Show 'n' Shine results

Status
Not open for further replies.

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Hamsterdiesel said:
BTW - We did institute a $5 'cover' charge for entering the Show n Shine to help generate extra funds needed to supply better than average awards.
We did not charge for the Show-N-Shine this year!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There was no charge for the show and shine this year, and I think we were able to get some pretty nice awards from Crown. We ended up spending about $600 on the awards for this year, which I think is a pretty good deal.

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
VeeDubTDI said:
There was no charge for the show and shine this year, and I think we were able to get some pretty nice awards from Crown. We ended up spending about $600 on the awards for this year, which I think is a pretty good deal.
And we had a donation that helped offset much of the award cost!

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
valvecrusher said:
How about some pictures, for those of us who were unable to attend the fest?:confused:

It would be nice to see the placers in each class....
We should add this in the future. We can present the awards with pictures of the winner up on screen at the banquet, too.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That's a good idea, but there has to be enough time between the show and shine and the banquet to do all of that. This year was too tight because the banquet was too early to "allow people to head out of town early," even though not very many people did.

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
airwolf said:
And we had a donation that helped offset much of the award cost!
Sorry about that - we HAD instituted that fee which did help until Langhorne started being a regular with monetary donations.

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
We could do what they do at the BIG car shows - take a photo of the car as it enters the show area. Make the person stop, get their registration#, take the pic. That way we'd have it for our records.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That might be possible if the show and shine is started earlier... 11 - 2 instead of 12 - 3.

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Like Lawson said, that we would have to have a at least good 2-3 hours between the end of the Show-N-Shine / Raffle and the banquet.

The organizers/volunteers would need the time to go through and catalog the pictures, match them up with the winners, create a slide show so they could be on the screen.

We were cutting it close this year on getting the people choice's tallied up, and other awards organized to be able to present them.

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
We used to have the show run 'til 3pm and the banquet not start until 6pm. I thought things were a little bunched up this year.

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Hamsterdiesel said:
We used to have the show run 'til 3pm and the banquet not start until 6pm. I thought things were a little bunched up this year.
The raffle bunched things up this year. There were a ton of items!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yeah, I wanted to start the banquet at 6, but for some reason it was determined that 6pm was too late. :confused:

Also, the raffle needs to be tightened up a bit. Instead of explaining each item (after people have won), just call the winning numbers, hand out the prizes, and record the results. That should save at least 30 minutes off of the raffle, especially when it's as big as it was this year.

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
The explanation serves as a little promo for the donor (in the case of businesses)...but it would have saved Bruce's voice a bit...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I understand the promo for the donors, but time is at a premium on Sunday (and the rest of the weekend, too). The raffle drawing really needs to be kept to an hour if at all possible. For the sake of the raffle announcer's voice and legs, the volunteers sanity, and the audience's attention span.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
VeeDubTDI said:
I understand the promo for the donors, but time is at a premium on Sunday (and the rest of the weekend, too). The raffle drawing really needs to be kept to an hour if at all possible. For the sake of the raffle announcer's voice and legs, the volunteers sanity, and the audience's attention span.
It would be nice to call the number (or name if written on back of ticket), and hand off the prize/ticket/bin to the recorder. Then come back to unclaimed items at the end.

It did speed it up a bit this year by predrawing the tickets.

I do feel it's obligatory to give the prize name and donor when you announce the winner for that item.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Having the tickets pre-drawn was a great idea. Anywhere we can find to trim the fat will help in the overall run-time of the event.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sorry, I just realized that this is straying quite a bit from the topic. Let's continue discussions of non show and shine results related material in the Next Year thread. :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
one last thing, perhaps instead of having the drawing at the end of the S & S, how about having a big white board where we write the winning ticket numbers thruout the day, and if you have a winner, you just claim it whenever you notice. only issue with that is raffle ticket sales must end before we draw any winners and post them.

people were walking by that desk all morning/afternoon and they could have been checking their tickets at the same time.

sort of like a door prize type drawing, but with raffle tickets.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Stealth TDI said:
My favorite protests come from those with fantastic paint, a hood that's opened just 10-degrees to hide the dirty engine bay, and an interior with debris on the carpet.
FWIW, my main reasons for entering a car show: 3) to get a great parking spot!
The hood partially open allows the judges to see the front edge of the hood for paint damage AND to allow a view of the engine bay.
Ditto for convertible with the top partly opened, it allows the exterior and interior of the roof to be examined, AND demonstrates that the mechanism still functions.
Door windows just opened a small amount to show the glass condition AND that the regulators aren't broken.
I had friends talk me into entering my first show in '97 with just that argument: better parking. I took 3rd in class and was addicted for a long time after that.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Jon - Agree on your comments, especially if the judge is too short to see the leading edge of the hood. But I'm talking about those propping the hood at TEN DEGREES. You can't see the engine bay at all. But I was just being a wiseguy. ;)

