What did you do to your car today?

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
Those blue and yellow plates are pretty neat too. Too bad there weren't enough orders to make those too, but I guess that makes yours more exclusive. :D

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Replaced the rear brakes, one slider was stuck, broke the damn thing off trying to get it free. Off to the wrecker for a new carrier I suppose.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Changed the oil on the wagon. Added a half-bottle of ZDDP to keep the new head/camshaft all nice and happy.
Even though the car "lost" less than 1L of oil in the 13000km since the last oil change, there's a fair bit of oil on the outside of the intercooler. Maybe a bad hose connection? Micro-cracks in the intercooler?

smopoim86

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 11 Sportwagen
Changed the oil on the wagon. Added a half-bottle of ZDDP to keep the new head/camshaft all nice and happy.
Even though the car "lost" less than 1L of oil in the 13000km since the last oil change, there's a fair bit of oil on the outside of the intercooler. Maybe a bad hose connection? Micro-cracks in the intercooler?
Look where the front air shroud attaches. Mine rubbed some small holes in a couple of the core tubes.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
I have a few of the factory VW solar chargers. Wouldn't they have been the cheaper alternative ?

I wasn't even aware of their existence. Then after doing some research I decided I wanted to incorporate the de-sulphating technology. I also like that the mono crystal silicone power and efficiency ratings are so high.

How many watts is the VW version?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7

dmoonen

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta 1.9L TDI, 00 Jetta Alh and several others.
I HAVE AC! Changed the AC clutch and blows ice cold. Removed the alternator and drained down the coolant and removed the center coolant pipe to give some extra room for the compressor lines and suspended the compressor with zipties and a bar. . all in took about 2 hours with never doing it before.
Prepped the 05 wagon for a cross country trek
  • Coolant flush and replaced with VW fluid
  • Replaced the battery
  • Changed the oil and filter with lubro moly 5w40
  • Flushed the break fluid
  • Changed the coolant bulb, fitting on the side was cracked
  • Changed AC clutch
  • Changed power steering fluid
  • Rotated the tires
  • Checked the breaks and bearings for play
  • Changed the cabin filter
  • Detailed the interior and exterior
  • Tested the lift pump-all good
  • Loaded the bike racks up
  • Cross bars and thule cargo box on

Ready to go! :cool:

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
Did quite a bit on the Golf over the past few days. I scored a set of spindles, calipers, carriers, etc off of a 1.8T Jetta at the salvage yard. Last Saturday I pressed in new OEM wheel bearings into the hubs and installed everything including the junkyard pads and rotors on Saturday since my new pads and rotors weren't in yet. Monday I drove out to Andrew Rodriguez's (fixmyvw.com) shop to pick up the pads and rotors and got them installed last night. I installed Fremax 288mm rotors and PowerStop Z26 Carbon/Ceramic Pads (http://www.fixmyvw.com/1-8t-vr6-288mm-z26-extreme-performance-carbon-ceramic-brake-pads/). This is definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I also flushed my brake fluid, changed my fuel filter, and changed my cabin air filter. Getting ready to take the car on a 750 mile trip up to Ohio to visit family.

ConvergenceFreak

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon GLS w/ 5-speed swap
There's a first time for everything. Now that I live in a place with a driveway and we got a break in the heat and humidity….

Today I changed the oil, replaced the fuel filter, cabin filter and set the proper level of the 01m trans fluid.

I made some noob mistakes, but, thank to this forum, ID parts and YT videos I found my way through them.

This was all to save some $ on the 180k service because the car will go to my TDI guru next week for inspection and I am expecting will need a bit more, that I am not upto doing yet… :rolleyes:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
After learning that most of the shifter mechanism is made of plastic on the transmission I wanted to replace it with all metal parts so I wouldn't ever have to worry about stuff breaking or snapping...

Earlier this week I installed the APR Shift cable bracket. Numbness was still there a bit due to the rubber ends of the shifter & the plastic brackets on the transmission shifing mechanism. It was a subtle change to be honest. However it was something I could feel right away. I could feel going into gear better then before.

Installed the DieselGeek Short shifter kit today and yeah, the hype is real! Shifts are MUCH crisper and throw is reduced ~30%. Shifting feel is just about right now. After driving around a bit shifting through the gears the notchiness of the fore/aft has really smoothed out and seems to continue to smooth out quite a bit.

