The fan blower is not working Jetta mk4

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Checked the fuse on my MK4 Jetta and it's ok, could it be the fan switch? press A/C switch and it does not light up, the fan switch panel portion does not light up at night either,,,, any advice before I continue my search on what
the culprit is.. txs

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Does the fan work on #4 setting only?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
That's what I'm thinking too.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
To the OP - the backlight being burnt out is likely unrelated.

There is an excellent how-to here on how to remove center know, remove bulb with vacuum home, what bulb # to get, and how to reinstall.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah to fix that you need to pull the knob off and the bulb is recessed inside, forget what size.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Its this bulb:

Sylvania 2721.

I have discovered the same bulb is used to illuminate the power socket in the ash tray. Ask the dealer about a replacement and they tell you that only the entire socket assembly is available for $55. But you can disassemble that too and replace just the bulb.

--Nate

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
let me try and see if the #4 works, i tried it up til #3 what are the chances that it could be the blower? hope not,, I'd hate to pull it out,,, before I try to pull it out I'd need to continue doing more test on the rest of the stuff, ,,,,,, when button is pushed for the recric, light works, but the A/C does not,,, any more suggestions?

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check position #4, it bypasses the resistor pack and applies 12 volts to the motor. If it works there then the resistor pack is bad, my sons car, the pack was rusted because the PO didn't put the cabin filter cover on The correct way
and water trickled down to the resistor pack and kept it submerged.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
position#4 still does not turn the blower or heather on,, so now the question that I have,, is fuse #25 (25Amp) the only fuse for the blower or is there another one that I'd need to check?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it is time to check my blower to see if it is the culprit!!!!!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I"m chasing the wires now, it's not the motor, its not the fuse, and I have no current going through the resistors and the motor, so I am thinking the culprit may be the blower switch,.

As far as I know,
there is only 4 different things that could malfunction, fuse, switch, blower, and resistors??? Am I right on this???

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Fuse, fan blower, resistors, fan switch, are not the culprit, does anyone know which relay provides current to the fuse box?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
..........bet it's the Fan Switch!

Those circuits are fed thru the 75X (that circuit is disabled during the START MODE of the Iginition). In the On position (Iginition) the Fan and other accessories will function.

The Fan Switch (E9) circuit is fed by fuse #25 (which happens to be a 25amp fuse) and does not involve a relay. The Switch can be bad and it "will not" operate the fan on #4 position.

With Ignition ON, the Fan Switch must be ON before the Fresh Air function or AC function will operate whether their bulbs are blown or not.

There is a How To as well as a current Thread of discussion over in 101, which includes a few pictures of the switch and what happens internally when it goes kaput.

Hope this helps!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
kind of rare situation Andybees,, got a new fan switch from 1st vw, then I plugged it in my Jetta and it did not turn the blower, tested resistor pack and fan blower installed them in my golf and they both worked,,,???

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
There must be a circuit (wire) in the system that's lost contact ....... maybe in the fuse panel.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
been looking for the circuit and Im getting shorted out myself,, this is striking me out, trying to get it fixed before winter comes,, does anyone know if there is any other fuse connected to fan/AC besides the fuse in the fuse/box? going around in circle and everything seems to be fine but the fan is not working still<<

442JOHN

TDI
soon 1999.5 Jetts TDI
I also have no fan or A/C in my Jetta TDI. Fuse number 25 good? is there a 30 AMP fuse on battery that could cause this? I need my blower motor to work?

Jonny Zero

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P ~ 2001 MK4 GOLF TDI ~ R.I.P
I'm having the same issue. Swapped out my blower and resistor; no change. Hooked up my blower to a battery and it worked. Not sure how to test my resistor pack? I did check to see if there was juice via multimeter. There is juice to my motor blower, but nothing to my resistor. I'm assuming from the switch, power goes to the resistor pack.... I'm going to swap out my switch tomorrow to see if that changes anything and maybe it's a good idea to check the 30A fuse on top of the battery...

I'm hoping it's not a wiring issue.

NormF

TDI
2012 - Jetta TDI (daily driver -120,000 KMs), 2006 Jetta TDI , oldest son), 2004 (younger son), 2003 Beetle TDI ( daughter), 2004 Golf TDI - (son's Girl Friend)
Hi, We're experiencing something quite similar on our 2006 jetta.....

So far, we,ve replaced the blower and resister pack and the fuse.. but there is still no power on either position 1,2,3,4 for the blower..

Took dash apart to access the control module and from what we can tell using a tester, it "seems" to work.. That said, there is no power going to the switch leg that controls the blower.. If I bring in a jumper wire, the blower does work on all speeds...

So, we're at a similar point... looking for a fuse or a relay which controls the the control switch for the blower..

VaanBasch

TDI
97 Jetta GL IDI AAZ
Figure it out yet ? Because I'm in the same boat ... Only thing missing on mine is the AC relay

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
Just closing the loop here. This is the faulty switch fix in 101 that was noted. THis was my problem.

ajn007

TDI
06 Jetta TDI BRM
The fix

Ok I solved the issue state above. After reading in multiple spots I was able to diagnose and fix the issue.
First the symptoms:
Heater fan blower does not work period. If your fan spins but not on all speeds check the resistor really easy to remove and carried at most part stores. Check the voltage at the fan plug, if its less than 12 you've probably got this issue or a blown fuse. Check fuse 40 (30amp) for power on top and bottom side of the fuse. If there is no power here or fuse 41 and 42 you've got most likely a bad relay. Another symptom is your window washer will also not work as this is on fuse 41.
What is causing this is a failing 460 relay. Part #1K0951253A. Download the following PDF and go to page http://home.comcast.net/~jeri534/fuses.pdf and go to page 15 and the relay that is in bad is B9. Simply swap b1 into b9 and your fan turns back on this is your problem. If your other 460 relay is bad the car won't run and will strand you. I replaced both for under $20 to stop that scenario from occurring.
Getting at the relay panel is described nowhere. You get to the relay panel by do the following:
Remove 2 T-20 screws in the plastic plate above the Peddles. Remove the plug to the light on the top part of the panel, don't forget to first free the red lock on the back part of the plug. Then use a flathead screw drive to free the clips on the 16 pin purple port. the plastic plate is now free to get the heck out of the way.
Now look straight up to the left of the steering wheel and you'll see the relay panel. You'll need to use a screw drive to remove relay B4[circled in blue in the pic] as arrow shape elongated piece of plastic will stop the panel from coming down [point at in blue in pic]. There are two push clips on each side just behind the wire connectors [look for green arrows for location. The pannel will fall and will need aided to completely come down. Moderate force down. Each 460 relay (black with this number on it circled in read) have clips holding it in, free with flat head. In addition, if you look at the fuse box under your hood you might find what I found. [/IMG] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByKLimmNinFvTU9TQUpkZHc0cTQ/view?usp=sharing
The 100 amp that feeds the power to the realy was corroded. See second pic. The wire that feeds the power is under the blue 100 and you'll noticed the green corrosion. Put some corrosion remover to stop power supply issues going forward.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByKLimmNinFvb2lDeUY4aDhMWkU/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: