New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Isn't this the engine (in the 05 Passat) that has balance shaft issues? Have you checked into this?

Ensure that the VW mechanic knows VW diesels. There are many excelent VW mechanics that can make very expensive diagnostic and mechanical mistakes on VW diesels.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Yes there is a problem with the balance shaft on the Passat.It is about 3k job to have the up grade done.

Tom

L1V3N 1T

TDI
MK3 jetta AHU
hey there guys and girls! recently picked up a 1998 jetta wolfsburg that i have put in H&R springs, Bilstien B8 struts, eibach sway bar kit, prothane suspention kit, and some falken azenis 615k's. now that this mk3 can corner i am spending my money on over hauling an AHU to install. im a licensed tech and i do realise th eton of wiring that will need to be done and the fact of all the transmisson components i have to change over. i am really looking forward to doing the swap just want to build up the girl first. i really want to hit the 250-300 bhp with her, so i look forward to doing the research through the forum to see what some things you guys have done.
nice to meet all of use!
the new guy, Derrick.

gneal02

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI 5 Speed
Hello all, I just picked up a 2005 Jetta TDI Thursday. I have an 07 Ram with a 5.9 Cummins so this is not my first diesel. It is however my first VW diesel so I will be reading and doing my best to learn everything I can about this car to keep it problem free. I got it for 12500 out the door with 63344 miles on it. Dealer just wouldn't go any lower on it.

nancyingreece

TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Jetta 2009 TDI Sport Wagon Newbie

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a Jetta 2009 TDI. This is/was my dream car. I have had it 3+ years - bought it brand new with the hopes of having it for many years. I have 90K miles on the car. My Partner works at VW/Audi so I have had it serviced regularly. At about 60K I went over a steep curb in a parking lot and seemingly this did no damage other than a dent on the outside of the underside. I have had this repaired. The car was totally checked over at the dealership after this. So, at about 80K I had a problem with the "flap" on the catalytic converter. At this point VW looked at the car and told me that they were seeing problems with the fuel lines in these cars and that VW was fixing them unbenounced to the customer and replacing the catalytic converter and all the lines. They replaced my catalytic converter and the "flap" for free. I then started using additive and saving all my gas receipts. I have not had a problem since but then last week I hit a pothole and the next morning my check engine light was on, then my particulate filter, then my glow plug fault was flashing. My partner took the car in and all I could think was I am experiencing the feulpump problem but now I come to find out I had an oil leak. They are still looking for the source of the leak. I am very freaked out by these problems and am not sure I can connect the pothole to the oil leak. And I am getting nightmare stories about VW fixing fuel line problems so the problems don't become public. So..... I need some input from folks that have owned TDIs and VWs because I have not. I have had a toyota corolla and a saturn both I kept forever and had very few problems with. I am wondering if I should sell this car and buy something for the less mechanically inclined. This entire thing makes me so sad as I love the car. I literally saved for years to buy this cash down..... now what? :confused::confused::confused:

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
552000 km TDI from Hope BC.

Hi all, Anybody with some back gound on this 02 Jetta would be nice.
I bought it on Friday and drove it home to southern Alberta. I process of geting safty done. Great car so far 964 km = 50l.
I have owners manuel, great service til 03 sept. (thanx Rusty) then a big gap. Looks like Richard from Lytton BC had it in 07 till 17/06/11. Bought 4 glow plugs and instaled only one.
So any info on this silver 4 door TDI would be great.
Glen :)

Well thought about it for and I will need to cheak everything out right down to the drive for the oilpump anyways. Records would be nice but not nesecary.
Car started searvice in Vernon BC.
I'm loven it and you can't have it back. :)

Last edited:

Überläufer

TDI
2006 Jetta
New owner

After much contemplation I purchased an '06 Jetta DSG 156K from MF Automotive in Knoxville, TN. Purchased for $9900 OTD. Maintenance that was very recently completed on this car prior to purchase:

Full timing belt service
Cam job
Flywheel
ERG cooler with gaskets
New OE Headliner
New D/S door harness
New rear headrest
Oil service

Apart from this car not having the 6MT I believe and am hoping no serious issues in the near future. Coming from an '06 Mercedes so I'm not new to potential expensive repairs. My mileage is <10K miles a year. Goal is to keep for at least 5 years minimum.

eurautodoc

TDI
1996 passat 2002 golf
re-boot

1996 Passat TDI runs great for 50 miles then starts bucking like crazy, pull over, remove battery cables and touch them together and its good for another few miles, how do I fix this car?

ethankz750

TDI
None Yet
What's up everyone. I've been lurking here for a few weeks now. Looking high and low for the perfect 02-03 Jetta TDI or Golf TDI. Currently driving an 06 S2000. Any advice or help finding one is appreciated!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
What's up everyone. I've been lurking here for a few weeks now. Looking high and low for the perfect 02-03 Jetta TDI or Golf TDI. Currently driving an 06 S2000. Any advice or help finding one is appreciated!
Check Foobert's link in my signature.

sleekblackbeauty

TDI
2009 Jetta
Hi everyone! I just purchased a Jetta tdi today--first diesel, not my first turbo (Volvo 760) or my first VW. But it has been about 35 years since I last drove my father's 1975 Rabbit. I learned how to drive on that peppy little econobox.

