WTB ALH Jetta Wagon

MorganR

TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan Reflex Silver
Trying to see what is out there. I am looking for a alh Jetta Wagon. Engine and transmission I really don't care about condition or what it is. I am mainly looking for a good body. Looking to spend less than 2000$

I am located in North Carolina but don't mind a 5-6 hour drive to get it.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Trying to see what is out there. I am looking for a alh Jetta Wagon.
Who isn't? :D If a clean body is your primary objective and your budget is that limited I'd suggest you look for a clean 2.slow automatic wagon and swap in an ALH. You could probably find a good gasser with a blown transmission for $2K, but it would cost that much again, most likely, to bring the running gear up to snuff and swap in a TDI. Still, if you're willing to do the work it might be an option.

MorganR

TDI
Who isn't? :D If a clean body is your primary objective and your budget is that limited I'd suggest you look for a clean 2.slow automatic wagon and swap in an ALH.
To be honest I would not mind a gas car. I like a challenge. My main objective is to replace my Wagon that a tree fell on last winter. So getting all the running gear together is not a problem. I do all of my own work so that's not an issue either.

Last edited:

DIESELMAN3500

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI,2006 vw tdi jetta,2003 vw beetle,2003 vw golf
PM sent.
I have something you might be interested in. Or anyone else looking for a clean body with transplant parts
John

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Funny thing is, it seems most of the A4 Jetta wagons sold here were diesels. I hardly ever have seen one with a 2.0L, and only ever saw ONE with a VR6 badge on the gate.

LOTS of ALH and BEW wagons, though. I have a 2005 here today with 415k miles on it. :)

MorganR

TDI
I think I might have found the one I am going to buy. It's an 2003 ALH Silver Wagon that tossed a timing belt off. If any of you have any tips on things to look for when i go to look at it that would be great. I know my way around the driveline pretty well but the body and other things like that not so much.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, if the timing belt was allowed to tooef, it probably has piles of other neglect. Almost too lengthy to list, LOL.

But I will try and hit the highlights:

cooling fans

alt pulley

control arm bushings

HVAC vent foam

door latches

Chaxles

parking brake cables

MorganR

TDI
Well, if the timing belt was allowed to tooef, it probably has piles of other neglect. Almost too lengthy to list, LOL.
That's something I did not think about Oilhammer. I do have a parts car that has pretty much everything in very good condition except the body. So if something is worn out I do have spares.

How about the body itself?
Common rust spots?
Anything along those lines?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Night time photos? Really? Makes me wonder what they're hiding. But even if the body is straight and rust-free, "pretty good shape for a 16 year old car" is a flag. Looks like it needs front seats, headliner, maybe some other interior stuff. Suspension and control arm (and possibly rear axle) bushings, tires (I bet), probably brakes. Clutch should be OK for a while unless it wasn't driven properly. Odds are the original timing belt was never replaced. Like oilhammer said, wonder what else they skipped.

Those are my guesses based on what these cars usually need. Of course this one may be different. But I'm betting not.

MorganR

TDI
Yeah, I had seen the one in Nashville before. The night time photos worried me a little to much and I got no response when I asked for more pictures in the day

torman

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Golf and Treg
Everyone wants cheap and agreed, some of the "cheaper" TDIs can definitely have a lot of potential for deferred maintenance and neglect (some known and many unknown). I would rather pay a little more for documented history of care, else you can eat up and exceed any potential savings by going cheap (unless you do most of the work yourself). Not always the case, but more often than not.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Night time photos? Really? Makes me wonder what they're hiding. But even if the body is straight and rust-free, "pretty good shape for a 16 year old car" is a flag. Looks like it needs front seats, headliner, maybe some other interior stuff. Suspension and control arm (and possibly rear axle) bushings, tires (I bet), probably brakes. Clutch should be OK for a while unless it wasn't driven properly. Odds are the original timing belt was never replaced. Like oilhammer said, wonder what else they skipped.

Those are my guesses based on what these cars usually need. Of course this one may be different. But I'm betting not.
Agree with you on everything you said and thats why its negotiable. With all the issues maybe $1500 would be top pay for it. Timing belt receipt would be plus if it was ever done LOL. The only good thing this car has is somewhat low mileage however I would double check it.

amalk45

TDI
mk4 wagon alh/5spd
wagon available in Marion NC

Trying to see what is out there. I am looking for a alh Jetta Wagon. Engine and transmission I really don't care about condition or what it is. I am mainly looking for a good body. Looking to spend less than 2000$
I am located in North Carolina but don't mind a 5-6 hour drive to get it.
Thanks
03 torch red, no sunroof,alh,5 speed

MorganR

TDI
Just bought a wagon this last weekend. Thanks for everyone who helped me find one.