Volkswagen says US pickup is back on the table

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The Amarok is a lot larger than a Touareg. The Amarok is available with the 8-speed auto and it's then rated at 9.8 l/100km city and 7.0 l/100km hwy (8.6/6.8 with start/stop)

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
The Amarok is a lot larger than a Touareg. The Amarok is available with the 8-speed auto and it's then rated at 9.8 l/100km city and 7.0 l/100km hwy (8.6/6.8 with start/stop)
I don't have the exact curb weight of the CrewCab Amarok but thought it was ~2000kg. The Touareg is 2256kg.

Start/stop is definitely a good thing if it works. Many years ago I was in an old european VW with start/stop, and it was horrible. By all accounts, the new ones are almost seamless. I understand the new RAM 1500 pickup has start/stop. Wish my truck did.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
I don't have the exact curb weight of the CrewCab Amarok but thought it was ~2000kg. The Touareg is 2256kg.

Start/stop is definitely a good thing if it works. Many years ago I was in an old european VW with start/stop, and it was horrible. By all accounts, the new ones are almost seamless. I understand the new RAM 1500 pickup has start/stop. Wish my truck did.
Unladen weight for the Crew Cab is reported by VW at 2051-2106kg depending on specification. The highest payload is 1119KG, least 750kg (AWD drivetrain) and unbraked trailer max 750kg, braked trailer 2800kg

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Ok. About the same weight as the Touareg, but even with the 8spd auto it doesn't quite match the Touareg mileage, especially in the city (although start/stop fixes that).

Must be the gearing? Although IIRC the Touareg has a 3.73 rear differential and a 3500kg tow capacity (braked trailer I guess) ...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Unladen weight for the Crew Cab is reported by VW at 2051-2106kg depending on specification. The highest payload is 1119KG, least 750kg (AWD drivetrain) and unbraked trailer max 750kg, braked trailer 2800kg
Doesn't seem like much weight for a pickup. 1600 pounds unbraked and 6000 pounds braked towing and only 1000 pound payload ( 1119 kg - 750 kg). IIRC, my 93 ranger would handle those numbers with the 4 cyl engine, except the top towing weight which I think was 5000 pounds.

Ok, I was mistaken. The f150 with the 6 cyl ( not Eco) is rated at 1600 pound payload and 5000 towing.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
That payload range is the same as Ford's F150's. But the tow capacity is way lower. The BiTDI has higher low-end torque (<2000-2500 rpm) than many small V8s in NA pickups. So maybe there's an option to increase the tow capacity.

You have to be careful with payloads though. It all depends on the configuration and options. My F150's is over 2000#, and you can get an F150 up to 3100# with the Heavy Duty Payload option. But somebody on an F150 forum ended up with about 1000# payload: (crew cab, small V8?, 4x4, big wheels, and much more).

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010

Dear Brian:

Thank you for contacting the Volkswagen Information Center. We appreciate your interest in VW.

The Amarok does not meet our current marketing objectives for the United States; therefore, we have no plans to offer this model in America at this time. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause. Feel free to check back with the website for future updates, especially the following "Upcoming and Concept Cars" link: http://blogs.vw.com/conceptcars.

With every model year, Volkswagen looks for exciting new ways to exceed the competition in the automotive market. One of the downsides of being an importer for the United States market is that it is not always feasible to sell every model available in other countries. Customer feedback enables us to determine what models and vehicle features our customers desire, and we're grateful you took the time to share your feedback with us. Your comments have been documented and made available to the proper parties at Volkswagen of America.

If you're interested in importing this vehicle into the United States, you will need to contact a registered importer in the US for further assistance. A registered importer will be able to tell you exactly what standards and procedures need to be met in order to import a specific vehicle. A list of registered importers can be found on the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) website at: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ActiveRIlist010410.pdf.

Thanks for visiting VW.com!

Emily
Volktalk

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
exactly my point

Dear USA customer. Buy another vehicle. You won't get this one. We sell it to Mexican nationals (no restrictive emissions regulations), but sorry... not you..but NHTSA is doable if you pony up enough $, maybe. I wonder how much?

People have extended conversations about why. Basically, high cost of EPA cert, and no USA domestic manufacturing facility. These two reasons = $

That simple. Scrooood.

I bought 1983 Toyota SR5 4x4 and will eventually convert to 2.2L Toyota naturally aspired 2.2l diesel. A little truck that goes anywhere and climbs like a goat.

I could buy a coversion bell housing plate and plant a 1.9L ALH inthere. Hmmmm. Better mileage than the Amarok, and it would be a Toyota truck for under 10k dollars. Something to ponder...

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Can't see us generating enough interest to influence VWOA in bringing the amarok to the us and Canada. Sorry bu I have to look at reality, or at least that's what my wife says!

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
That payload range is the same as Ford's F150's. But the tow capacity is way lower. The BiTDI has higher low-end torque (<2000-2500 rpm) than many small V8s in NA pickups. So maybe there's an option to increase the tow capacity.
Tow-rating has more to do with braking capacity than pulling power. A braked trailer still trasfers some of the inertia to the towing vehicle. And that force may be applied at an angle to the rear of the vehicle, e.g. when you're descending though a tight hairpin curve.

