Noisy TDI?

Kid Genius

I am wondering if anyone experiences the same noisiness as I do. My TDI PD 100hp is relatively quiet after start up. But after hard acceleration or running the engine at 75mph for a while the noise level increases substantially similar to a diesel truck idling. It is more prevalent if I slowly accelerate when RPM is at about 1000 until I hit a certain point and the deep rumble of the the diesel kicks in. I don't think it is the diesel fuel itself because I've tried numerous stations and still the same.

Do you think the noise is normal? or is it my engine? or perhaps my oil.

Thanks.

cconrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
PD noise

Mine on a cold day is a little louder at startup, I also get a slow knocking on really cold days that varies with throttle, but it goes away after a couple minutes. Perhaps you may have an exhaust leak ? The heat expands a weak joint ??

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
My friend, I just posted this last week. I have been having this same problem with mine with the same motor. After Im all warmed up, when the car is at lower rpm's, the motor is louder, almost as if somethign is loose and vibrating. After sitting idle for 2 minutes or less, it goes quiet again, and I cant reporduce the sounds untill after i start driving again.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine only started 3 weeks ago at about 90k. It sounds like a gurgle/rumble. It resonates and matches teh sound of the motor. To me, it means its feading off something. Normally I would think it was a exhaust leak.

Kid Genius

TDIMaxima,

Sorry for duplicating your post. Mine is 2 months old-7000K. After an oil change, it sounds better for 2 days, but quickly returns back to the old sound. I have not tried to idle for 2 mins again.

I am almost sure it is not a leak in the exhaust. My noise sounds like it is coming from the cylinders. You really hear the chugging like a diesel truck.

The wierd thing is I don't get it when the engine is cold. Perhaps because the oil is cold too and thicker?

skippytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jet-ta
Kid Genius said:
the deep rumble of the the diesel kicks in.
Whats the problem?;)

I have tried some of engine output tests and when the Vag-com does its EGR cycling tests there is definetely a HUGE clatter difference. Whether there is more clatter with the EGR cycling or not i cannot remember, but i would have to agree with sooch in that it may be the EGR.
I don't know the ECU's programming logic but i would say that after a high speed run the engine would be more capable of dealing with EGR flow at idle than, for example, right after startup.
I am making that up though, it may be right or wrong.
MP

Last edited:

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No need to apologise. Its simple mine, during RPM increase between 1-2k, i get a vibration rumble sound. If i run 2nd gear to 2k, then let off, it makes a rythmic rouble, almost pulsates. Then when i rev it , its louder. once it cools off, it goes away untill i start driving again.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
TDIMAXIMA,
I think the issue I'm having is the same as yours. When fully warmed up my engine makes this oscillating type of noise - sort of a "wuh-wuh-wuh" sound. If I tap on the pedal to just over about 1,200 RPMs, it goes away. I've also wondered if it was the EGR causing this somehow, or maybe an exhaust leak somewhere.....

Have you cleaned out the EGR valve itself? I haven't yet but wonder if maybe it's sticking or something.

Let me know if you find a cure ;-)

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
both our cars are setup the same. 1200 rpms, sounds liek a leak. if the rpms drop from 2k and down, i hear a rythmic pulse like the sound is going on and off, on and off. between 1st and third gear, i can hear it up to 2k. Highway, nothing. If teh car is cold, or sits idle for 2 minutes, or even less, teh sound goes away untill i drive again. never cleaned EGR. 100K.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Just to confirm - mine does this once warmed up at idle, and up to about 1,200 rpms. Above that it's gone. It's kind of a warble or rythmic rouble (like you describe). Mine has done this since about 10,000 miles. I'm a little over 45,000 miles now.

Maybe this weekend I'll get under it with a mechanics stethoscope, and poke around near the exhaust/engine area. I'd love to be able to figure it out, and stop it.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its definately harder to hear when you wind it up. So, you actually here it at idle. Unless im used to it, I dont hear it at idle. Confiirm this. After it cools for a couple of minutes, does it stop?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
I know the sound. never heard it when the car was new, after 60K now, I can hear something similar after a long high speed run. I suspect it comes from the bellhousing though, may be flywheel is getting out of balance?
If push the clutch in , it varies and sometimes it's not there.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
TDIMAXIMA,
After the engine is turned off - then back on again after a minute or so - the warble sound is gone for the most part. It only comes back after driving it again.

