Cold start rattle noise

PaulL

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
I am a new TDIclub memberb. It is great to find such a nice TDI forum.

My 2015 Golf has about 2 seconds rattle noise occasionally when cold starts especially in mornings. Went to the dealer a couple of times regarding the noise but they did not find any error code from the ECM and couldn't duplicate the noise. The mechanics doubted it was from the camshaft tensioner. I asked a friend to connect his VAG-COM to my car and reads error: P0341 00 [096] camshaft position sensor circuit range/performance, but no check engine light came on. Then back to the dealer but they stated they couldn't find the malfunction code stored in the ECM. I am sure that my friend and I didn't clear any error message. Is it possible that different version of VCDS software give different readings?

Here the video recorded the noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBsPEUba_40

I have read the sticky post of common problems and solutions but found no answer. Any ideas? Thanks.

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Sounds normal - fuel rail building pressure, exhaust/emissions flap(s) opening/closing with vacuum etc.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
VCDS will give a time stamp/mile stamp for when the code is store as well as tell if its happened multiple times and if its intermittent or constant.

Check that before waiting the time at the dealer.

Also be aware colder temps make these engines more "diesel like" and quite rattly, just normal fuel dumping to get the temps up quicker.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
I get this same sound- every now and then during start up.

I really need to get one of these readers...

PaulL

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
VCDS will give a time stamp/mile stamp for when the code is store as well as tell if its happened multiple times and if its intermittent or constant.

Check that before waiting the time at the dealer.

Also be aware colder temps make these engines more "diesel like" and quite rattly, just normal fuel dumping to get the temps up quicker.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, usually there are details about the error code such as date, time and mileage etc. but not for this. Here's the log:
------------------------------------
4113 - camshaft position sensor circuit range/performance
P0341 00 [096] - range/performance
intermittent - unconfirmed
------------------------------------
No more info provided by VCDS. What does unconfirmed mean? Fake error?

Probably it is normal as Viking427 and Sands80 suggested. Anyway I'm going back to the dealer before the warranty runs out and keep it posted here. Thank you all.

manyVAGs

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
VCDS also prints the date, time and mileage as well as a count of the number of occurrences. If this only had one occurrence that could explain the "unconfirmed" comment. You can always contact Ross-Tech if you are the original purchaser of the VCDS and they can tell you what that means.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Some how I'm thinking the dealer will have the same opinion that an intermittent/unconfirmed code would be considered "noise" and tell you again no codes were stored.

One dealer looked at me like I had 4 heads when I said I had codes stored for a door lock module that needed to be replaced under warranty. They had to do a functional "scientific test" to see if the door didn't lock, only then, did they replace the module.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The CVCA engine has a variable camshaft timing setup, similar to most modern gasoline engines. It is operated via oil pressure, with a solenoid that controls this oil feed into the actuator. The system can bleed down when the engine sits, causing some rattle at start up. It can also cause a P0011 or P0016 DTC. There is a TSB about this. It involves replacing the camshaft adjuster control valve. Although the dealer may not do anything unless the DTCs are present.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
OH, you wanted to say CRUA engine, but CVCA also has VVT.

To the OP: I say clear the codes and see if they come back after a few restarts.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
On cold start, isn't the timing in full advance? Oil pressure then retards it? Full advance does make diesels noisy but assists them to light off quickly? Winter fuel could also contribute as it lowers cetane.

Budy123

TDI
2.0 TDI CRLB 150HP
I am a new TDIclub memberb. It is great to find such a nice TDI forum.

My 2015 Golf has about 2 seconds rattle noise occasionally when cold starts especially in mornings. Went to the dealer a couple of times regarding the noise but they did not find any error code from the ECM and couldn't duplicate the noise. The mechanics doubted it was from the camshaft tensioner. I asked a friend to connect his VAG-COM to my car and reads error: P0341 00 [096] camshaft position sensor circuit range/performance, but no check engine light came on. Then back to the dealer but they stated they couldn't find the malfunction code stored in the ECM. I am sure that my friend and I didn't clear any error message. Is it possible that different version of VCDS software give different readings?

Here the video recorded the noise.

I have read the sticky post of common problems and solutions but found no answer. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi, i have the same problem with start up and the same rattle sound on my 2.0 tdi crlb eu6 + the error P0341 Camshaft position sensor g40 implausible signal. I’ve changed the sensor with another one but the error and the symptomes are the same, wirings are ok, battery is new. Sometimes the engine starts immediately and sometimes the engine starts after 5-6 seconds, if you got the solution for this problem I would be very grateful, thanks you.

PaulL

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Hi, i have the same problem with start up and the same rattle sound on my 2.0 tdi crlb eu6 + the error P0341 Camshaft position sensor g40 implausible signal. I’ve changed the sensor with another one but the error and the symptomes are the same, wirings are ok, battery is new. Sometimes the engine starts immediately and sometimes the engine starts after 5-6 seconds, if you got the solution for this problem I would be very grateful, thanks you.
I haven't seen this happen since replacing the H5 battery with an H6 two years ago. Didn't touch the camshaft position sensor or anything else.