A lighter vehicle will generally be rated to tow less, regardless of engine power.
I't also not a good idea to tow your max rated wight while the towing vehicle is unladen. Pick-ups especially tend to be very light on the rear axle with no load, and a lateral inertial push from your trailer can throw the tail out easily on a slippery surface.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Tow-rating has more to do with braking capacity than pulling power. A braked trailer still trasfers some of the inertia to the towing vehicle. And that force may be applied at an angle to the rear of the vehicle, e.g. when you're descending though a tight hairpin curve.
A lighter vehicle will generally be rated to tow less, regardless of engine power.
I't also not a good idea to tow your max rated wight while the towing vehicle is unladen. Pick-ups especially tend to be very light on the rear axle with no load, and a lateral inertial push from your trailer can throw the tail out easily on a slippery surface.
All very true. But there's only about a 16% diff in weight between an F150 and Amarok. The tow capacity diff is ~40% when comparing engines with similar low end torque.
But apparently N.A. Manufacturers have agreed to use a SAE standardized system for measuring tow capacity in the future. So maybe all these numbers will change.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Last edited:

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
See http://www.vw-nutzfahrzeuge.ch/ch/de/fahrzeuge/amarok/highlights/ladung.html
The Amarok is able to tow 3500 kg (7716 lbs) with an optional package. 6172 lbs is the standard tow rating.
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/
According to this table, a short wheelbase (126 inch, about 3200 mm) F-150 can tow up to 6000 lbs with the V6, up to 8300 lbs with the V8.
The Amarok has a 122 inch wheelbase, pretty comparable.
Ah thanks. 3500kg is more like it.
And, good point about the wheelbase. I don't know why but Ford drops the 4x4 5L V8 with 3.73 rear diff tow rating from 4128-4400kg to 3629kg when going down to 126" from the longer wheelbase pickups. But it does. Although a shorter wheelbase should decrease tow capacity some, that's a real big drop. (The V6 doesn't drop much at all, but it has a much lower tow capacity to begin with.)
So, yes, the short wheelbase F150 5L V8 and Amarok BiTDI are definitely comparable given their weight, wheelbase and low-end torque. The F150 can tow a bit more, but the Amarok can carry a bit more.
And I can now see why there is little interest in a bigger engine in a smaller tow truck. It would be wasted if it would only increase the tow capacity slightly.
So VW should introduce a larger pickup with the V6 TDI! :D

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
I saw a four door Amarok when I was in Chiapas Mexico in January. I wanted to chase the guy down and chat with him. The rig looked great and I would buy one in a heartbeat if vwoa offered one here. I drove a 2.5L turbo Nissan frontier in chile and absolutely loved it. We averaged 27 mpg US over 1600 miles and I wasn't being gentle. If only other manufactures would wake up.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Interesting fact from the article: The Amarok was the best selling pickup in Germany in 2011, with 3,992 trucks sold over the year.

The other popular trucks were:
2,831 - Nissan Navara
2,409 - Ford Ranger
1,799 - Mitsubishi L200
1,688 - Toyota Hilux
851 - Isuzu D-Max
331 - Nissan NP300
328 - Mazda BT-50
171 - Land Rover Defender Pickup

Ford probably sells more F-150s per minute in the US...

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I wonder... does the Crafter have a body on frame? This seams like a pretty significant departure from the rest of their unibody fleet.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Why are you guys in the states talking about a car that's not even available here? sorry pickup..Pointless...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Because a small/midsized diesel pickup would sell here if any one of the manufacturers would wake up and offer one. I like the looks of the Amarok better than most others I've seen and would love to have only VW diesels sitting in my driveway.

More frustrating than pointless

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Because a small/midsized diesel pickup would sell here if any one of the manufacturers would wake up and offer one. I like the looks of the Amarok better than most others I've seen and would love to have only VW diesels sitting in my driveway.
The difference between the Amarok and the new global Ranger:

Amarok: Can fit 4'by8' sheets of plywood between the wheel arches
Ranger: Can't.

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Why are you guys in the states talking about a car that's not even available here? sorry pickup..Pointless...
We talk about it in hopes VW marketing reads the largest forum in N/A trying to determine which direction to go with production. I'm sure they do Market surveys as well. But look at VW USA's past and you will see the company has not been handled well in the last 30 years. Twice I can remember they almost went out of business...now they claim they want to be the worlds largest automobile mfg. So the U.S. is a great addition to that goal.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting fact from the article: The Amarok was the best selling pickup in Germany in 2011, with 3,992 trucks sold over the year.

The other popular trucks were:
2,831 - Nissan Navara
2,409 - Ford Ranger
1,799 - Mitsubishi L200
1,688 - Toyota Hilux
851 - Isuzu D-Max
331 - Nissan NP300
328 - Mazda BT-50
171 - Land Rover Defender Pickup

Ford probably sells more F-150s per minute in the US...
So VW opened a new plant in Germany to produce 40,000 trucks for a market of around 14,000 trucks per year but they won't consider selling them in the US/Canada because they don't think there is enough available market to support it! How does that make sense?

And please don't direct this back to the stupid chicken tax.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The difference between the Amarok and the new global Ranger:

Amarok: Can fit 4'by8' sheets of plywood between the wheel arches
Ranger: Can't.
We're not getting the global ranger either.

Oh, thanks for the article and pictures.