I am looking forward to working with this car. It has bells and whistles: first sat nav I ever used! I got a good deal. I bought it from a non-VW dealer who was having trouble moving it. The CEL is on. There was an error message regarding the brake light as well, saying it was out. It is not out, but has an aftermarket light, and must have a slightly different voltage to trigger the chassis electrical fault. The sales guy told me CEL was for this problem as well, which was obviously wrong. I talked to the manager who gave me the same line (as did the finance guy later, must have been discussed endlessly by these clueless white collar types). I said let's check the codes, and it was the P047F code for bad exhaust flap valve. I looked it up on my phone right then in the parking lot, and walked away from the car. Otherwise it has new tires and is cosmetically and functionally perfect.

Later I searched the forum and found a lot of good information on it. Realizing it may be a free fix and that the tail light fault is nothing much, I bought the car with a lowball offer, what I think was near their rock bottom price.

Now I am looking forward to fixing this and enjoying this excellent forum! I am no stranger to car forums being a DIY type with my cars. I just bought an owners manual for the car (was not included). Any advice on a good repair manual?

Last edited:

Rustcarracer

TDI
Mk3 jetta
Hi everyone, long time vw junkie, but new to the tdi world.

Just picked up a mint 1998 jetta tdi, with only 160000km on it.

Looking to learn about this engine and give it a little more boost.

Brettboy

TDI
Seat Leon TDI 110
Hi all
I'm Brett i own a 2001 Seat Leon 110 tdi,have owned it for 8 months now
Been lowered,18" RS6's,HID's & other subtle mods,have f/lift bumpers & side skirts to be fitted in nr future & planning on a remap at some point.
I've owned various diesels for the last 8yrs but not modded them

I'm sure i will learn alot on here

apcopatech

TDI
2013 Golf Base TDI DSG Reflex Silver Metallic
hey guys and gals!
Does anybody know what the 2013 golf's stereo max output per "channel" is?
Not the Dynaudio, the regular 8 speaker hd radio.
I'm trying to figure out which line converter to get, so I can add an amp and sub.
Any advise on this would be helpful, I've never owned a VW, I have a 4 door Golf, I'm not sure where to put the converter, behind the head unit, or where, I know the converter will have a remote turn on for the amp thou.
Thanks the help.

Last edited:

andriah613

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
:thumbup: on the 2006 s2000! My husband owns a laguna blue, same year. Love his car!! Just picked up '12 TDI Jetta for me and I love it!!

raygun

TDI
2013 TDI
Warm up?

Do I have to warm up my Jetta TDI in the cold weather for a minutes? Or can I just take off after leaving idle a few seconds? It's a 2013 TDI Please let me know, I'm a newbie, thanks for your time.

ninjamoby

TDI
Hi everyone-

About to make a purchased on a used 2011 Golf TDI 4 door DSG. It has about 19,000 miles on it.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for when I'm checking out the car before final purchase (in addition to the usual - tires, breaks, coolant, mechanicals) ?

Looking forward to sharing my adventures with this new(ish) car.

gfowkes

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
New to me 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon

Super stoked to pick-up my 05 wagon with 61K.

Thanks in advance for your tips.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hi everyone-
About to make a purchased on a used 2011 Golf TDI 4 door DSG. It has about 19,000 miles on it.
Is there anything in particular I should look out for when I'm checking out the car before final purchase (in addition to the usual - tires, breaks, coolant, mechanicals) ?
Looking forward to sharing my adventures with this new(ish) car.
The main thing is, don't pay too much. It should be indistinguishable from a brand new car, only several thousand dollars less.

And you should like everything about it: color, features, options, etc. If it's not quite what you want, then buy a new one or keep looking for another used one.

ninjamoby

TDI
The main thing is, don't pay too much. It should be indistinguishable from a brand new car, only several thousand dollars less.
And you should like everything about it: color, features, options, etc. If it's not quite what you want, then buy a new one or keep looking for another used one.
Thank you, TornadoRed.

It was hard to find a used TDI in Southern California with the features I wanted (Sunroof, HID lights, upgraded stereo, rear airbags) and without the things I didn't want (Navigation).

I think I did okay.

I ended up getting it for a smidge less than $21k, certified pre-owned (so I have warranty coverage that extends for 2 years 24,000 after the original warranty expires). A comparable 2012 or 2013 invoices at $29k (including a bunch of options I don't want or need). Taxes and fees is where California really hurts its car buyers.

bterry89

TDI
2012 black jetta tdi 6 speed manaul
Well i just pulled the trigger on a 2013 jetta tdi. im looking forward to learning more about vw tdi's. This isnt my first diesel had 2 other cummins but ill be learning more on saturday when i receive it and finish the paper work.

cmvw

TDI
2012 jetta
new to forum

i live in south central pa, and just purchased 2012 tdi jetta. i've been a trucker for 30 years, but never owned a diesel car. a whole different beast! 1300 miles on it and 40.6 mpg on last tank. my question is: every now and then i get a burning smell when i park and get out. i cant really tell where it is coming from, but i dont see any fluids on hot engine parts. i thought at first, it was paint burning off of a new engine, but at 1300 miles, and 3 weeks, i feel it should have stopped by now. any ideas? thanx, -craig