TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Yesterday my wife, the owner of a 2014 BMW 328d xDrive wagon, received a letter from BMW stating the warranty for the HPFP was extended to 10 years / 120,000 miles. That's great news.

The car is 3 years, 4 months old with 50,000 miles. No problems so far with anything. However, my wife doesn't like the navigation system because it doesn't tell her the road she's on. Picky Picky.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Yesterday my wife, the owner of a 2014 BMW 328d xDrive wagon, received a letter from BMW stating the warranty for the HPFP was extended to 10 years / 120,000 miles. That's great news.

The car is 3 years, 4 months old with 50,000 miles. No problems so far with anything. However, my wife doesn't like the navigation system because it doesn't tell her the road she's on. Picky Picky.
I got the same Letter My warranty was extended when I bought the car to 100K

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive

It does if you zoom in/out to the correct distance ;)

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
There's a post on Bimmerpost about this. Not many participating, and the only recurring issue is the transfer case, but that's not 328d specific.
I had the transfer case problem in early September. I never knew it was a known issue and I was quite surprised to be stranded when it dropped. The best part... car had just over 49k on it so the dealer worked with me. I'll explain more if y'all are interested.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
JasonTDI says that if you replace the gear oil in the transfer case every 25,000 miles you're much less likely to have a problem. Says it only holds about 6 oz., but the correct OE oil is $99/liter(!).

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
The dealer explained to me that it was my tires and some uneven wear on the passenger front. It had 4/32" of tread and the rest of the tires had 7/32" . Also, that front passenger rim was bent and the alignment was pretty bad. The transfer case was covered under warranty as long as I replaced the tires. Tires, a rim, alignment, oil change at the price tag of $1750 which was cheaper than a $5800 transfer case.

It'll take me about 3 years to drive 25k more miles. I need to find a local BMW mechanic that can help me when I need it. Last thing I want to do is go back to the dealership. Even after dropping nearly 2 grand I found out a week later when I opened my trunk that the tech never put my front belly pan thing back on.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
@Hypermile, that's a nice looking car - sexy red seats and old-school seat covers! They might be uncomfortable in the summer weather though...

pdh

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2014 BMW 328d, X Drive
I bought a 2014 328d awd about 3 weeks ago. CPO w/37,000 miles.
Great to find this forum. Also have a 2015 Golf TDI which I bought after turning in my 2011 Jetta TDI. I will be reading this forum often.....great job!

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
I think my harmonic balancer is dying on my 35d. Burning smell, "charging malfunction" alert, and loss of power steering.

Patiently waiting for the fluidampr to ship and sidelining my car until it's available. Anybody else had the harmonic balancer fail on their 35d, and if so at what mileage?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I think my harmonic balancer is dying on my 35d. Burning smell, "charging malfunction" alert, and loss of power steering.

Patiently waiting for the fluidampr to ship and sidelining my car until it's available. Anybody else had the harmonic balancer fail on their 35d, and if so at what mileage?

The fluidamper is now released (about 5,000 miles too late for me :(

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=377 Mine failed at 137,500 miles. I had the guibo replaced at the same time, preventatively, since it was getting pretty worn out too.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
I got the same Letter My warranty was extended when I bought the car to 100K
Me too. Extended fuel pump warranty to 10 years, 120,000 miles.

Interesting since my 328d had its fuel pump replaced at 48K miles under the previous owner’s care. I bought the car at 52K miles, and now have almost 80K miles. No issues at all. But I am carefully with the fuel pump and add Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst every tank (like I did with my former 2011 Jetta TDI that was still on its original fuel pump at 240,000+ miles.)

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
gone to the dark side :)
looking to join the society soon. currently in the market for a 2011 335d m sport to replace my 03 alh wagon and will join my e92 m3 in the stable.

where are people finding their 335d's? i've been trolling autotrader but can't seem to get a seller to email me back and no one posts phone numbers. i prefer not buy from a dealer if possible.

justin

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I drove my 335d today a little more than usual. It's a pretty remarkable car. I generally don't like automatics, but this one performs really well. I think 500 lb/ft. helps. If you want to accelerate briskly from, say, 60 MPH there's no need for the transmission to downshift. The car just goes. And I've yet to get a tank below 30 MPG.

