Tesla Range Extender

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Probably courtesy of the same Photoshop genius that grafted Trump's gourd onto the Rocky Balboa poster . :D

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
This has been done for real, and I think it's actually a great idea. See Mr. Sharkey's EV Pusher trailer:

http://www.evalbum.com/304

He has an electric converted MK1 Rabbit, with a trailer made from the front end of an automatic MK1 Rabbit... by pushing it down the freeway, he can even recharge batteries in regen mode. I would have loved a trailer like that behind my e-Golf.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As cool as that setup is, a pusher trailer seems sketchy as hell. Someone has to have made a lightweight, low profile genset trailer using a motorcycle engine or similar. Whether any of the factory made EV's actually allow you to charge on the go is another matter.

Last edited:

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Whether any of the factory made EV's actually allow you to charge on the go is another matter.
An e-Golf will NOT let you move while a charger is connected to the power inlet port. I just want a battery pack on a trailer inside a Thule box that I can utilize like a rolling DC Fast Charger... Sure, dragging it along will decrease some range, but having more capacity and the ability to plug in anywhere I want to stop... :)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Someone should post this on the tesla forum.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That would undoubtedly prompt many jokes about VW testing out their latest clean diesel tech.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
On RAGBRAI last year, I saw at least two trailers with solar panels being towed behind e-bikes. One man was riding from San Fransico to Buffalo, NY. He was helping to design the trailers for retail sales. Said this was his second one and was about 100 pounds lighter than the first.

My thoughts this morning was that if I had an e-truck, maybe I could mount the solar panels on the bedcover and have converter/battery storage in the bed. Might not be able to charge wile moving but it could be set up to charge during bio breaks. Other option is to mount the panels on the travel trailer and use that charge both for the tow vehicle and then camping that night.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Solar panels will charge the accessory battery, they do squat for range extending. How far can you go on a couple KWH?

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
An e-Golf will NOT let you move while a charger is connected to the power inlet port.

I've gotta say, this feature is pretty important... more than once I tried to drive off in my e-Golf without realizing it was plugged in. I think the pusher trailer makes more sense than a generator, because it's likely to be used only for long distance freeway driving at steady speeds, and a generator would involve a huge efficiency cut vs a direct drive.

Instead of an automatic, I think a pusher trailer with a manual and an electric clutch actuator would work out, if left in the highest gear. Like electric bicycles, you don't need to downshift up hills with the electric boost.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think 1854sailor is right about somebody figuring out a hack to allow on the move charging. It is sure to get addressed by the manufacturers once range extenders are commonplace. I'd expect charging ports will be added at the rear of vehicles for that purpose.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
As cool as that setup is, a pusher trailer seems sketchy as hell.
That guy made that many many years ago, it has plenty of miles on it and he's had no issues. That guy is a master tinkerer!

In his FAQs there is a question, "What do the cops think about it? I don't know I haven't asked them." :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^Gotta respect the ingenuity. I still prefer having the drive wheels on a non-articulating chassis. I can see things get squirrelly pretty easily with a rig like that if not operated extremely carefully.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I can see things get squirrelly pretty easily with a rig like that...
I used to think that, but I've tied notably to come up with a scenario where it could get unpredictable and out of control and I really can't. I'm all ears if you want have thought of a specific scenario where it could lose control.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used to think that, but I've tied notably to come up with a scenario where it could get unpredictable and out of control and I really can't. I'm all ears if you want have thought of a specific scenario where it could lose control.

Well, obviously there are infinite scenarios where any vehicle could lose control. As long as the pusher rig is only pushing on dead straight, level roadway at speeds below 60 mph in good weather I might feel safe riding along. Dynamically, it seems somewhat similar to the difference between pulling a trailer forward and pushing back it in reverse. I love the inventive spirit of the creator, but I'd call it more of a cool curiosity than a safe, practical option for the general public.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I was in a 45 mile per hour zone one afternoon and I noticed a pickup truck following me pulling a trailer with what looked like plastic schedule 40 pipe.

He was not going that fast and it was sunny, dry, warm, conditions were fine, straight level section of road. I just happened to recheck my rear view mirror and I saw him start to swerve and loose control of that truck. He went back and forth two or three times and then the truck and trailer jumped the curb into someone’s yard and both turned on their sides. Spilling about 20 or so pieces of of plastic pipe all over the roadway behind me.

I’ve often wondered what caused that accident. He wasn’t overloaded, no idiot oncoming traffic, perfect more or less conditions, not speeding. The best I can come up with is a locked up brake or blown tire on the trailer which of course I couldn’t see from my position. I think about that seemingly random accident whenever I’m pulling a trailer or with someone who is.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
OCTranspo (Ottawa City Transportation) bought a whole bunch of articulated buses a while back, these buses are essentially a 4 wheeled vehicle with a permanently attached trailer. These particular buses have the engine all the way at the back driving essentially the "trailer" wheels. Now, for those perhaps not familiar with Canadian geography, Ottawa gets pretty cold in winter, and they get the occasional snowstorm. And then, hilarity ensues ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVssCE7mY5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVtpC57Zrw

Problem is that when the bendy bit is bent for whatever reason, the pusher trailer wants to push straight and the back wheels of the front part of the bus are sideways holding it stopped ...

