Portland area caravan to Seattle 3/18/06 Bio-fest

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
Okay, so let's get a list together for people who will be caravaning from the portland area to the bio fest -- this can include people who want to meet up with us from other places, or on the way there.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I have to leave by 0500 in order to get to my vendor spot--anyone else game?
*Mutters about no sleep...*
-BB

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
how long of a drive is it? We'll be taking Carin's car, as mine's seen enough long drives of late...... :)

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
3-hours. :) Care to come early?

TylerSales

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 New Beetle
I'm up in Olympia and would love to meet some people on the their way up. Time is really no issue as I do early morning drives very very often. It is about an hour and fourty five minutes to Olympia via I-5 from Portland to kind of give an idea of when you would be passing through Olympia.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Eeekk... We just found out we may be closing on a house on the 22nd, so with crazyness ensuing after, we can't commit to an early start just yet... We may actually go up the night before, as Carin apparently has some extended family up there.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Eeekk... We just found out we may be closing on a house on the 22nd, so with crazyness ensuing after, we can't commit to an early start just yet... We may actually go up the night before, as Carin apparently has some extended family up there.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Not sure if I'll be able to make it.

Tom will be at a meet in Federal Way, so if I go up with him, I will have to leave on Friday morning or Thurs. night.
Otherwise I will drive up by myself or with the 3 yr. old or with the 15 yr. old or with both of them.

Gotta figure this one out still.

But caravans are so much fun!

Where would everyone be meeting?

:)
Keli

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
Aaron may be on his own for an early time, I started this so we could decide on a time and meeting place. a possible place to meet could be the jantzen beach shopping center, it's on the way for most (i-5) and given our travel in the morning, traffic in and out should not be an issue.

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
And once you swing through Tacoma - I have two ideas/options:
1st option - meet @ the truck scales in Fife (been there, done that)
2nd option - meet @ the new APP BioD location in Fife (just off the I-5).

But I'd guess meeting in Tacoma @ either location around 9am. Doors open around 10am. It's about 30-45 minutes from Fife to Magnuson Park.

You guys can figure out the rest as to when/where, but the truck scales works like a charm (though I'd like to show off the new BioD station:cool: ).

michael.

avantaholic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sportwagon.
I'll be plotting with Heinz soon, but TDI parking may fill up quickly- I'll have to see what Heinz wants to do... we could offer some sort of pre-registration, with a small fee that goes to Fred, or maybe just first come, first parked. There will be plenty of parking on site, buy only room for 30 or so reserved TDI spots.

Great to see all the enthusiasm- this will be fun! The politicians are lining up, the expert panels are coming together, the $$$ to pay for it all is slowly rolling in, we have some food on site... all this, and a beer garden- and bands!!! Holy Crap- this may just be a party with a mission!!!

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Hot Air Alert!

The politicians are lining up,
:rolleyes:

You should make them pay to speak and cover NWBD cost's.

Ehh... I can dream can't I?

Thanks for your work on this Aaron!

Beer garden... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BleachedBora

TDI
Guess I'll have to bring my own supply of ROOT beer ;)

BleachedBora

TDI
Nice! I'll bring a 6-pack! :)

avantaholic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sportwagon.
BleachedBora said:
Guess I'll have to bring my own supply of ROOT beer ;)
There will be all sorts of beverages available- but you can bring your own non-alcoholic drinks! New Belgium is donating the beer, which is being poured by Dante's Bar. Dante's is donating all proceeds after their labor costs- so you can feel good about buying good beer!

We'll do whatever we must to pay for this thing!

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Drinking beer for a good cause. Well, if you insist.;)

Back to the thread topic...

PDX Crew and other caravaners, let us Tacoma Boys (& Gals) know when you are expecting to pass thru and if you'd like to meet up.

I agree with michael. above. The truck scales one mile South of Exit 142/Hwy18 would be very easy and folks are familiar with them.

But in keeping with the spirit of the GTG, perhaps meeting at the shiny new Biodiesel fueling station might be better. And I'll even "borrow" the nice map he made:

Fat Tire... mmmmm

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
Man - that map was sure tough to build... many clicks - I might have carpel tunnel:eek:

I like the idea of 'our' BioD pump as a meeting point. We can pick a time for others to meet, and then the PDXers show up when they roll through.

If we meet around 9am? Be sure to roll by 9:30am? That'll put us in Seattle right around 10am.

michael.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm 95% sure I'm in. Looks like I'll be caravanning with the little guy. Tom is heading up to Federal Way on Thurs. evening.

I can't remember how long it takes to get to the Tacoma meet site. 1.5-2 hours? How far off of the freeway is the biodiesel station? And how much is bio going for there? I may want to fill up there rather than spend $3.29 at Sequential.

I think the Safeway parking lot at Jantzen Beach would be a good place. I've never gotten on I-5 North from there, but it should be easy.
Should we meet there around 7am? There's a couple of places to get coffee. Donuts too at the Safeway. I don't think the Krispy Kreme is completed yet.

Can someone start a list? I don't have the computer skills to cut and paste.:rolleyes:

-Keli

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
B99 is $3.29 in Fife as well.
The new station is 3 or 4 minutes off of I-5. <1mile.
The exit is 137 miles from the OR/WA line. To make it in less than 2hrs from Portland would be... impressive.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I'm in from Portland section northward, but I'll probably drive slow...as in 65:eek: Yes, I actually drive the speed limit a lot these days. Love the mileage :)

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, 2008 E320 Bluetec
nicklockard said:
I'm in from Portland section northward, but I'll probably drive slow...as in 65:eek: Yes, I actually drive the speed limit a lot these days. Love the mileage :)
I guess we'll have to give you a 45 minute head start.

BleachedBora

TDI
Well, if you take my tire diameter into account, I got 856 miles and 57 MPG doing 55 while drafting behind semis up to Seattle and back... :p

avantaholic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sportwagon.
michael. said:
If we meet around 9am? Be sure to roll by 9:30am? That'll put us in Seattle right around 10am.
michael.
You *may* want to get rolling earlier- if you want to park in the TDI Club reserved parking! There will be plenty of other parking...

look forward to seeing the whole crew! make sure to take ots of pics.

Sequential BioFuels is planning on coming up- they may be fun to caravan with (though they will be early!)

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
Directions and Time

I have generated maps for the caravan along with driving times including arival and departure using Microsoft trips and streets 2006. With the tacoma people suggesting a 9am meeting at the bio pump, the group in portland needs to depart from the safeway parking lot no later than 6:39am. I allowed a 30 minute window at the Bio-D pump so we would leave the tacoma Bio-D pump at 9:30. This would put us at the GTG at 10:12. I can move the times around depending on peoples opinion and if we want to get to the GTG sooner.

Below you will find 8 links. The first set is for the directions and associated maps in color PDF's. The second are the same maps in grayscale PDF's.

Color PDF's
1 of 4
2 of 4
3 of 4
4 of 4

Grayscale PDF's
1 of 4
2 of 4
3 of 4
4 of 4

Map of the park (we're in building 30)
Park Map

Last edited:

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
JetPuf said:
you mean people arnt comfortable with about 2500 rpm? say, 70-72ish?
That's pretty slow.

I generally keep around 10 over. Usually closer to 15. Going with the flow of traffic is good. I figure as long as a few people pass me once in awhile, I'm okay.

Now I've just ruined my traffic cop juju.:eek:

I like to run about 2800rpm or so.

But that's just me......:rolleyes:

:DKeli