View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2009, 20:34   #10
Ookpic
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 41

Ok, not sure what your route is or how "leisurely" your plans are...

I'm also not too sure about other provinces, but rather than going through northern Ontario, if you head south at Winnipeg on highway 75 and cut down through the US 29 south and then hook up with I94 you could do the loop around Lake Michigan going through Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Chicago.

After visiting Chicago, you could come back up to Milwaukee and cross Lake Michigan on the Lake Express which comes out at Muskegan, MI. You then head East through Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Detroit. You then can cross over the Detroit/Windsor border into Ontario.

If you are up for a historical lake shore drive when you get to Ontario, there are some neat places you can visit on your way through. You can head through Amherstburg, Kingsville, Leamington. Then you can hook up on to the Talbot Trail which takes you through Wheatly, Blenheim, Wallacetown. You can detour down to Port Stanley and St. Thomas then back south to Port Bruce, Port Burwell, Port Rowan, Turkey Point, Port Dover. You can then head north to Cayuga, on your way to the Welland Canal and Niagara Falls. Then you can either route yourself back up around Lake Ontario through Hamilton, Mississauga, Toronto on your way to Ottawa and then on to Montreal.

This trip is definitely NOT the shortest or quickest way through Ontario but like I said, not sure how leisurely your driving plans are. There are certainly lots of little "burgs" along Talbot Trail and at times not a lot to look at however more scenic than the 401/402 for sure.

Here is a link to Google maps and some various links for this route.

MinneapolisMilwaukeeChicagoGrand RapidsLansing

DetroitWindsorAmherstburgKingsville

Leamington

Wheatley

Blenheim

Wallacetown

Port Stanley

St. Thomas

London

Port Bruce

Port Burwell

Port Rowan

Turkey Point

Port Dover

Cayuga

Welland Canal

Niagara FallsSt. Catherines

Hamilton

Mississauga

TorontoOttawa

Montreal

Sorry for the length. Once I started, I just kept on going . Sounds like an awesome trip!! I'm a bit of a info mining geek so if you would like any more on anything specific, just PM me your email address.
2002 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) 5 spd | GLI Leather Interior | Malone Tuning Stage 5 | 17/22 Hybrid turbo | Eurojet SMIC | PD150 Intake | PD150 TIP | PD150 Upper Airbox | R32 Lower airbox | R32 DSG Snorkel | ARP Headstuds | WaveTrac LSD | DBW Tuned R520 nozzles | DC Stage III+ Clutch | PD150 Stealth Race Pipe | Whitbread Performance Innovations custom 3" exhaust & IC piping | TT LCA Bushings | Durometer 80 Dogbone with poly insert
Ookpic is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07753 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 21.97 Kb. compressed to 20.40 Kb. by saving 1.57 Kb. (7.16%)]