AdBlue

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Warranty about to run out on the TDi. Called the dealer's service desk re: the AdBlue requirement. "CANNOT do it on your own. Need special tools and a special computer" to fill this stuff. Asked them about the price per fill: $50+/fill + cost of AdBlue. Damn. What is so complicated about topping off fluids? Now we need to know the position of the stars, barometric pressures, relative level of the axles and the alignment of the planets.......
Love it. Gouge me baby. ..........:rolleyes: Got nothing to do about "affording" a car like that. Just saying everyone wants a piece of you, others want bigger pieces of you. :rolleyes:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
curious... how long does one fill last and how much does the fluid itself cost?

dieselpower2010

TDI
2010 Gray Jetta 6m
What kinds of VW's run adblue. Do the new 2010 TDI's use it or not, and if so how do you know you need to add it????????

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
4 cyclinder TDi's don't need it. Only the 6 cylinder "belchers" do (Touareg V6, and Q7). BUT, Ford's Powerstroke, Dodge's Cummins, and GMC's Duramax are exempt because if not you and I are really going to pay for the bailout.:rolleyes:
It's about $20 for 2.5 gallons at the Audi dealership, and $11 at the VW dealership. Once Pepboys gets it, it'll be lower. Audi adds a perfume, like Chanel #7 to theirs that's why the extra cost.
Apparently in my Q7, every service interval you have to put about a couple of liters (what dealer says). There is a sensor somewhere that indicates low levels, with a mileage countdown. Past that countdown, you're stranded and will need to be either towed or have someone bring you some adBlu. Best is to carry a bottle or so in the trunk of the car to make sure you don't run out. BS in my opinion, BUT, I have yet to smell exhaust fumes from the Q7 with this stuff. It really is almost odorless.......

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Are you sure it cannot simply be filled?? Check the owner's manual. I can't believe there is not simply a level sensor in the tank that tells the ecu that all is well as long as fluid level is ok.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
any approved def will work

http://thelubricantstore.com/defaul...mcode=301025&gclid=CPaouvrAwaQCFQwDbAodgnTfEQ

and this is where the fill cap is (audi forum)

As you know you have the filler next to the fuel port. When you put in the small self service bottles it only fills the "Active tank" which is kind of wrapped around the diesel filler port right behind the filler door. Active meaning it has the pumps and heater to keep the urea solution from freezing. The passive tank is the large on and it is down in front of the fuel tank. To fill this one as you ask, you must have the proper filling tools that only Audi has. It has a special fitting that somehow diverts it to the passive tank through the same filler port. Fluid is pumped from the passive tank up to the active tank. When the passive tank is empty or close to it you get the "Service AD BLUE in 1500 Miles" message

nice that the stealer told you that only they can fill the tank, :rolleyes::rolleyes:

just keep topping off the passive tank and forget the stealer

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The main tank needs the adaptation values reset when it is filled. It is not that big of a deal, really, but does require a scan tool (as does many other things on most modern vehicles).

There is also adaptation values for the DPF, the adaptive speed control, automatic headlamps, etc., etc., etc. That is an expensive, very complex vehicle. It stands to reason its service should be somewhat involved too.

The T'reg, oddly enough, has only one tank, under the spare tire, and the Adblue bottles screw right on to the fill cap, and it is pretty easy. I have no idea why VAG decided to make the Q7 so different, unless it was to accomodate a larger Adblue capacity for the 12 cylinder TDI (we don't get those here).

If you want to fill the Q7 yourself properly, you'll need the Adblue filling tool number VAS6542 and a suitable VAG-specific scan tool such as Ross-tech's VCDS. The tool is a little less than $300. It is a fill bottle, valve, and tubing.

Last edited:

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought the service package to 45K. They'll fill the damn thing up with adblue, and from then on, I'll be filling it up every so often with the liter bottle that has the attachment. What a rip. But what a car it is to drive.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Adding Adblue

My parents own a Q7. They purchased the Audi pre-paid service plan. Is it necessary for them to buy Adblue and keep some on hand? I wouldn't think it's necessary. Does Audi indicate on their service/work orders that they added Adblue or "topped-off" the Adblue tanks?

