VW Radio codes retrival

buccicone

TDI
1997 Passat,Sold 1998 Jetta TDI, Sold 2010 Jetta TDi, 2006 Mercedes E320 CDI
Does anyone know if the VW Dealer charges $$ to retrieve the radio codes When you get one from another VW and don't have the code?:confused:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
My local dealer did not charge me for the code. The parts guy actually took about 20 minutes, then entered the code into the radio to confirm.

Tony

mrw

TDI
1999 Jetta a3
The local thief (dealer) in Langhorne, Pa would not do it for less than $89. flat charge. My radio has not functioned for 2 years. I refuse to be screwed by a scum bag dealer

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I needed the code once. The replacement radio was from a junkyard, VIN unknown. No charge for the code retrieval, HOWEVER... They don't hang around getting paid by the franchise owner to give away their services. My look-up was a courtesy thanking me for the other parts purchases I was making that day.
The $89 charge others assess is keeping out free-loaders asking for hand-outs. Schedule some service there and add in retrieve the code. I'll bet it's complimentary then.

buccicone

TDI
1997 Passat,Sold 1998 Jetta TDI, Sold 2010 Jetta TDi, 2006 Mercedes E320 CDI
Since I did the original post, I got the code from the "Stealer":cool: for no charge over the phone. I saw in the owner manual they are not to charge for the codes. It maybe free for the original radio if it matches. You need the V.I.N. # of the vehicle and the radio "V.I.N." which is stamped in the side.

anahii18

TDI
none
Hey I am having the same problem, i called the dealer and they want to charge me...who is the stealer so I can get my free code 2!!!!!! I want my code for free~~~ i go to college and paying 100 bucks is not an option!!!!!!!! help

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
anahii18,
Call around to other dealers. Being in vegas, there is a dealer in LV and Henderson. If one doesn't want to be helpful, try the other.

In my case, I have a good relationship with a parts guy; he was able to spend 15 minutes calling VW to get the safe code for mine.

HTH

Tony