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Dynamically, it seems somewhat similar to the difference between pulling a trailer forward and pushing back it in reverse.
This is entirely different though, sure, the trailer hitch/ball is being pushed on by the trailer in both scenarios, but that is where the similarity ends. The massive difference between backing up a trailer and this trailer pushing the car is that the car getting pushed is going the opposite direction.

With the rear axle of the vehicle effectively providing the steering input to the trailer it really cannot get out of control. Sure, on an icy road with summer tires on it could get wierd, but under most any normal driving situations it just can't, you also have to remember this is a 52 HP motor, and its old, and its getting power to the ground through an auto trans, so we're talking what, 35 WHP?

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
LOL im not a big Fan of Teslas either because i find them way too over pricey and the fact that i would have to get a electrician to install a power unit in the garage to charge it is another and ever wonder if you have an emergency in the middle of the night to use the car and cant because batt is not fully charged yet BUT. beleive or not there is better battery technology coming in the near future where you will be able to charge a battery fully in 5-10 minutes it is coming guys getting back to tesla i was reading online that there is a tesla owner i beleive out of california that has nearly 1 million miles on his 'original battery.!!' that's impressive. but i still dont like the existing waite charging time with tesla batt or price but im hoping it should get a lot better over time.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I’ve often wondered what caused that accident. He wasn’t overloaded, no idiot oncoming traffic, perfect more or less conditions, not speeding.

From your description, it was almost certainly a very low or even negative tongue weight scenario from improper loading. With a negative tongue weight you get that sort of powerful swaying action that can't be stopped and will eventually spin the whole rig... terrifying.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
That guy is a master tinkerer!
He really is, I ran into him once in Salem and he told me all about it, and lots of stories of using it. It's one of the coolest home projects I've ever seen. The full engine controls and gauges inside the EV were really amazing.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
From your description, it was almost certainly a very low or even negative tongue weight scenario from improper loading. With a negative tongue weight you get that sort of powerful swaying action that can't be stopped and will eventually spin the whole rig... terrifying.
With trailer brakes it can be stopped really quick by applying just the trailer brakes, without trailer brakes you have to give it a bit of gas to "pull it straight", but often times when you have a system that is tending toward chaos, adding more energy to the system is scary and/or counterintuitive, or impossible due to constraints of the road or the presence of other vehicles...

I had a trailer wag on me one time 20 years ago, I was able to accelerate slightly to regain control, but man, I am now a stickler for proper tongue weight whenever pulling trailers... I was blown away how much a 2000 pound trailer could boss around an F250 :eek:

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
He really is, I ran into him once in Salem and he told me all about it, and lots of stories of using it. It's one of the coolest home projects I've ever seen. The full engine controls and gauges inside the EV were really amazing.
So rad you met him! He's a legend in my mind! I used to read a lot of his posts on the IDI forum many years ago, he abruptly quit posting there at one point, which was a real bummer.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
ever wonder if you have an emergency in the middle of the night to use the car and cant because batt is not fully charged yet BUT.
I've had a similar problem with my TDI forgetting to fill-up or waiting for a good deal on diesel. I've gotten into my car needing to get somewhere quickly but only had 1/8th a tank or ~90 miles of range.

But with my Tesla plugging in when you get home becomes a habit like putting your seat-belt on and the price is always the same (equivalent of ~$0.50/gallon). When you rarely drive >100 miles and have a car with a 300 mile range it's super-rare for the battery to drop below ~100 miles (usually >200 miles) which is more than enough to handle any 'emergency'.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I have a great fix for range in these over priced golf carts: Rip out the idiotic electric stuff and nstall an ALH drivetrain. Works great in summer and a HELL of a lot better at -30.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a great fix for range in these over priced golf carts: Rip out the idiotic electric stuff and nstall an ALH drivetrain. Works great in summer and a HELL of a lot better at -30.

Ha ha !!

There is a Dunkin’ Donuts in Corning NY that installed a genuine Tesla supercharger about 2-3 years ago. I love Dunkin’ Donuts coffee so I stop there occasionally and the Denny’s restaurant across the street.

I stopped at the Dunkin this past week and for the first time since installation I saw one of the 10 or so chargers being used. Now the little 6 -8 pump gas station across the road beside the Denny’s is always busy, they are both just off an exit on I86.

As I drove in I noticed a Tesla suv (X?j being charged I pointed it out to my wife and thought the owner was probably having coffee or maybe at Denny’s across the street. Nope, some older gentleman very smug looking as we drove by sitting in his car. It was cold out so here he sits in his $100k car with the heat on charging his car.

Only the second X class I’ve ever seen out of less than a dozen Tesla’s total. Traveling from PA to FL on several occasions.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you're just not noticing most of them. There are more Teslas on the road now in the US than tdi's. They were extremely rarely seen on the road up here in my rural area of Maine until last year. Now I see Model 3's almost every day. They certainly don't jump out at you like a smart car or bmw i3. The Tesla cybertruck will be hard to miss whenever those roll out of the factory.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Haven't seen very many if any Teslas in KC.
More likely in Johnson County and maybe some of the more properous Missouri counties.

I'll keep my TDIs - 600+ mile tank range on the 2000 Beetle (5 speed manual), 400+ mile on my 2015 Golf (with DSG).