Newbie question about Vagcom/ VCDS/ Diagnostics

Cburb88

TDI
02 GLS
Im slowly trying to read about this subject, its all new to me but still confusing im seeing multiple different names for these diagnostics cables either vagcom, hex etc then i believe VCDS is the software itself but im just not sure what i need and whats all compatible id like to buy these cables used if possible because i see some people selling them for a good price. Then im not sure if the software is included sometimes and other times you have to pay for software separate?

I will likely just have this one vw golf i doubt ill buy more. I just want to be able to check all codes and timing, im going to need to buy a setup here soon because i plan on doing my timing belt. Then i need to get a tune which from my understanding i can either have it sent out to be loaded onto the ecu itself or you can use flashzilla to load tunes onto it from there? Im trying to read as much as possible but for my own use im trying not to buy something incorrect, thanks for any help. Im used to just using plain OBD2, timing lights and such.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
VCDS is just the new(ish) name for Vag-Com, they are one and the same. You are correct in that VCDS is the program, you can download it for free. However, the required license to use the program is built in to the interface (either cable or wireless).
As for types: there are basically 2 types of communications protocols used by VW, so there are 2 basic types of interfaces, plus some that can do both protocols.
HEX interfaces (aka K-Line) are for older VWs. 2005 and older (for the most part).
CAN interfaces are for newer VWs (2005.5+ mostly) that have a CAN bus communications architecture.
HEX+CAN interfaces will talk to both generations of VWs. Also the newest interfaces (HEX-V2 and HEX-NET) are capable of both protocols.

Have Fun!

Don

Cburb88

TDI
02 GLS
Ohhh ok that makes it alot simpler to understand so basically in my situation i could just buy a used HEX or HEX+CAN interface and as long as its licensed i can download VCDS onto my laptop and i would be set.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
True but you want a usb port if you can. Serial ports are getting nonexistent now days. Plus having the usb/hex/can will let you help others as well if needed. Join the VCDS list and help those near you as well. Used ones showing up in the for sale forum here as people turn in their cars.

Cburb88

TDI
02 GLS
Ok cool so whats the deal with this flashzilla thing? Do i buy tunes from places and they load onto there rather then having to give them my ecu or something?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Flash Zilla will come with a tune You by and you can load it through the OBD2 port yourself. And switch it back as well to stock if you need to.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Flash Zilla will come with a tune You by and you can load it through the OBD2 port yourself. And switch it back as well to stock if you need to.
The Flashzilla does not come with a Malone tune.
You pay for the Malone tune and buy the Flashzilla for another $ 180.00

Or unless you buy both at a combined package.

Cburb88

TDI
02 GLS
Ok thanks i might get one of those i like the idea of being able to get a tune without physically having a shop install a tune and being able to revert back to stock. It looks like id need the V2 flashzilla that works for 2008 and older cars. I wish it doubled as like a boost/egt gauge or something.