Wagon hatch latch problem

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
My 2003 Jetta wagon has a problem with the door ajar light being on all the time in the instrument cluster. The alarm doesn't chirp when I arm it. I looked at the measuring blocks in VCDS and it says the rear hatch is open when in fact it is closed. All door locks are fine. The weird thing is that when I open the hatch the courtesy light in the rear area comes on, so there a switch in the hatch lock that is working.

Is there more than one switch in the hatch latch that indicates that the hatch is open?

Can I just cross two wires together so the alarm thinks the hatch is always closed?

The new part number is 1J9827505B41. It is $95, so I would rather not spend that.

I examined the two sets of wires that feed into the hatch and they all looked fine.

Thanks!

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been looking online for a howto on replacing the hatch lock on the wagon and all I can find are howtos on replacing the actuator on the golf. Anyone have a link to a howto?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I don't have a how to, but if you pull the plastic cover off, it's right there. Super easy.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
There a single screw in each pocket of the plastic trim then it's just clips. Only a couple of bolts hold the latch.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
I just removed the hatch lock and it is two Phillip screws (in the indents in the cover) and a bunch of clips. The plastic holding the clips in broke on several of them when I removed the cover. The hatch lock is held on by two M8 triple square bolts. There are three wires to the hatch lock. I assume two of them are negative and positive and the 3rd is a sensor to detect whether the hatch is open or not. So the answer to my question above is that there is only *one* wire to detect whether the hatch is open or closed. My problem must lie elsewhere, since the hatch light turns on when I open the hatch.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
Page #97-411 on the Bentley manual seems to have the hatch switch on it. Two of the wires are indeed power while the switch wire goes directly to the hatch light which goes to "145". Who knows what "145" is? The wire coming off the hatch switch should be brown and blue. Once it hits the hatch light the wire should be blue and red. Now I need to figure out where the blue/red wire goes to.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I think it's 2 separate switches inside it with the 2 sharing a ground wire.
The other 2 go to the CCM to control the lights.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
How does the hatch lock get power to unlock and lock if there are two switch wires?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
From CCM pin 18.
The 2 switch wires also go to the CCM.
CCM is behind the left side of the dash.

Try unplugging the connector on the back of the car.
See if the dash light goes out.
If so it's the brown/black wire.
If not scan for codes again with the plug out.

Are you starting to love computers in the cars? :)

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
Not really. The rear hatch sensor started working all of a sudden this morning. :) Maybe from me taking out the hatch lock the day before. I hope it keeps working. I have had this wagon for over a year and the alarm has *never* beeped when armed, but now it does!!!

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
The hatch lock has been a little intermittent. I sprayed a bunch of contact cleaner on it and it seems to be working for now.