TDIFest 2010, Where will it be?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hell, I wouldn't want the Olympics either. Talk about a total cluster-F. ;)

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I'm pretty sure Chicago can handle a few hundred TDI's. After all were not asking that a stadium be built. I'll bet some of the heavily modded TDIs would like Lake Shore Drive closed for the event, though. Hmmm high speed driving with a view...nice very nice.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
TT71 said:
I'm pretty sure Chicago can handle a few hundred TDI's. After all were not asking that a stadium be built. I'll bet some of the heavily modded TDIs would like Lake Shore Drive closed for the event, though. Hmmm high speed driving with a view...nice very nice.
Being Chicago, I'm sure anything can be arranged for a price ;) Anyone know if Obama owns a TDI?:rolleyes:

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
owr084 said:
Being Chicago, I'm sure anything can be arranged for a price ;) Anyone know if Obama owns a TDI?:rolleyes:
Very astute observation. You must have been a Chicagoan, if not we can make you an honorary one...for a price of course. :)

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Illinois is the midwest...we have had them in the midwest before......

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
TT71 said:
Very astute observation. You must have been a Chicagoan, if not we can make you an honorary one...for a price of course. :)
I was there for a couple of years in the late 70s. The blizzard of 79 was an interesting example of the way the machine failed to work. I laughed every morning at the Trib headlines pillorying Bilandic for the way he mishandled everything...

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
TDIMeister said:
I don't know about the feasibility of a full-fledged TDI Fest in Germany (I'm a transplant from Canada myself and my stay in Germany will end soon), but I have floated the idea of a guided tour itinerary of Germany on rented Diesel cars and visiting some places of interest for car/TDI lovers (e.g. auto museums, factories, VW's Autostadt in Wolfsburg, etc.). If there is serious interest, it can be made to happen...
It might be worth polling to see what kind of interest there is? Perhaps a trip to Wolfsburg & Autostadt and who knows what else? I'm guessing scheduling a time would probably be one of the tougher items (besides the $ factor).

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=119588

Someone other than myself this time will have to start a new poll to demonstrate initiative and serious interest to do something like this. :)

Sorry to bring this thread OT, but as a one-man committee I'm not proposing a German TDI Fest, just a long-time member offering a guided tour of the places I've already been :)

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Chicago is NOT BFE Lake Mills, WI.

BUT, unless you went way, way, way out a rally would suck. And traffic is a disaster on Labor Day.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Hopefully some folks will step up so we can have it a place we havent been.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
nor the Bronx,
Okeechobee,
Branson,
any of the dozen Springfields or Manchesters.
There are many more places that the fest hasn't been than it has, so the argument "we haven't been there before" is silly. It is plainly obvious why that consideration is not part of the site selection criteria.

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
I have been to the Autostadt, the VW museum, the Audi plant in Neckarsulm and some Castles too. My company has some very specific machines in the VW plant that I would love to go and work on but who knows!
If you get a chance if you have not been go to the VW museum and the Autostadt. I got to sit in the R8 Lemans car the R8 Audi. I tell you though, just checking the "peoples" cars on the streets was quite a head turner. I go every year and am looking forward to this years trip. When I go, I will let you know and maybe we can meet for a tall one!

TDIMeister said:
I don't know about the feasibility of a full-fledged TDI Fest in Germany (I'm a transplant from Canada myself and my stay in Germany will end soon), but I have floated the idea of a guided tour itinerary of Germany on rented Diesel cars and visiting some places of interest for car/TDI lovers (e.g. auto museums, factories, VW's Autostadt in Wolfsburg, etc.). If there is serious interest, it can be made to happen...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Exactly! Thank you, Jon.

It's all about putting together a good proposal for a location that will support the requirements of TDIFest and provide the visitors with a memorable weekend... in addition to generating funds for the forum.

Some people are working on a proposal for somewhere on the west coast, and some of us are working on a proposal for Chicago. We'll see what happens in about a month. :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
LOL... I'm ready, too! Just gotta submit our proposal to Fred and wait for his decision.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I am searching ebay for suitcase handles so I can attach them to fenders hoods etc! as carry on luggage...

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
Come on, that's easy... BFE --- 50501 Fort Dodge, Iowa

LOL

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I can help in chicago....13 years there.

d0nalba1n

TDI
1999 VW Beetle 1.9L Stock
Florida Georgia Maybe?

New to TDIClub so not sure about a comittee, but if anyone wanted to do one in the South East, such as Florida or Georgia somewhere I would be willing to assist. Just let me know.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just got back from Chicago and scouting out our idea for a host hotel. I liked what I saw, and we will be submitting a proposal on November 1st. :)

If you're interested in offering your assistance with the event, please contact us at tdifest@tdiclub.com so that we can include you in the proposal. Please be sure to include any pertinent contact information, such as your TDIClub username, real name, phone number, email address, and your approximate location. Also, feel free to include any information that may help us in sorting through volunteer assignments, like past event planning history and/or areas of interest. :cool:

-Lawson

Last edited:

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I reside in CT, but am originally from and have family in the Chicagoland area. I would be more than happy to offer my services during the fest. I will shoot you my info.

VeeDubTDI said:
I just got back from Chicago and scouting out our idea for a host hotel. I liked what I saw, and we will be submitting a proposal on November 1st. :)

If you're interested in offering your assistance with the event, please contact us at tdifest@tdiclub.com so that we can include you in the proposal. Please be sure to include any pertinent contact information, such as your TDIClub username, real name, phone number, email address, and your approximate location. Also, feel free to include any information that may help us in sorting through volunteer assignments, like past event planning history and/or areas of interest. :cool:

-Lawson