Tire?

Bob u

TDI
Passat TDI SE 6M
It's time for me to replace the factory Hankook Optimo tires. These HanKook tires were to noise for me.

I'm looking for a quite, smooth riding and great gas mileage tire.

I'm looking at these three:
Michelin Premier A/S
Continental Truecontact
Pirelli Cintureto P7

What all do you recommend?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Same as my Passat, it came with crappy Hancook tires. Noisy, noisy YES !!!

These are what I'll be putting on!
http://generaltire.com/tires/passenger-and-minivan/altimax-rt43

And this is the reason why ! Read the report and what they rated the second best tire !!! I'll be going up one size to 245 - 45 -18 from factory. By doing this it will actually bring the speedometer in line with the real speed. Also where I live I have a quote for 4 tires installed, balanced and tax for Cdn $ 820.00

http://www.wheels.ca/guides/best-all-season-tires-for-2015/

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
Pirelli P7 all the way. Seemed like a different car. Had a little trouble keeping them balanced initially bit chalked it up to getting them installed last thing before they closed on a Saturday afternoon. This exact same tire came on my Audi A4, the Tdi replacement, and are very quiet.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Even more important is alignment. If your alignment is set optimally, as I did, Contis are good for 80k miles with no rounded edges. I would not ever advise anyone to upsize tire width as it can adversely affect wet performance and stopping.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Even more important is alignment. If your alignment is set optimally, as I did, Contis are good for 80k miles with no rounded edges. I would not ever advise anyone to upsize tire width as it can adversely affect wet performance and stopping.
In all the years I had my previous 2002 Jetta TDI I had NO ADVERSE PROBLEMS in any weather conditions with a one size update. As I said, it also adjusted the speedometer to actual speed as measured with a GPS instead of reading 5% higher than actual road speed !

As a matter of fact a wider/larger tread will give you a larger surface on the road and in effect give you better road holding ability ! The larger the surface attacking the road, the better the grip on the road !

BTW: The manufacturer will install the minimum required size for the weight and load capacity of a vehicle. They always offer a larger size for additional charges.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
We have been extremely happy with Nokian enTyre 2.0s. They were very very competitively priced and shocked how low they were specially in the 18" variety, I think it was around 600 mounted balanced. They are silent, handle great for an eco tire and tread life seems great, only 30K on them and the "water wear" marks say 60%

Nokians are harder to find but there are two great local shops that have offer great prices and great service.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In all the years I had my previous 2002 Jetta TDI I had NO ADVERSE PROBLEMS in any weather conditions with a one size update. As I said, it also adjusted the speedometer to actual speed as measured with a GPS instead of reading 5% higher than actual road speed !
Same here, had one size up on the jetta both summer and snows.

205-60-16 summer and 195-70-15 snows, snows looked great and both had no worse handling performance.

Bob u

TDI
Passat TDI SE 6M
Thanks for your input.
I am trying to decide between these two, Michelin Premiers A/S or Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.
Looking for a smoother and quieter ride but maintain my MPG.
What do you all think?

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I was surprised and disappointed to see Hankooks mounted as OEM. They sound like rock crushers. Just about anything would be a step up.

I like Nokians a lot. But in general I like to look at user reviews on Tire Rack. See what others have to say.

-mickey

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The Hankooks are terrible. We went with Michelin Primacy MXV4s (now discontinued) and got double the life out of them with significantly less noise. Running Michelin MXM4s now and they seem to be quite nice, as well.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We are at 59K miles on our '13 Passat, 4 years old next month, and still driving (much to my amazement) on the OEM Conti Pro Contacts. They still ride smoothly and quietly, with excellent directional stability, and there's still at least as much rubber above the wear bars as from there to the bottom. Going to need another set of tires here in a few months, definitely before the snow flies. I'd like to save some money on this set, since we're turning the car in on the buyback 12/18, but these Continentals have just been so good......

NB: The Hankooks had such a bad rep four years ago that I told the salesman we would refuse delivery on the car if it was delivered with them.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I'm at 91k on my OEM Conti Pro Contacts, inside of the rear's are smooth but no steel showing yet :D They still ride perfect

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm at 91k on my OEM Conti Pro Contacts, inside of the rear's are smooth but no steel showing yet :D They still ride perfect
If there's no steel belts showing, you're good for another 10K easy!

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I was happy with the OEM Conti's but switched to Michelins (premiere A/S IIRC) when it was time (can't beat Costco for tires). My Conti's only lasted around 50k - they weren't really totally worn out but it was October and I didn't want to brave another winter on them, expecially as my kids were learning to drive at that point.

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
It's time for me to replace the factory Hankook Optimo tires. These HanKook tires were to noise for me.

I'm looking for a quite, smooth riding and great gas mileage tire.

I'm looking at these three:
Michelin Premier A/S
Continental Truecontact
Pirelli Cintureto P7

What all do you recommend?
Not sure if you have decided or not we went with Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus on 2012 TDI SEL and could not be happier. Place I bought them owner drives a 911 Turbo and his parents both have Passat he says tires were made for car. He is independent dealer so he could get whatever I wanted. Great in wet, snow, when we get it many trips still look new.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
We have been extremely happy with Nokian enTyre 2.0s. They were very very competitively priced and shocked how low they were specially in the 18" variety, I think it was around 600 mounted balanced. They are silent, handle great for an eco tire and tread life seems great, only 30K on them and the "water wear" marks say 60%

Nokians are harder to find but there are two great local shops that have offer great prices and great service.
They are relatively inexpensive, but I wouldn't call them "economy tires." They are world class. I've never had a complaint about Nokians. Especially the snow tires. The Finns know about bad weather.

-mickey

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. I've put them on the last five cars because I like their price, they have low road noise, and stick like glue.

Drive safe.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I have the Michelin Premier A/S on my car and Pirelli Cinturato P7 on the wife's car. Both are very quiet tires. The difference? The Michelins are more of a touring ride and the Pirellis are a bit more sporting oriented.

:)