ABS Pump Bleeding with Vag-Com

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
So it looks like I need to get ahold of a vag-com and bleed the abs pump after having the reservoir run dry during bleeding (don't ask...).

Evidently, the software will instruct me to open the *front* bleeder screws on demand. Problem is... they're siezed, one is even broken :(. I know I know, I should (pardon the pun) screw around with them and try to get them open, but my priority is just getting the car back on the road right now.

So I'm wondering if anybody knows enough about the ABS pump to tell me if opening the back ones will work for the procedure. The (supposed) air bubble in the abs pump is currently preventing the rear right caliper from operating (or receiving any hydraulic pressure), so it makes sense that whatever air may be in there would be in a circuit connected to that line alone.

But hey, I'm kind of an internet hobbiest at best when it comes to this stuff. So if anyone can enlighten me as to if this plan is a horrible, horrible idea (opening the back bleeders when the computer tells me to open the front ones), I'm all ears :).

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
VagCom now known as VCDS due to copyright issues does a lot more than tell you to open bleeders. It runs the the pump, tells you to pump the brakes, yeah yeah open these bleeders.

You cannot bleed the ABS pump without VCDS.

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Oh I know it does everything. My question here is that when it says "Open front bleeders", and I open the back bleeders instead; is that going to mess up my ABS pump or anything, or will that work just as well to bleed the ABS pump?

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I'm gonna say that you have to open the front bleeders. When doing the ABS bleeding procedure, the pump runs and pumps fluid (& air) out to the front brakes. Opening the rear bleeders won't do any good, since the pump isn't pumping fluid to the rears.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Vcds basically walks you through the process of bleeding each circuit at a time. If you know the right rear circuit has the air then you can just hit next/done until you get to that circuit. I would be a little nervous about not bleeding every circuit though

pcjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, Jetta, Baltic, 2010 Jetta Sedan
Procedure for Bleeding the ABS Brake Pump in many older VW Golf, GTI, Jetta, and Audi TT with Mk20 or Mk60:

[Select]
[03 - ABS Brakes]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001 (may be group 002 in Mk3 VW Golf/Jetta)
[Go!]

This will trigger the ABS pump to turn on for about 10 seconds. You should hear the fairly loud pump clicking during this time.

Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.