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
G60ING said:
The Vortex is a very different world then the TDI Club where Being Low is taken to the extreme (the most popular saying is that you ain't dubbin if you ain't rubbin) or you are a BBS RS/RM wheel lover. I hate rubbing and I hate cleaning wheels so I would never own BBS RSs even though I love how they look. Where that puts me is that I'm too mild for the vortex even though I like being lowered and somewhat showy. In the TDI world some mod their cars so they can get more ground clearnace. In the TDI world I think I might be considered too extreme for most even though I eat breath and sleep diesels in my cars now. I'm a CCAer (Corrado Club of America) member 190(still have my card) but since the Site has been very dead for the past 8 years I have been hanging else where. I like walking the edge of both worlds.
Me too, i hang out on Vortex, here, and a few aircooled vw sites. I can't understand the "more ground clearance" on these TDI forums. Why? Are they offroading their cars? Some of those CCAers are around Toronto. They get together every summer to cruise. My personal taste is OEM Mods. Most of the aftermarket stuff is of cheap quality. I liked your car alot. Nicely done! Don't see the rice'd out VW's much on vortex. Mostly nice clean cars. Seems like everyone has come to their senses.
tomo366 said:
TDI Club is generally a more MATURE group........The Mods tend to be more usable and tasteful........Read not "RICE":rolleyes: :eek:
I disagree....The tasteful mods were on the cars of the younger folk. The Older crowd had ricer lights, neons, and some weird homemade grills/spoilers. The younger crew's mods were tastefull OEM+ mods. later,Pete

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
petea4 said:
Me too, i hang out on Vortex, here, and a few aircooled vw sites. I can't understand the "more ground clearance" on these TDI forums. Why? Are they offroading their cars? Some of those CCAers are around Toronto. They get together every summer to cruise. My personal taste is OEM Mods. Most of the aftermarket stuff is of cheap quality. I liked your car alot. Nicely done! Don't see the rice'd out VW's much on vortex. Mostly nice clean cars. Seems like everyone has come to their senses.
I disagree....The tasteful mods were on the cars of the younger folk. The Older crowd had ricer lights, neons, and some weird homemade grills/spoilers. The younger crew's mods were tastefull OEM+ mods. later,Pete
Disagree all you want.........:rolleyes:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Says the person with the riced out HHR.
No?
Tomo, how many HHR and SS badges, stickers, emblems, brakelight cut-outs do you have on the back of that red-rocket anyway?

xtrooper89

TDI
Wife's 2013 NMS Passat 6spd
The 337/20th replica is mine. I personally like the OEM route. But I did see some nice TDI's at the fest. Please chime in on what my car is missing. I expected a bit more positive from the judges?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think your car is perfect just the way it is. Very nicely done.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
tomo366 said:
Disagree all you want.........:rolleyes:
I guess you didn't notice the 4x4 stance with the funky tailights of the 1st place Golf, or the 2nd placed interior which was highlighted with pink neon tubes? Or where to start on that blue MK5 Jetta? :eek: All owned by "mature" people. So in your opinion, where was the rice?

The younger crowd had sweet rides. The boys from Montreal with the FK45 HID retrofits (super nice) inthe MK4 Jetta with almost 500,000kms, the 337'd Golf below, Jettafock's Jetta, my 4dr, yup......... the future of the TDI'rs looks bright. Please help it thrive, or when it comes time that the "mature/old" can no longer push the clutch, the fest will be down to a handfull. Don't push the youth away.

BTW,
I did all the robot programming for every robotic MIG weld on your HHR's hydroformed engine cradle, and rear axle. :D

xtrooper89 said:
The 337/20th replica is mine. I personally like the OEM route. But I did see some nice TDI's at the fest. Please chime in on what my car is missing. I expected a bit more positive from the judges?
That is hot! Beautiful car, done right. I was assuming it would place high. I'm confused it wasn't shown any love. :confused: It was cool meeting/talking to you. I can appreciate the work/effort and money you have in that Golf. The only other thing i would have done, is swap the 337/20th black headliner into it.

*thumbsup*

You going to H20international?

Did you have any interaction with the judges? Went through this last year with the judging. It was mentioned that this year the judges would interact more with the owners. I don't know why that didn't happen. The amount of work, OEM parts i have in my Golf to look right as if it came as factory installed equipment is significant. No rice here. :p

The Waldorf VW people, Hyperfuel guys, and AJ the racecar driver all came over, commented on my Mods, and asked many questions. This was after i was sitting in the Golf 6 and overheard them talking about my car. So i introduced myself. What caught me offguard was the Hyperfuel dude and AJ noticed the lack of the rear wheel tucking forwards in the wheel arch on the lowered stance. Impressed with the body mount bracket work i did.

Pete

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
xtrooper89 said:
I too thought it would have placed very well. Maybe you were lacking points in a catagory that hurt?:confused: Did you have any display items to help? I grabbed sale sales stuff on the corrado and the first TD Quantum to get some points.

I thought your car was very clean and well done. I didn't notice the lack of the blk headliner but I did notice the lack of the 337 seat belts (red stripe on the outer edges to match the rear seat's center belt) but that is something very knit picky that I image only I notice. I really did like your car and I know most of the VW people I hang with would love a car like you built.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
perhaps next year we let the crowd of the fest do the voting instead of the same 3 judges from the last 2 years (I dunno if its been the same longer than that... I have only been to two Fests.)

give everyone a Sheet with the classes on it when they arrive, then let the masses decide who gets the most votes. if the masses do not turn in many sheets, so be it, but at least then you get a good idea what the crowd likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.