I've been slow to warm up to this car because (a) I've been driving VWs pratically forever; (b) I feel like the car's a bit more status-conscious than I am; and (c) I do love driving manual transmission cars. IBW is still my daily driver, but the 335d is a great weekend car. And once I get a compact spare so something other than the full size spare will fit in the trunk, I look forward to taking it on a road trip.

Buy one, Justin, I think you'll love it. And have Jeff tune it once you get it, you'll love it more. I'll be interested in your impressions of how the 335d's power delivery compares to your M.

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the review peter. i was very impressed with the numbers posted on the idparts blog regarding your tune. i'm sure 500 lb/ft helps! ;)

jason, i'm looking to avoid a dealer, if possible. i corrected my post, sorry for that. i'd prefer not to buy a car sight unseen (in person) but i have a feeling that i may need to do that if i really want to find an m sport.

if anyone has a lead, please let me know!

justin

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I've been slow to warm up to this car because (a) I've been driving VWs pratically forever; (b) I feel like the car's a bit more status-conscious than I am; and (c) I do love driving manual transmission cars. IBW is still my daily driver, but the 335d is a great weekend car. And once I get a compact spare so something other than the full size spare will fit in the trunk, I look forward to taking it on a road trip.
Exact same thought process over here, I've mostly owned MK1/2s with TDs or gas motors so even the mk4 PD wagon feels very new to me. I'm a little backwards and find driving a stock Mk6 harder than a race clutch mk2/3. You're making a bit more than 500lb-ft though ;) Ours put down 400lb-ft stock, LS3 with cams and long tubes put down 420 and CR 140 with deletes just touches 300. Largest area under the curve with an aggressive tune was 200lb-ft to the wheels over stock and consistently 150 or so on the big turbo. Had a 2012 135I in for comparisons sake with 25k miles on it, it put down 230WHP/250wtq. Barely more than the IS12 1.8Ts with a downpipe and tune.

Incredible car, the transmission tune goes a long way too.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The biggest problem I have with the BMW (or the GSW, or the Mercedes...) is that I still look forward to getting in IBW in the morning. It has my favorite turbo/IP/injectors/breathing/tune/suspension setup, and despite using the power and often running at 80+ on the highway, I filled it this morning after a 750 mile tank and got 47 MPG. It's hard to ignore that. It's kind of loud and has a few rattles but it still drives great. Right now I'm committed to getting it to 400K miles before I decide what to do with it. That is probably a couple years off.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I've only got 330k km on mine (205k miles) but around Vancouver it's not that common to see beaters. I see about as many Mercedes, BMWs and Lexus as I do MK4s and more lambos than mk1s. I'm determined to crack at least 500k km on this one, people are always amazed when I tell them the mileage nonchalantly and I get a lot of "should I tune my car? it has 120k miles on it"

yeah, that's a good break in period.

Hopefully the bimmers prove similar reliability. Suspension needed a refresh by 100k miles, the ohlins are incredible and it feels like the car could have come with them. Running over 30 PSI with 120WHP/L with constant abuse probably won't help, doing rod bolts and valve springs with colt cams for peace of mind though. Mechanically they're brilliant and the turbos will take some serious abuse.

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
The biggest problem I have with the BMW (or the GSW, or the Mercedes...) is that I still look forward to getting in IBW in the morning. It has my favorite turbo/IP/injectors/breathing/tune/suspension setup, and despite using the power and often running at 80+ on the highway, I filled it this morning after a 750 mile tank and got 47 MPG. It's hard to ignore that. It's kind of loud and has a few rattles but it still drives great. Right now I'm committed to getting it to 400K miles before I decide what to do with it. That is probably a couple years off.
funny, i used to look forward to driving my wagon each day but recently i realized how much i enjoy the cabin of my m3. granted, it has a very firm ride, but that aside, the cabin is amazing. i've decided i want that comfort every day and the increased hp/tq and handling of the 335d will only be a plus.

justin

pdh

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2014 BMW 328d, X Drive
New To This Forum

Been a VW TDI owner since 2006 (2 Jettas & now a "new" 2015 Golf).
Found a dealer CPO 2014 BMW 328d w/X Drive for my wife 3 weeks ago....
WOW, 39 mpg. I am in love with diesels and really happy to find this Forum in
"the Club". I have followed this site since 2007 and find it fascinating & really helpful. Thanks every one for your posts & experiences.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
No nav is a good thing. Prone to failure on these cars, and HVAC is disabled if it does fail. Unit is $3K. Then there's install.