EGR blocked need to tune for CEL

mhintlian

TDI
03 Golf GLS
I am planning to block the EGR from the exhaust on my 03 ALH TDI and am curious about the tuning needed when doing this. I have Ross Tech software can this do the tuning needed for blocking off the EGR and if so what are the settings for this? All replies are greatly appreciated.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
No, I don't think so. The tuner will make it go away altogether, which is what you want.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I have Ross Tech software can this do the tuning needed for blocking off the EGR
No, by "tuner" the poster above is referring to a vendor who sells "tunes"; software modifications to your engine ECU's firmware that are generally bought to increase performance but can also be purchased to defeat the monitoring of various systems, like the EGR.

Malone, Kerma, and Rocketchip are all well-known tune vendors here, and they also rent/sell the hardware that plugs into your OBD2 port to transfer the software update to your ECU.

Without this step you will have a permanent Check Engine Light, should you make any modifications to the EGR system.

VCDS is a tool designed to modify parameters that VW provides generic access to; defeating the EGR monitoring system is not one of them. :) On your particular engine it is possible to use VCDS to lower the activity of the EGR cycle, but not to turn it off completely.

Last edited:

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
I have deleted the egr on my 2005 tdi, it throws a cel every time I drive it. A tune will remove it completely