If you try to isolate the noise what side does it seem to come from?

With the hood open on mine - it seems to come a little toward the passenger side. With the hood closed it seems to come from about middle or driver side.

Strange thing is, I can sometimes hear it ressonnating from underneath and behind the car also - which leads me to believe maybe it's an exhaust leak or something.

Strange. Otherwise it runs great.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Middle. I dont think flywheel, because I can make the sound when i flutter the gas with the car in neutral. I never tried shutting it off, then back on after a heated run. However, mine goes away very quickly after i settle down. as for teh back, i have a rattle there already.

BORA115TDI

TDI
TDI115/2000/SILVER
Thats the N18, the valve that controls the egr.Switch the valve and you will all notice improvment.
The noise disapears after 2 minutes of idlle because the egr turns off automaticaly after 2 min of idlle.
It also happens in cold situations, when you start the car you can hear the sound like old diesels....Grr Grr Grr.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BORA, I never hear it when cold. Yes I hear the GRR GRR, but I also I hear a rattle. When I lower rpms, it rattles/vibrates. When I rev in neutral, its more of a grrr. I assume it has somethign to do with the load. Why can the n18 make that sound?

BORA115TDI

TDI
TDI115/2000/SILVER
Because 2 of my friends were experiencing similar problems that gone away with the replacement of the N18.

You can try to swap the N18 for the N75 they work alike, if you notice improvement then its the N18 that is bad.

Its a easy solution, and it wont cost you nothing to try it out.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Bora115,
The N18 you say? Hmmmm.... I may investigate that. I'll go to the stealer today at lunch and see how expensive the thing is. I may end up cleaning the EGR valve and doing an N18 swap this weekend. If anything, I'll at least try the N18 theory.

BORA115TDI

TDI
TDI115/2000/SILVER
As i said you can try it out for free because you have 2 similar valves.
Its worth the try.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Wait - North American PD TDIs have EGR Valves that are electrically controlled - the valve itself is anyway. There is however a vacuum controlled valve right by the EGR Cooler on the right of the EGR valve Assembly.

Is that the N18 on a PD?

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
n18 is a generic term i assume. I have no clue, im tryign to do some research. it seems realistic that a sticky egr could gause some extra grunt if teh valve is not closed or opened properly.

BORA115TDI

TDI
TDI115/2000/SILVER
The n18 is next to the n75 at leat at my car , just folow the tube from the egr to the valve (n18).

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
TDIMAXIMA,
The part number for this valve at Impex is 210359 and it's $60US. In the North American ALH TDIs, the N75 and N18 are very much alike and maybe switchable like Bora 115 says.

I took a look last night on my BEW PD, and the two valves are different. The N75 (for the Turbo) looks different than it did on my 2000 ALH Golf.

Next to it, toward the passenger side is this other valve which I believe to be the part number above, and it's called a pressure converter valve.

I can't find the valve in my Bently manual but on a picture I've seen from a Bently CD, the part may be called the EGR Valve N345 - not sure though. It has a vacuum line going to a valve to the right of the EGR cooler, and maybe another one going to the anti-shudder valve.

I removed the EGR electrical plug while at idle and the engine seemed to sound a little different. The noise may also have stopped but I'm not completely sure as it was getting dark and I didn't want to mess with it after sundown. If you try this you'll get a check engine light that probably won't go out until you clear it with VagCom.

This valve I'm speaking of was a little dirty and I'm wondering if it might be sticking a little bit. I keep the engine very clean but had missed the area by the firewall.

Last edited:

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
im goign to look for it. I hope it is somewhere in the engine bay that I can work on. I have a question. If the valve controls the opening and closing, is it possible teh valve is fine and maybe its somethign else sticking?