Chapin, SC GTG Jan 30, 2010

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
mrchaotica said:
Given the fact that my car isn't 100% (how risky is it to drive with possibly-starting-to-fail CV joint?), I'm not sure I'll be going after all. However, I ordered a set of engine mounts from Peter to be delivered to the GTG. If I don't go, is there someone else from Atlanta who could bring them back for me?
CV joints have to be really bad for a long time (years) to fail. If you just have some clicking while turning you should be alright. Most people with old cars never seem to fix their cv joints.

Dankcorey22

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 ALH & 83 1.6 TD CY
Guys im gonna try to come still but if it gets too bad i think i have to stay at the house for this one, if it looks okay ill leave around 3 tonight maybe ill get there around 7 with the weather like this.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Sorry Bruce, that really stinks!
I've tried calling Dan a couple times, was going to show up incognito--been moving in this week but decided 48 hours ago to get a last minute flight. I'm now boarding my connection in Houston, I have a few emergency parts with me too, but mostly coming to mingle.
See you all tomorrow!
-BB

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
BleachedBora said:
I've tried calling Dan a couple times, was going to show up incognito--been moving in this week but decided 48 hours ago to get a last minute flight. I'm now boarding my connection in Houston, I have a few emergency parts with me too, but mostly coming to mingle.
See you all tomorrow!
-BB
Dang, wish I had known you were coming Aaron. I'd have pushed plans to make it down there :(. Oh well, there is always next time

paramedick said:
<Snip>
Awakened this morning at 0358 by a car fire run. In my neighborhood, next street over. As we were turning into the neighborhood admiring the nice glow in the sky, dispatch corrected the address, giving MY ADDRESS!!!!
</snip>
Bruce
I believe I speak for a lot of people when I say this... I have only met a handful of people as nice and willing to help as Bruce, and to see something such as this happen to such an upstanding individual is upsetting. I'm glad none of your family were harmed by this, assets can be replaced -- family can not.

Last edited:

NewbeeMC9

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 6-speed
BleachedBora said:
See you all tomorrow!
-BB
Will you be bringing rear akebono pads?

Hpoe you catch the ^%$^&$% that torched your car paramedik.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
We had a good talk tonight, but no one filmed it, ate pizza, New ball joints and rear bushings for the lower control arms, VCDS brake flush on dieselfueler's 2004 Jetta Wagen.

TurbineWhine, Eurojulien, TerryTDI, redjetj, abakos, mkIInut, Mark S, dieselfueler, didjettarun, Zeb, NCRoadWarrior, and I am sure I am forgetting a few all had a good visit.

If anyone wishes, I can email the powerpoint presentation.

The folks that got here early helped spread some gravel in preparation for tomorrow.

Doors open at 7am.

Watch that weather! Drive defensively.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I may be out. Depends on weather. Currently snowing in the upstate.

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
Thanks to Dan again for putting this on. Last night was solid. Learned things about VCDS I'd never even played with.

Just raining in Columbia...map makes it look like rain south of spartanburg.

Still not sure how I'm going to get home to Knoxville later today, but I'll hash that out later :) See you guys momentarily!

sesalz

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2005 Passat Wagon
I've really been looking forward to my first TDI GTG, but I'm afraid we won't be able to make it. The roads are bad up here and the forecast isn't looking any better. Seven inches of snow on the top of the TDIs! Snow and little ice balls falling now. Hope its better down Chapin way and everyone arrives and gets back home safely.

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
Nicolia and I are leaving for the GTG now (better late than never!). Please note that we're bringing a whole bunch of homemade mac & cheese, so save some room for it!

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
sorry guys, I've been busy and forgot to let ya'll know that I wouldn't be making this event. We had a last minute surprise birthday party for Matt's mom tonight. Trust me, I really wanted to come (though I really didn't have anything needed to be done, nor the parts to do it if I did), but birthdays kinda trump GTG's. :(

Hope ya'll are having fun! It's kinda nasty here in Atlanta, hoping it stays dry for you guys up there! :D

D

dlm308rem

Today

lot's of snow in Pilot Mountain, NC today 10inches maybe 11. it is pretty. the ford ranger 4x4 likes to go in the snow. my nissan friend drove my vw home from the accident site last night, he said it is pulling hard to the right, that does not sound good. trunk is sprung, rear door pass. side is out of alignment, sounds worse by the minute.

hope you all r having fun.

eat more chicken, said the pig.

dan

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The trees filled with ice as the day progressed. One tree fell over the road in front of the house.

The fire barrel got a real workout.

Lots of good people made it here, and lots of other good people did not. We missed you.

