Another CCV mod question

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
I didnt want to Hijack WINGNUT's thread, so I will start this one. I am searching, and searching for how I want to do my CCV mod. I loved Wingnuts Idea. totally awesome. Here is my question. is there a way to use the CAT fuel filter that we use on our TDI's for a CCV filter?? I was searching the internet and found this:
http://www.nicktane.com/filter.htm
Now that was a great idea... If we could use the same Fuel filter as our CCV filter, that is killing two birds there, no searching for separate filters, just the same filters for everything. Ill ask Greg to see if it is possible.
any thoughts on that one??

Eric B.

Last edited:

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Nope. Fuel filter for fuel.

CCV requires a vapor recovery kinda thing. something that will allow the oil vapor to recondense and flow back into the engine. Which is why you could get by with a stainless steel scrub pad if you wanted to.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
NO, I think it would work. bad air in the inlet, filtered air out the outlet. Wingnuts mod uses an air or oil filter, same principle applies. so it should work.
And doing much more research, I have more questions about the filter element. which can be used? Fule filter, or Oil filter, does it matter. I am not worried about the water issue. that has been beaten to death on every other post. there is water, it will be there, and it will sit there. I believe it is not that big of an issue, but the filtering is the big issue. is there any pros or cons to using an oil filter over a fuel filter or vice-versa? I have been looking at many automotive sites and they have similar products to Wingnuts #3 mod. even looking into a dual filter? hmm overkill.... but that raises the filter type?

Fuel or Oil??

Eric B.

Last edited:

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
Wingnut went with the hydraulic filter because of concerns with water vapor freezing and completely blocking the filter. He experienced the freezing with his first design and possibly with the second. You don't want the pressure build up the freezing would cause.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
what if freezing is not a concern though, I do live on the Gulf Coast. it never really gets that cold. as for too fine a filtration, since the flow isn't all that much( I think anyway) and the particles it is stopping are big and the oil would condense and roll to the bottom and take the particles with it? I dont know, I am asking.
And as for the Haudraulic filter, what type of medium does it have that is better that a fuel filter, cause in reality, a fuel filter is a hydraulic filter too. not trying to be too much of a Smarta$$ there but what is the difference in filters then? flow rate, particle filtration, filter medium? I am trying to look all this up as I would like to get it done with a good setup. without going overboard on the wallet. I was looking over at Jegs and other car stores online. and oil filter and fuel filter heads can be gotten for pretty cheap(like Wingnuts filter head) and trying to determine which filter is better for this application is the goal.

Eric B.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

Veteran Member
TDI
ibiza.130/skoda Octy4x4
I wouldn't get too hung up on pore size, my home made job clears the same quantity of oil as the profesional German job, it has baffles with 1/8" holes and works very well with no chance of overpresurising. Small holes = resistance

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta TDI DSG , 2011 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI,2008 duramax k3500,2022 Duramax 2500, 92 Kenworth T800, numerous John Deere's
I used to own a NAPA store. You can go there and ask to look at their filter book. It shows the different Micron ratings and mountings. There are probably several spin on filters ( that mount the same) that would have different micron ratings. I would think some would be too fine for this application. All filters are not equal. The paper in a Napa Gold are made to filter more precise than the cheaper lines ( even Napa's cheaper line).