The dealership they bought the car from seems to be taking good care of them (and the car). After reading on the Q7 threads about the TSB, I told my father about it. Within a week or two, the dealer called them and said they needed the car to take care of the TSB items. The dealer sent a driver to come get their car, gave them a loaner, took care of the TSB stuff, and brought the car back. Now that is service!!!! Wish I could get that with my VW dealership.:p

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
OK so I'm told you need an expensive part to fill the big tank, and the software to read it. Or keep using the stealer. Essentially there is no easy way/owner do-it-yourself deal with this feature the car has, correct? I mean, you can keep filling the little reservoir over and over but you'd never know how much was left in the big reservoir. How much can I roll my eyes today?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I've heard AdBlue being referred to as BluePi$$. :D

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
2011 Duramax now uses "diesel exhaust fluid".

NHTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328D Xdrive
2011 Ford Power stroke Trucks need "diesel exhaust fluid" also.

Dodge is the only truck player clean enough to avoid the fluid.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Warranty about to run out on the TDi. Called the dealer's service desk re: the AdBlue requirement. "CANNOT do it on your own. Need special tools and a special computer" to fill this stuff. Asked them about the price per fill: $50+/fill + cost of AdBlue. Damn.
All pee jokes aside, if the work absolutely positively MUST be done by the dealer and doing it yourself or taking it anywhere else is not an option, then by federal law the work has to be done free of charge. (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975)

Bottom line is you CAN refill the BlueP!$$ stuff yourself as oilhammer pointed out.

oilhammer said:
If you want to fill the Q7 yourself properly, you'll need the Adblue filling tool number VAS6542 and a suitable VAG-specific scan tool such as Ross-tech's VCDS. The tool is a little less than $300. It is a fill bottle, valve, and tubing.
If this were my vehicle, I would invest in the AdBlue fill tool to add the BlueP!$$ myself and use my VCDS.

VCDS info:
http://www.ross-tech.com

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
When you buy the GM fluid, it also comes with a filler hose that looks like a hose within a hose.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
4 cyclinder tdi's don't need it. Only the 6 cylinder "belchers" do (touareg v6, and q7). But, ford's powerstroke, dodge's cummins, and gmc's duramax are exempt because if not you and i are really going to pay for the bailout.:rolleyes:
It's about $20 for 2.5 gallons at the audi dealership,
$13.50.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
You must be getting your AdBlue at an Audi boutique.

The only odor I can smell in the Audi DEF is ammonia from a slight breakdown of the urea. That's why it has a shelf life of one year.

Last edited:

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the replies. Just brought the car in for 35K miles. Have one more 45K mile maintenance then I'm on my own. Apparently the 55K mile "major tune up" involves something very involved re: the car's computer, in addition to oil/filter/cabin filter/fuel filter/etc...
Over 5 bills. I understand it's a luxury vehicle, and it's expensive, but would like to cut back on the soreness of my behind. Can anyone out there explain to me exactly what the deal is with the computer at 55K? Reading error codes? Resetting something? Programming planned obsolescence?:eek:

Wobisobi

Veteran Member
TDI
Missing my Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
The 55k service appears to be the same as the 15k service.

Here is a link to the Audi 2010 service. I'll keep looking for the 2009. It should be in the owners manual as well.

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/10/media/downloads/Maintenance2010.pdf

Audi posts the service intervals online. Here is the 2009.
http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/11/media/downloads/ScheduledMaintFlipChart_2009.pdf

Go here to pick your year other than 2010 and 2009.
http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/.../main/service/maintenance.html&container=page

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
With tears in my eyes, I traded my beautiful '09 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI for a...mini...van:(
why did you do that?

scrappytdi

TDI
'10 jetta
4 cyclinder TDi's don't need it. Only the 6 cylinder "belchers" do (Touareg V6, and Q7). BUT, Ford's Powerstroke, Dodge's Cummins, and GMC's Duramax are exempt because if not you and I are really going to pay for the bailout.:rolleyes:
It's about $20 for 2.5 gallons at the Audi dealership, and $11 at the VW dealership. Once Pepboys gets it, it'll be lower.
O'Reilley has the Adblue fluid now. only the Dodge Cummins Pickups don't require the fluid. all the Dmaxes, Powerstrokes and Dodge's cabchassis trucks use DEF fluid

2011 Duramax now uses "diesel exhaust fluid".
2011 Ford Power stroke Trucks need "diesel exhaust fluid" also.

Dodge is the only truck player clean enough to avoid the fluid.

messerchmidt

adblue = blue def. they like to tell you this fake little story so you overpay at the stealership for it. you can refill it yourself, but you need the dealer or vga com to reset the computer when you do.