The high for the day was about 34 degrees, just before dawn. We had light rain, drizzle and snow flurries just about all day.

We had a some truly outstanding NC barbecue from the pig that Wade (engineerorange) and his brother? cooked for us.

Jeff of Rocketchip worked hard all day long, as did several others.

Dieselfueler has to be the MVP of the day, but Piper109 must get honorable mention. Julien was extremely helpful to many.

Landon was suffering from a bad shoulder, but managed to soldier on.

We missed DidJettaRun's help, as well as Paramedick's - both Bruce's had to miss the show.

The last guest left about 9 pm, so we got to wrap up early.

There were many other people who contributed to today's GTG. Thanks to all of them, and please come again.

We will do even better next time.

Now for bed.

sullyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
MichelleRoze said:
sorry guys, I've been busy and forgot to let ya'll know that I wouldn't be making this event. We had a last minute surprise birthday party for Matt's mom tonight. Trust me, I really wanted to come (though I really didn't have anything needed to be done, nor the parts to do it if I did), but birthdays kinda trump GTG's. :(

Hope ya'll are having fun! It's kinda nasty here in Atlanta, hoping it stays dry for you guys up there! :D
Missed ya!

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Home in one piece .

Dan,your wonderful wife, and Zeb, thank you all for the awsome hospitality,as usual great GTG. I was suprised by the amount of people that did come.
Lots of thanks to Wade "engineerorange", and his brother, very tasty pig.
Landon I wish you well with your shoulder.
Jeff thanks for coming down, it's always neat to see the stuck on smiles people have after being chipped.
Thank you everybody ,I had a great time,and learned a bunch. :D

Last edited:

NewbeeMC9

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 6-speed
Glad y'all had fun!!

Hate I missed the fun, fellowship, and the pig:(

I tried to sled here since we live on a hill that I have wanted to sled on since we moved here 3 years ago. Chances are rare. I made one run and then for the first time in the history of the neighborhood(60's) they scraped the road:mad:

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
NewbeeMC9 said:
Glad y'all had fun!!

Hate I missed the fun, fellowship, and the pig:(

I tried to sled here since we live on a hill that I have wanted to sled on since we moved here 3 years ago. Chances are rare. I made one run and then for the first time in the history of the neighborhood(60's) they scraped the road:mad:
Just got home...Knoxville is a sheet of ice. Glad I went through Atlanta...damn this was a crazy drive. Just missed a 20 car pile up south of Knoxville on the way in (heard about it when I was just west of Augusta...cleared just before I came through).

Passed another car near Chattanooga that was on its roof right after a "shiny" bridge and had a couple close calls myself. The last mile was the hardest...local road all solid ICE. Watched the car in front of me try to get up a small hill and they just slid back down and gave up. I was able to make it up on the first try :eek:

Thanks to all for a good time down south- Glad that my BRM Cam is in good shape at a 100k. I'm considering myself one of the lucky ones. Looking forward to seeing you all again, and hopefully under better circumstances!

Aaron

Also, interesting factoid, if your biodiesel container shifts a little and is leaning against something...not tipped over but just tilted a little, it'll leak and give all your luggage and tools a nice "essence of biodiesel" treatment. Check your caps ladies and gents!

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
Thanks for the hospitality, good cooking, good company and vw know-how.

I made it down to Charleston for a very enjoyable evening and back home to Columbia without a problem.

Best Regards.

Uberdiesel

redjetj

TDI
2000 jetta 2004jetta wagon
Sainthood

Dan, you and your wife have to be saints to put up with about 60 people tracking who knows what between your two garages and kitchen table. Thank you so very much for the special attention my pd jetta code named 997c got. I am still not sure if that was good news or bad from Jeff. I feel fortunate to be involved with a bunch a people that look over your shoulder and help you out. By the way i am a bbq snob and that pig was spot on, great stuff. Thanks to all

parkair

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 silver
Guys it was great meeting all of you. Thanks for the hospitality. Big thanks to Landon and Terry for the injector help. I made home with no problems and seemingly no loss of oil from the turbo. (?) Aaron got stuck overnite in Charlotte. hopefully he will make it home today.

See you all in the summer. Sunny and dry next time!!!

Mike

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
Home again in Asheville safe and sound. Naturally, my driveway was still a mess but I made it up it.

Dan, Debbie & Zeb, thank you for all your planning, hard work and hospitality. Sorry I was approaching useless this time. Shoulder is improving and I should be fine in a few more days.

Good to see everyone again and to meet some new TDI fans. Looking forward to the next one, which might actually be here in Asheville.

Landon