Timing Belt Replacement question?

dlh

TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
Hi All,

I purchased my 2001 NB TDI the first part of this year, it had about 90,000 miles logged then and I am around 103,000 now. I have no issues with the car so far and totally love it, especially the 47mpg :))).

It was confirmed at the time of purchase that the Timing Belt was replaced at the 60.000 mile interval and was done in 2006. The only info I could not find was if it was a standard 60,000 mile or upgraded to the 100,000 mile timing belt kit.

My question is - Is there any way to tell (visually or any other ) if it has the upgraded 100,000 mile TB kit or the 60,000?

Thanks for your attention!!! :D

dlh

P.S. I may be a little off on the intervals, but I think you guys know what I mean ;)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
take the cover off of the timing belt. if it is smooth, it is the 60k mile belt, if it looks slightly knurled, its the 100k belt.

HOWEVER.

even tho the belt may have been replaced, do you know for sure that the waterpump and rollers and tensioner were replaced ? what about the bolts for the motor mount?

it might be worth your comfort sleeping at night to get it all done properly with a kit from one of our vendors, (boraparts is close to you in UTAH)

basically unless you know for sure that the pieces were replaced, I would start looking to get it redone no later than 120k

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The nightmare scenario...

"The timing belt was just done."

The belt jumps time in 500-5000 miles.. bent valve, broken lifters and a big repair bill..

Some people think a 'timing belt job' is the tensioner and the belt.

If the whole job is really done, you can remove the serpentine belt, harmonic balancer and lower timing belt shield to see whether the big roller has been replaced and if the water pump is old/ leaking.

Like Growler says... cheap insurance and peace of mind for an hour's work.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I had the same question some time ago w/another TDI. The belts come from a couple mfg's (Gates, etc.) but the new upgraded belt will have a pattern to the back side of it like this:

The original 60k belts are smooth w/no texture. Like mentioned before, the tensioner was upgraded as well for the 100k kits so hopefully they didn't re-use the old one. If it were me, I'd plan on getting it done using a complete kit from one of our own vendors here (dieselgeek, boraparts, tdiparts, etc.) for my own peace of mind.

x2 on using Pete (drivbiwire). He's in Boise and a belt changing machine... :D

dlh

TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
Hi Guys,

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I appreciate all the reply's!
I was planning on having it re-done at the 120 mile interval anyway, but I figured it would not hurt too see if it was easy to tell if the previous owner had the upgrade kit installed.

Again thanks for all the input and referrals, you all great:) !!!

dlh