2004-5 Passat relay panels

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Blocked from view by the instrument panel trim in front the driver's knees are two relay panels. The large panel is easy to see. The smaller panel is hidden behind it. These panels also contain fuses.

Larger version are available in the gallery, or save to your local computer and view larger in appropriate software.

Ignore the yellow wires running across the top picture. Those are related to the wiring of the rear fog light and indicator in the cluster.

Fuses next to the ECM:

80a fuse is for the glow plugs
15A fuse is for the injectors
10A fuse is for the heated oxygen sensor
219 is the power relay for the ECM, and also supplies power to the fuel pump relay.

Last edited:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
How hard is it to access the back of the top relay panel? I'd like to tap the signal wire for the DRL relay so I can reroute it to my city lights with some diodes so that my city lights run instead of low beams.

I did this exact setup (but used a relay instead of diodes on my golf) and what I did was drop the relay panel and locate the signal going to the DRL relay from the ebrake. Will the passat panel provide access as easily?

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Another question...where are the controls for the rear wiper? Also int eh wiper relay? I've always wondered if its possible to modify the rear wiper so it doesn't wipe so often. its too fast for all but a spring deluge. The delay is about 6 seconds, most times 12 would do and I assumed there would be a capacitor in the relay but maybe it is IC based in which case its probably way over my head.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
MOGolf: Thanks for the pictorials ;). I just changed out realy #384 (bad solder joint). Am I correct in saying the glow plug relay is located under the coolant bottle in the engine compartment for my 2005 Passat TDI?

Also, where did you get the 2.0 badge?

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
aja8888 said:
MOGolf: Thanks for the pictorials ;). I just changed out realy #384 (bad solder joint). Am I correct in saying the glow plug relay is located under the coolant bottle in the engine compartment for my 2005 Passat TDI?

Also, where did you get the 2.0 badge?

Thanks,

Tony
Yes the glow plug relay is under the coolant bottle and has yzx or some marking like that on the side. There is a square plug with several wires that plugs into the bottom.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You can unbolt the fuse panel (black box on the left), move it out of the way, and gain access to unbolting the front relay panel, just like the Golf.

The rear wiper delay is governed at the rear wiper.

OT: The "2.0 TDI" badge is a VW part. 3B0 853 675 AK 739 if I recall correctly. I just added the 2.0 part to the existing TDI part.

Heli wrench

TDI
05 Passat TDI
Why!?!? I shouldn't have to disassemble a bunch of stuff to change a fuse. If it wasn't for MOGolf I don't know if I would have found the fuse for the aft accessory outlet. :confused:

thanks MOGolf!!! and no thanks to the VW engineer that thought this up.....probably the same guy that decided that we needed the chain in the engine.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's another relay/fuse panel that I haven't pictured yet. It is in the black box on the opposite side of the plenum from the cabin air filter. That box also contains the ECM. I'll update the above when I do.

Have you noticed 4 relays to run 1 fan? The upper left 373 on the large relay panel is activated when you use the AC. The small relay panel left 373 operates the fan at low speed if the coolant starts to get too warm. The 370 relay operates the fan at high speed when the coolant gets really warm. The 373 above that operates the fan if the coolant is too warm when you've stopped the engine.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In post #1, I added the picture of the power relay and fuses next to the ECM.

If you really need clear access to that relay panel behind the main relay panel, I suggest that you first unbolt the fuse panel from the side of the instrument panel (two easily accessed bolts) and move it down, remove the two nuts holding the main relay panel in place and move it down. The fuse panel obscures access to one of the nuts holding the main relay panel.

RickyHus

TDI
Chainless 05 passat tdi wagon auto, 05.5 jetta tdi
There's another relay/fuse panel that I haven't pictured yet. It is in the black box on the opposite side of the plenum from the cabin air filter. That box also contains the ECM. I'll update the above when I do.

Have you noticed 4 relays to run 1 fan? The upper left 373 on the large relay panel is activated when you use the AC. The small relay panel left 373 operates the fan at low speed if the coolant starts to get too warm. The 370 relay operates the fan at high speed when the coolant gets really warm. The 373 above that operates the fan if the coolant is too warm when you've stopped the engine.
I want to be sure I am on right track, on my 05 passat tdi condenser fan does not work when I turn ac on, it works when the car heats up but it should start when i turn ac, so if the car is parked the compresor most of the time is off on highway compressor works without stoping, so it has to be the fuse or relay for the fan, should I go ahead and change 373 relay on the first panel, you marked it on the first picture as a cooling fan or I should change some other relay or fuse, thank you

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I want to be sure I am on right track, on my 05 passat tdi condenser fan does not work when I turn ac on, it works when the car heats up but it should start when i turn ac, so if the car is parked the compresor most of the time is off on highway compressor works without stoping, so it has to be the fuse or relay for the fan, should I go ahead and change 373 relay on the first panel, you marked it on the first picture as a cooling fan or I should change some other relay or fuse, thank you
See http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=216493&highlight=relay starting at post 31.

9Rockr

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-Spd, BSM Delete
I hate resurrecting old threads but how do you remove the plastic to get at these fuse panels. I don't want to break anything trying to figure it out on my own.

Passattdi863

TDI
Volkswagen Passat
Hey guys my 2004 volkswagen passat will not let me roll down any of my windows and my interior lights will not come on as well any ideas on what the problem could be maybe a relay

woollett

TDI
Passat 05 tdi 1.9
Blocked from view by the instrument panel trim in front the driver's knees are two relay panels. The large panel is easy to see. The smaller panel is hidden behind it. These panels also contain fuses.

Larger version are available in the gallery, or save to your local computer and view larger in appropriate software.

Ignore the yellow wires running across the top picture. Those are related to the wiring of the rear fog light and indicator in the cluster.

Fuses next to the ECM:

80a fuse is for the glow plugs
15A fuse is for the injectors
10A fuse is for the heated oxygen sensor
219 is the power relay for the ECM, and also supplies power to the fuel pump relay.
Thanks for all the info, but is there any way of identifying the wiper motor relay , I'm sure mine isn't working .
Thanks in advance

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
It is labeled in the first pic. Bottom rt corner. Double width.

FWIW, not wiper related but just had to replace the blinker stalk on mine. After years of use it was making sporadic contact inbthe rest position and made the blinker relay act crazy when not being used.

woollett

TDI
Passat 05 tdi 1.9
It is labeled in the first pic. Bottom rt corner. Double width.

FWIW, not wiper related but just had to replace the blinker stalk on mine. After years of use it was making sporadic contact inbthe rest position and made the blinker relay act crazy when not being used.
Thank you so much Sir, I couldn't seem to find any labelling anywhere. I'm so glad it's on the front and not the rear relay panel.

I was told at first it would be the motor, so I replaced with a new one - although the old one still worked, no joy. Was then told to replace the stalk, still no joy - oh and the old stalk still worked too. I checked the fuses first and they were good. Hoping a relay fixes it.

Thanks for the advice on the indicator, mines doing the same too!

woollett

TDI
Passat 05 tdi 1.9
Just a bit of positive feed back to you mate. I located the correct relay due to your instructions, I ordered an identical replacement and fitted it and it worked bang on.
Many thanks, much appreciated!