How many gallons

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
How many gallons does your mk4 golf take to fill when fuel buzzer sounds. Mine is 12.5.

Does glow plug issue reduce fuel mileage

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
That sounds extrememly low. Do you fill to the brim and vent when you fill?

That car can hold over 17 gallons when vented.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
My 2001 Jetta TDI takes about 12.25 gallons to fill after the warning light comes on, and then driving about 25 additional miles. That's with filling to the brim... ;)

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
You could probably do another 50 or 60 miles before running out (but it's impossible to know without finding out the hard way, which is really not a good idea at all).

You mention brimming, but do you vent as well?

c2020again

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Please explain venting. Is it possible to vent a 2001 Jetta? I don't see any valve as mentioned on other posts. Maybe a PO removed mine.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Basically fuel tanks which are shared with the petrol version of the vehicle have an expansion chamber to capture the petrol vapour on hot days & feed it out so that the fuel doesn't overflow. There is a pipe from the expansion chamber to a valve just inside the filler cap. When the cap screws in, it opens the valve and the vapour is free to move up & the liquid fuel to move down.

So venting consists of pressing this valve in some way to let the air escape when refuelling. This is safe on a diesel because diesel doesn't turn into vapour on hot days.

Some cars have the expansion chamber & others don't. All mine have had it (the vento, the A4, the Passat & the A2). But if you don't see the valve then you might have one of the ones without. If someone has already removed the valve, then there should still be a visible hole there instead.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please explain venting. Is it possible to vent a 2001 Jetta? I don't see any valve as mentioned on other posts. Maybe a PO removed mine.
There is a vent valve that is closed when you have the fuel cap off. This is an artifact from the gasser design where it is needed because gasoline expands greatly when external temps heat up. Diesel does not need this safety feature.

When this valve is closed a pocket of air is trapped in the expansion tank. Opening the valve allows the expansion tank to fill with fuel, but is tricky to do when you are filling the tank. You can hold the valve open with the top of the fuel dispensing nozzle, but it is difficult. You can also alterate between topping to the brim and then opening the valve. The easiest way is to remove the valve (aka ventectomy). You can then fill to the brim easily.

If you really only get 12.5 gal while venting after the low fuel warning goes off, then it is set to trip at around 4.5 gal. It's supposed to be around 1.9 gal.

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
I asked the question because my fuel mileage seems low, so i was thinking that the fuel pump reading was off. I use the same pump for each fill up.

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
If you really only get 12.5 gal while venting after the low fuel warning goes off, then it is set to trip at around 4.5 gal. It's supposed to be around 1.9 gal.
i don't vent. except i'm about to if this thread is hijacked any further.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i don't vent. except i'm about to if this thread is hijacked any further.
hijacked?
When discussing fuel tank capacities (such as how much you need to top off after the warning come on), it is pointless to discuss without considering venting. Venting is the only way to ensure you are filling to the same level each time. It gives you more accurate per tank mpg in addition to max range. Why wouldn't anyone choose to vent their tank?

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
How many gallons does your mk4 golf take to fill when fuel buzzer sounds. Mine is 12.5.

Does glow plug issue reduce fuel mileage
The glow plugs can misfire, I would check your coils, wires and distributor also....and make sure the Carb is clean.

When the last time you checked your TB ( Turbo Belt) make sure it's tight, it could be slipping.

Last edited:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I was going to tell you that my wagon holds 16 gallons when the light goes on, but I vent and I would not want to hi jack your thread.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
hijacked?
I think he's joking since a) it's a pun, and b) it obviously is relevant to his thread. Although it can be hard to tell over the net.

It's a good point about the low-fuel light possibly coming on early - on one of my cars the light used to come on just as it was about to run dry (between 2 miles & 20 miles), so the opposite can probably also be true.

Last edited:

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
VWbeamer.....lol...i can't stop laughing...better check the Halogen fluid as well eh!

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
You could probably do another 50 or 60 miles before running out (but it's impossible to know without finding out the hard way, which is really not a good idea at all).
You mention brimming, but do you vent as well?
I have gone 58 miles once the light came on during a highway trip. Once the light came on I lowered my speed to 60mph. I can look t my fueling log, but if I recall correctly I put in 15.45 gallons of fuel!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Without venting it's difficult to get consistent fill-ups. Search for ventectomy here, or simply look in your car's filler neck: You'll see a little black nub on the left side of the neck. Push it towards the center of the car using the wire wrap on the fuel nozzle and you'll get additional fuel in the car. Fill it until you see solid fuel (not foam) in the neck. This can take some time depending on the station. If you do this consistently you'll get much better data on fuel economy per tank.

I've put 16.9 gallons in my wagon at times. 15.5 right when the light comes on is normal.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I swear the wagons hold more, but people say it's the same tank. My sedan the light came on at 14 gallons or so.

I've put over 16.5 gallons in the wagon before , i did ride some after the light came on.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Same part number in ETKA. Who knows? It does seem that people get more fuel in the wagons.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Same part number in ETKA. Who knows? It does seem that people get more fuel in the wagons.
Is the inlet in the same position? For example, if it is higher in the estate then that may be where the extra volume is coming from.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The most I ever pumped in my 01 Golf was just over 17 gal, and this was without running out of fuel.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I filled up this afternoon, low fuel light was on for proabably 35 miles. 16.15 gallons.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Without venting it's difficult to get consistent fill-ups. Search for ventectomy here, or simply look in your car's filler neck: You'll see a little black nub on the left side of the neck. Push it towards the center of the car using the wire wrap on the fuel nozzle and you'll get additional fuel in the car. Fill it until you see solid fuel (not foam) in the neck. This can take some time depending on the station. If you do this consistently you'll get much better data on fuel economy per tank.

I've put 16.9 gallons in my wagon at times. 15.5 right when the light comes on is normal.
^^^^^^^^
What he said... the bold print is crucial to accurate readings and getting as much fuel in the tank as possible. Diesel fuel foams like soda pop or beer when you pour it into a glass. Letting the foam settle and topping off until you see fuel will get you another gallon at least.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I just filled up, light went on 200 yards from gas station. I filled up with 14.15 gallons. My scan gauge read that I had 1.8 gallons left in the tank.