Injection pump leak from bolt on body of pump...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hi folks! I noticed my IP is leaking from a bolt head on body that faces the glow plugs. What is this bolt? Does it have a seal? Will I screw anything up or springs fly out if I remove it? It's a bolt head on back side of pump body, just beneath the the top part of the pump, close to where the hard lines come into the pump. My searching hasn't come up with anything yet, I'm hoping someone could post a pic and tell me what it is for.... this is on the '03 ALH pump....

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
If it's has a 13mm head on it's just a copper/aluminum sealing washer behind it. Just snug it up a bit and carry on. It's possible that the seal has corroded away and will need to be replaced. Nothing but fuel will come out if you remove it.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where can you get this seal? The pump has 419k miles on it.... it looks like 13mm head, forgot to check and see what size it was.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Autozone and the other have a small box-o-washer assortment that might have the right size.

I'll bet that snugging it as suggested above will fix it.

If you do pull it the pump body will drain about half way. Might take some cranking to get it to go unless you have a vac. Spend as little time as possible with it out and maybe the lift pump will stay primed.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cool, thanks. I'll try snugging it up first and taking for a drive- need to make sure the new oil cooler o-ring I put in stays not leaking...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Eh,my luck, still leaks after a little snugging up. At least the oil cooler orings aren't leaking....

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You sure it's the plug and not running down from the QA/body joint or the top cover?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You sure it's the plug and not running down from the QA/body joint or the top cover?
I'll have to double check. I'll have to get someone to run throttle at higher RPM's to see if I see anything spraying out anywhere. I now have wet injector return lines(the cloth braided), fuel filter has fuel collecting on it(was a known problem when I bought car), and the lines that are near firewall that come up from tank that have the disconnect, the rubber hose that goes to filter seems to be damp on the outside. Not sure if the PO ran biodiesel or not, I'll have to ask. I'll have to get some of that injector return line, I bought some 1/8" fuel line but not sure if that'll work or not. I did get some copper washers, so I'll dry the area up the best I can and see if I can see where fuel is coming from....