have a lot of info on my 3 Jeeps

so to start with you need to delete the PDF filter and squirrel valve and everything that is not good for the engine

one of my jeeps has 200K, I have owned this jeep from 30K to 200K

problems fixed ( runs great)

battery R2
generator R2
starter R2
glow plug module R2
front end stuff R2
brakes /struts
fixed fuel tank (gas tank renew) fixed
and oil/air/fuel filters (every 7,500 miles)
fuel filter hose and clamps

2008 150K ( runs great)

frontend balls joint etc
delete software
drill out PDF

2007 jeep 115K ( runs great)

delete software
drill out PDF