Hairdryer dent removal

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
Unfortunately the person who put that vid together doesn't speak english as a first language, although I'm pretty sure that the idea they were trying to convey is that it doesn't ruin paint. That being said, there's not too much that's sure as far as dent removal and paint damage are concerned. The only thing you can do is to try, but you're taking a chance any which way you go about it.

bruzer_boy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I do Paintless Dent Repair for a living. This process that they are using will work, but only on a small percentage of dents. And the chances of the dent comming out flawless are very slim. The car that they were doing it on has very thin sheet metal to begin with. Any dent that this process will work on could be poped out with your hand if you could get behind it. I just dont' want people to get the wrong idea and start taking hair dryers and co2 to their cars for nothing. Its probably best if you just take the car to someone who knows what they are doing. But if you must try, good luck. And no, it wont hurt the paint.

SmokinTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Any electronic store or even wal-mart, target, ect....... They are dusters for like keyboards

stancho

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
SmokinTDI said:
Any electronic store or even wal-mart, target, ect....... They are dusters for like keyboards
I thought those are just compressed air. Will a can from Walmart cause ice to form on the car? I doubt it.

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
stancho said:
I thought those are just compressed air. Will a can from Walmart cause ice to form on the car? I doubt it.
The can is compressed liquid co2. If it was just air you would have something like a 15 second spray time. If your not sure, read the can. They all tell you to spray only short amounts of time to avoid cooling of the can. This is the co2 evaporating.

Creekswirl

TDI
2000 Jetta
stancho said:
If you spray with the can upside down, ice will definitely form on the car. I've used those "air duster" cans for years in the office to sneak freeze attack unsuspecting co-workers.:D

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
bugablue said:
The can is compressed liquid co2. If it was just air you would have something like a 15 second spray time. If your not sure, read the can. They all tell you to spray only short amounts of time to avoid cooling of the can. This is the co2 evaporating.
You might want to check on it... I have a can of Fellowes Air Duster for my keyboard and it contains Dimethyl Ether (5-10%) and Tetrafluroethane (the propellant)... not much air in the Duster! It's flammable.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Please don't say compressed air... it's never air... only propellant

outside of that, you can crack your paint if the panel gets too hot, then you shock it.

stancho

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
This method did not work on my wife's Altima. It has a 5-inch dent on the front fender. The paint was not damaged, the dent is still there.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Tried it on the hood of my daughters VW Jetta TDI. Sadly it didn't work. The question came up ... did I heat it enough, was the dent to broad (someone sat on her car), did we cool it incorrectly? Too bad it didn't work ... but it was worth a try.

bigtom111

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 97 Passat, 03 Jetta
The first thing to try is a good old plumbers helper (A plunger that is) Put a little vasoline around the lip. Slowly push it flat over the dent and then pull it out. Works on small dents without a crease in them.

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
bruzer_boy said:
I do Paintless Dent Repair for a living. This process that they are using will work, but only on a small percentage of dents. And the chances of the dent comming out flawless are very slim. The car that they were doing it on has very thin sheet metal to begin with. Any dent that this process will work on could be poped out with your hand if you could get behind it. I just dont' want people to get the wrong idea and start taking hair dryers and co2 to their cars for nothing. Its probably best if you just take the car to someone who knows what they are doing. But if you must try, good luck. And no, it wont hurt the paint.
I will have to defer every body to the paintless dent repair technicians. I ended up dropping a bar from my Thule rack on the LF quarter panel on an 03 Mazda Protege. Luckily the foot that hit the panel was rubberized, but it still dented the panel. I took it to a body shop and they wanted around $500 to repair it. I took it to the dealer and they said around $450, but they said to try the local paintless dent repair. I did and it came out flawless. I am a firm believer in this process, but from what I understand, they drill a small hole into the door and reach into the door with a hook or something of that nature. Maybe Bruzer-Boy can confirm, but they use this to work out the dent with minimal intrusion.

bruzer_boy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Actually a lot of times a hole doesn't even have to be drilled. A lot of the dents are done through the window opening. A wedge is used to separate the outside of the glass from the inside of the door and then a guard is placed over the window. The tools are then inserted from there. Different tools depending on the dent and the location.