For anyone looking for a way to improve the robustness of their shifting feel and parts this is likely the best way to do so :cool:

str8t six

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS TDI
replaced the passenger front fender with a junkyard one. mine was rusting through.

i also found a silver trunk too! so i replaced it also. im still trying to get it lined up right. i should have marked where the old hinges were but O well...

i also rotated my tires.

Last edited:

smopoim86

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 11 Sportwagen
Changed my oil yesterday. First time I've changed it from the top. Normally I only use the pump to empty the oil cooler. I've got a lift but a b5.5 Passat is stored on it right now and the tractor under it is torn apart. It probably took about the same amount of time but I'd still prefer to have the pan off to inspect other stuff.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
This kinda counts, I installed a window a/c unit in my garage. It's insulated (the workshop area) already and I had this unit from before I had central air. So now, I can work on cars in the cool air and not sweat to death!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Look where the front air shroud attaches. Mine rubbed some small holes in a couple of the core tubes.
Indeed - that was exactly it!

Two of the most medial tubes had worn through due to the shroud. I put some metal putty on there, trimmed the shroud a bit, let everything set....did a 22psi run and not a blip of oil on the shroud or intercooler. :D

dmoonen

Veteran Member
TDI
Finished the road trip in the 550k+ wagon! Toronto-Alberta and all around SK and back racked up almost 8.3k in 10 days! Averaged 4.9l/100km for the whole trip (from Manitoba to Alberta it's flat as hell) and only blew one light bulb. She deserved a tire rotation, oil change, and air filter change and a good bath.

Also taught my other half to drive a manual . .went well and I'm alive and so is the clutch. . Double bonus.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Over the last days replaced the MAF, vnt actuator and N75 on the Golf. Turbo was dead in the water, now it purrs again.

Also had the ac serviced, so the guy evacuates the system and was going to fill it again he tells me the compressor and fans aren't coming on, I said impossible I just tested it yesterday, he doesn't know what's going on so I took the car home and did some research.

Of coarse its not going to kick in if the pressure is too low, so I went back there today and told him that, he insisted there had to be something wrong and it should switch on even without pressure.
Had enough at that point and got a recharge kit, plugged it in, filled it to 30psi, turned the car on, fans and clutch came on, filled it up and all was well again.

Don't know why I even bothered with an "expert".

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If that twit ever read anyone's procedure, he would have seen that you let 'x' amount of refrigerant into the system and then you turn it on to complete filling. Any auto manufacturer will have that in the instructions.

In this case, the expert is defined as 'ex' is a has-been, and the spurt is just a drip under pressure.

dmoonen

Veteran Member
TDI
Boo yah progress on the 04 Golf's engine! Things boot right along with the engines out of the vehicles :p

• New head installed
  • New pd150 injectors installed
  • 17/22 installed
  • Colt stage 3 cam reinstalled with new hardware
  • SBC Stage 2 Endurance clutch reinstalled with new wear and tear parts (bolts, slave, throwout bearing)
  • New Alternator
  • New AC clutch installed
  • New valve cover seal installed
  • Timing belt kit installed
  • New main seal
  • New oil pan

A couple more bits and she's ready to go back into the car

05 Wagons engine:

• Used VNT17 installed
  • Inspected valve terrain wear. . all good and nothing noticeable!
  • Timing belt kit installed
  • New main seals
Contemplating on doing a 5 or 6 speed swap while the engines out. . the 09a is nice for the winter though. . .decisions decisions :confused:

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
This is what can happen to your tires on the pot hole strewn streets of Montreal :eek:

Good thing I did not bend the rim, so, I had a set of these installed today as well as had an alignment, which was knocked way off on front drivers. Needless to say next time I have to go to Montreal, I'll take the Truck :rolleyes:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Pulled the defective (read never worked) Viair compressor out of my wheel well. Darn thing only made 60 psi at 13 volts with only a gauge Plumed to the output. Disappointing since as far as I know that's the best brand.

Also got a little more air out of my rear brakes on a steep driveway. I'm not certain that it is all out, but I'm calling it good.

Replaced an E-brake cable that was crushed.

Worked a little on my auto folding, memory, heated, and aspherical auto dimming side mirror project. I'm confident it will work now, but I've got a way to
Go.