MPG since MODS

YellowBugGirl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
First full tank since the MODs(RC3, Nozzles, Clutch). Expected my mileage to go way down but I have 700 miles on the tank so far and I am 1 click above the red zone. I will fill up tonight and figure it out exactly but I think it's going to be good.

Jason did tell me to take it easy because of the new clutch and I have been following instructions since I got back to MN.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
wow, thats awesome ;-)
Glad you are enjoying your new ride - Jason is top notch!
Keep in touch if you have any questions.
Jeff

YellowBugGirl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
jsrmonster said:
wow, thats awesome ;-)
Glad you are enjoying your new ride - Jason is top notch!
Keep in touch if you have any questions.
Jeff
It's just killing me not to use my new superpowers. It's going to take me forever to break in that clutch!

But my other car will be done in a couple weeks. And it didn't need a new clutch.......

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
YellowBugGirl said:
It's just killing me not to use my new superpowers. It's going to take me forever to break in that clutch!

But my other car will be done in a couple weeks. And it didn't need a new clutch.......
How long do you have to take it easy? I know how hard it is to wait! Hang in there, it will all be worth it as soon as you get to play around and not have to be so easy on the clutch.:D

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes with RC3 and PP520's I still often see the 700 mile mark. Of course I can attribute that to most of my driving on 2 lane highways in rural WI where I am cruising at 60 mph.

But oh is it fun to punch it when I am on I-94 doing 75 and fly by a semi I am passing and keep it there til I hit 115 mph. I try not to do that very often but it is so tempting every time.

YellowBugGirl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
jetta-girl said:
How long do you have to take it easy? I know how hard it is to wait! Hang in there, it will all be worth it as soon as you get to play around and not have to be so easy on the clutch.:D
Jason suggested a couple hundred miles of city driving. Since most of my driving is freeway it will take a while to rack up 200 miles of city!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I've been pretty happy with my mileage since adding VNT17/22, PP502's, RC6, etc. I was concerned that MPG's would go down, but so far so good (now that I'm done playing and have those thirsty snow tires off)

Just shy of 900 miles and 59 MPG last tank with the below mods.

03 Jetta GL,Vented,Cat 2u Fuel Filter, DG Steel SP with MOGolf Mod, DG Ultra SS, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, CC Vent, 0.681 5th, Amsoil EaBP110 Bypass, Elf 506.01, Redline D4, Boost & EGT, Euroswitch, In Dash IP Kill Switch, PD Lift Pump, EGR Delete, PP502, RC6, Keystone, VDS-Pro, ScanGaugeII, BB Dual Diaphram Clutch, 3" Turbo Intake Tube, VNT 17/22, 3 Bar MAP, (37.4/53.0/75)

Working on a tank well into the 60's I hope next - Jeff, we need to talk sometime :).

Tisey06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI, Golf 99.5 TDI
Having RC in my car has made my car better in MPG, I recorded 57 MPG with RC3 and PP520's, this was only one time driving like a granny, but even driving around the city I am getting now 44-46 before I was getting 40-42,,,of course if you step on the throttle it is a diferent story but you must remember that if you were to do that with any car and your MPG's would go down too.

KROUT

persona non grata
LOL I dont enough self control to get over 45. I am going on vacation next month I will try to drive slow and report back. I am sure I can get over 50 but probably no much over 50. My best to date with my set up is 48.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I find myself having to use the cruise control a lot more to stay out of trouble since the modding began on my TDIs a couple of years ago. :cool:

I'm still able to get 700 miles out of a tank on my 02 Golf with "only" 279k miles on it. It's got RC3 and PP520 nozzles. I'm planning to go for a 3+ upgrade later on this year.

Last edited:

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Its a good idea to not slip a brand new clutch untill it has the chance to bed in gradually and without too much heat. (for most clutches, I have seen some long time ago that recomended intentional slipping as part of the break in). On a side note, I have fixed a few brand new clutches that came from the factory with warped discs by heating the crap out of them till they where smoking and then letting them cool. Works every time.

However, wot after the clutch is engaged is just fine and does not wear the clutch unless the one you put on is inadequate.

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
Every modder's fear: Getting more 'gofast' mods and having to follow it up a week or two later with a new clutch that you have to baby for a full tank. Better to pre-empt the clutch failure, I'd say.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I gues I never broke in my clutch well, when my engine died after 13.000km's of flooring I pulled the clutch and the concentric circles where still good visible on the pressure plate.. But it really depends how you drive the car, I only floor it when the clutch is engaged..

YellowBugGirl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
johnnloki said:
Every modder's fear: Getting more 'gofast' mods and having to follow it up a week or two later with a new clutch that you have to baby for a full tank. Better to pre-empt the clutch failure, I'd say.
I chose to do that and just get the clutch. The 2001 nb's don't have the good clutch to start with anyway so I just replaced it. Had to do the tb so might as well do the whole thing. I won't be using my GO power for another week or so. I still have a strange noise I want Jason to check out. I will be back in WI picking up my newly modded yellow beetle. It's a 2000 so the clutch was just fine.