What did you do to your car today?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
02J out.
02M in.

Given my predilection for making stupid mistakes, I was surprised at how (relatively) smoothly it went.

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
"but after replacing shocks, tires, rear brakes, filters and fluids when I purchased"

When I read this the first thing that came to my mind was the top gear show where Jeremy bought a MB for 6500 pounds and lost a bet that within a month he would have to spend 1000 pounds on repairs.

Good thing your exp. was better but I bet all those fixes were more than a 1000 dollars. but since the exchange rate is not a 1 to 1 you would have had to spend more to equal that.

Ron

mposey519

TDI
Black 2001 VW Golf GLS
Replaced the brake light that'd gone out, stared at it and wished I had the money to do more to it right now...suspension and new tires are coming very soon

Side note, worked on my wife's Saturn Outlook yesterday due to a CEL. EVAP large leak detected......I screwed in the gas cap and cleared the code...Problem solved!!! :-D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Installed the blue tinted blindspot mirrors. Neat. Also got my 10k service reminder due in 400 miles.
Are these those little round stick on mirrors? The PO had those on my Jetta and they were the first thing I removed as they are very annoying.

dmoonen

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta 1.9L TDI, 00 Jetta Alh and several others.
"but after replacing shocks, tires, rear brakes, filters and fluids when I purchased"

When I read this the first thing that came to my mind was the top gear show where Jeremy bought a MB for 6500 pounds and lost a bet that within a month he would have to spend 1000 pounds on repairs.

Good thing your exp. was better but I bet all those fixes were more than a 1000 dollars. but since the exchange rate is not a 1 to 1 you would have had to spend more to equal that.

Ron
I assume your quoting me? Meh in my opinion cars are a hobby and a money pit as any hobby is. This one I picked up as a sacrifice so I don't have to offer the rest of the collection to the salt gods of Ontario winters ;) Really all the material was on my shelves so didn't put me back any additional cash.

But the sacrifice looks pretty dam good though

Last edited:

smopoim86

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 11 Sportwagen
Do those stick on or have a frame on the back??
They have a frame on the back. Tilt the mirrors in and down, pop them off with a small screwdriver, unhook the heater wires, reverse. There are some decent videos showing how to remove and replace the mirror glass.

Between my car and the other mk4s in my family I've done it probably 10 times and haven't broken anything.

Last edited:

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
Are these those little round stick on mirrors? The PO had those on my Jetta and they were the first thing I removed as they are very annoying.
Not the little round stick on guys. They were the proper aspheric euro mirrors. They came with the proper frame on the back. Out popped the old mirrors, unplug heater wires, plug in heater to new and pop them back in place. Did it over my lunch break at work.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Installed a set of GLI seats into my Golf. Pretty easy, connectors matched. Found out the rear seatback with the seat belt strap was bent. When the seatback is in the car, the middle of the seatback is four inches forward. I'm guessing the donor car was in a rear end accident and the seatback is bent because of that. Looking on Ebay and Craigslist for a replacement.

Otherwise, great seats, much better than the stock cloth OEM ones.

gary2smart

TDI
2013 TDI Jetta
Removed Muffler and added a very long resonator. Nice sound at low RPM no drone at high RPM its music to my ear for now.

Last edited:

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
Finally fixed my 'exhaust leak noise under load' by replacing the exhaust gaskets. MUCH better! It sounded almost exactly like it does when an injector leaks but it was not leaving the tell-tale soot around the injectors.

It looked like I had one of the exhaust gasket on up side down when I installed the 17/22 a couple years and 30k miles ago and it finally let me know. How I missed that the first time around I'll never know.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
Sold it. No more highway miles with the new commute so I sold the 2012 Jetta and got a 2015 GTI. I'll still come by to read the stories when filling up at a "gasoline" station and such though. Now I have to remember to not pull up to the diesel/combo pump for you guys!

gary2smart

TDI
2013 TDI Jetta
Installed Street Racer Coilovers two finger spaces above tires. Will allow it to settle ans allign next weekend.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Sold it. No more highway miles with the new commute so I sold the 2012 Jetta and got a 2015 GTI. I'll still come by to read the stories when filling up at a "gasoline" station and such though. Now I have to remember to not pull up to the diesel/combo pump for you guys!
Try not to put diesel in your gasser ;)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Refurbished the wiper linkage on the 4-dr last Saturday. One of the pivots was really hard to turn - that wiper motor must put out some serious torque.

Disassembled and re-greased after a clean up of the corrosion. I will find out in a couple of months if the grease is too thick for sub-zero temperatures.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In the past few (ok - LOTS of) days:
Pulled the head after diagnosing damaged lifters
Got replacement head from Franko6 that had sand in it, plus dinged up camshaft (more on that later), so then waited on an exchange for that.
Re-installed the head.
Pulled out the 5sp.
In went the 6sp. from Frans (more on that later, too)
Pressed new TT bushings into the LCAs
Then the GT1749VC from Xman (guess what - that didn't exactly go without a hitch either; let's just say my vendor experiences on this project haven't exactly been stellar)

(Now, just waiting on Malone tune....oh, pretty please...)

And then just tonight, diagnosed the driver airbag light that came on after I'd installed the FIS/MFA wiper stalk (bent a pin on the clock spring connector when putting everything back together).

Just took it for a spin around the block...nothing fell off or exploded, so I'm feeling pretty good about it (for now at least).

Now it's just the niggly stuff: Euro wipers; wiring up the multifunction steering wheel controls to control aftermarket head unit (speaking of which, anyone heard anything on when Pioneer is releasing its CarPlay firmware update???); getting the FIS cluster installed/IMMO matched; and probably 11 other things I'm forgetting.

Last edited:

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Nice one, any chance we could meet up some time, currently up island for work till next week, would love to check out the butt dyno on that turbo!? :)

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
Pioneer has released the firmware for carplay already. it was released the beginning of the month. the forums for that is avic411.com

Ron

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice one, any chance we could meet up some time, currently up island for work till next week, would love to check out the butt dyno on that turbo!? :)
Always game for a meet up with a fellow TDI geek. :D; unfortunately, I'm away so often over the next three weeks, that I honestly just don't have the time. I'll be in Victoria mid-November if you want to meet up there.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pioneer has released the firmware for carplay already. it was released the beginning of the month. the forums for that is avic411.com
You know - as I was typing that, I thought: Maybe I should do a quick search to see if the update was released. But then I got distracted by [who the hell knows what - internet has killed my attention span] and neglected to do so.
Downloading the update now.... :D

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
squirrel

You know - as I was typing that, But then I got distracted by [who the hell knows what - internet has killed my attention span] :D
squirrel

Ron