Answers to using the TDIClub 'pics' server

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Answers to using the TDIClub \'pics\' server

For a few the use of the TDIClub pics server or http://pics.tdiclub.com/ has been a challenge. Hopefully this post will assist a few of you in getting your photos into your messages. Either click the link above or select the the link on the section of the title bar as the screenshot indicates below. You'll eventually see links offering two different ways to begin your login. If you are already registered, you can click "Login" and enter your TDIClub screenname and Login password.

===================

Next step after logging into the pics server, you can begin to upload photos, screenshots, graphics and documents that are useful to members. Take a look at the standard catagories or navigate to your "members" area to upload personal photos. (see screenshot below)

=====================

Spend a little time organizing your own gallery and keep personal photos (that you will use on the tdiclub) in catagories that will be easy to access later.

Be sure to fill in details as best you can when you upload the photos so searching and understanding the photo will be easier down the road. A few minutes now will help everyone later. Uploading photos is simplified by clicking the upload button after entering in the location of the original file and description.

After successfully uploading your photo there will be a UBBCode link for you to copy into your post.

This can be place into your message that you are composing ... either original post or reply.

A couple of pointers that make things better for everyone:
- size you photo to fit nicely on the forum. Remember not everyone has a studio view monitor and people on dialup will really appreciate not having to wait for overly large images. I like to keep the width to about 650 pixels. (just personal preference)
- server space is limited so don't abuse the priviledges be piling too many overly large documents or photos on the pics server although Fred liberally allows quite large files. Try to be polite.
- try not to include duplicates of the images when quoting a post in a thread. Most of use reading the thread will see the images above.
- remember that the width of the photo is probably the most important item ... posting overly large (over 800 pixels) in a thread is difficult for many to read comfortably. Some members travel and are viewing on notebook computers ... width is a big problem.
- Rule of thumb: JPG images are best for photographs, GIF images great for flat art, solid colors, black and white text and small animated avatars.
- PDF and Word Doc files are best for sharing text and documents that include self-contained photos, charts and graphs with more complex layout.
- Excel is probably best for spreadsheets and use your best judgement on any video you include. I personally have found that 320x240 video at bit rates between 256 and 512 yield acceptable results on the internet. (times are a changing and we'll hopefully see this improve.) WMV files are pretty universal but the H.264 mp4 codec is outstanding.

I'm sure I've forgotten something that will be helpful ... feel free to add your points below or correct my comments.

UPDATED: 1/298/2006

Last edited:

Cincy_Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Auto 2003 Jetta GLS TDI - Galactic Blue

Looks great! I was thinking of making something myself so it'd be easier to show people who say, "I don't know how to post pictures here." .. I'll be sure to point people who ask to this thread.

Just one typo: "Remember note everyone"

Bill_Blazek

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5 spd, Navy Blue

Rich,

I'm trying to add a how-to with pics.
I read your post above but when I go to
the pic server and try to register,
it takes me to the regular forum registration
page and won't let me register again with
the same email address, name, etc.
I can't see how to create this 2nd login for
the pic server.
What am I doing wrong or has this changed?
How do I post a how-to with pics in it.
When I try to paste it into the message,
the pics don't get included.

Thanks,
Bill

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant

One correction to RichC's great writeup. The useraccount on the picture server IS the same as the forums. However you still need to login for each.

Fred

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI

Fred
One correction to RichC's great writeup. The useraccount on the picture server IS the same as the forums. However you still need to login for each.

Well I posted a query as to logging in to the Photo site a little while ago. I have tried using the same login as the forum and it keeps telling me it can not log me in. I have tried it to look at photos and it's a "No Go".

Just back from the Photo page and again tried to log on using the Jetta_Pilot handle and the password which was first emailed to me and it does not log me on.
Then I tried the user name I had used for registration and the password that went with it, still does not log me on?
So what's wrong then?

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
The "help" above was modified to refect the new pic server.

Last edited:

BHarrison

Veteran Member
TDI
96 & 97 TDI Passat, several Diesel Toyota Trucks...
VW Derf said:

Fred
Why is this? Are you running them on seperate databases?

BHarrison

Veteran Member
TDI
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
How do you delete pics that were originally too large (bit wise) so you can then upload smaller pics ?
Photopost php has the ablilty to resize pictures, so it wouldnt matter if the pic you have is too big, it could resize it to freds preferrence.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I suspect that the cookie is only good for either forums.tdiclub.com OR pics.tdiclub.com, not *.tdiclub.com.

BHarrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Photopost can use the same cookie prefix as the forum, regardless of the subdomain.

skippytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jet-ta
posting pictures

hiya.
The writeup is very good, but when i am trying to post a picture i get a link on my response instead of the actual picture like most people.
What am i doing wrong?
Mike P.

betr'ntractors

Admin/moderator help please

so i searched about how to post photos, read rich c.'s post and followed the directions, but end up with same problem as some of the other members.
PIcs.tdiclub won't let me login with my usual screenname and password.
so i:
relogged into the forums to make sure that worked.
-logged out of the forums and then tried the pics.tdiclub= still no worky
-tried to register at pics.tdiclub and it told me i was already registered on the forums (at least that works..)

I'm at a loss here, did something get updated and i not notice? Any other suggestions?
thnks

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Photopost and the forums use the same userdatabases, BUT they are two different pieces of softare so login is required twice. If you can log into one and not the other, email me as it could be an issue with your login name and some strange characters. For most it does work, so let me know if you have troubles via the feedback form.

Fred

BHarrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Fred, you have something fudged in your cookie settings. (i've cleared mine out of the pic as to not confuse matters)

Double check your cookie settings against your VB settings. VB likes to use a bb prefix also.

VW Derf said:
Photopost and the forums use the same userdatabases, BUT they are two different pieces of softare so login is required twice. If you can log into one and not the other, email me as it could be an issue with your login name and some strange characters. For most it does work, so let me know if you have troubles via the feedback form.

Fred

BHarrison

Veteran Member
TDI
When viewing the picture, there should be a check box for "Delete Photo" and a submit button. If it is not there, then the delete feature has been disabled.

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
Pretty dormant thread, but you could upload a properly sized picture with the same name, thus overwriting the large version. I don't recall if you get a warning when you do this.....think not.

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
In the "Upload Photo" PhotoPost page on pics.tdiclub.com, in the "Extra Options"
section, has anyone ever been able to successfully use the feature/option called
"Retrieve all images from a URL:"?

Yesterday I was trying to use that, to do about 10 image files. I tried all sorts of
things ... made a simple (valid) html file, with the img src= tags, tried an html index,
etc. (And do we actually have access to our upload directory in any case ... or will
it just list all of the uploaded image files on the preview page, if the feature were to work?)
Thanks; Larry.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
i am trying to upload a pdf, and when I'm finished, it is labeled a "video", so no way of inserting it directly into a post. help!

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
About PDF files, a conventional web browser has no way to render their display ... unlike graphic image files. PDF display is usually handled via a browser plugin (component), so the forum/BB code would have to instantiate an inline PDF file via an object Embed action (to call for a plugin/handler, or to embed a PDF viewer inline). That gets complicated, although it is possible. I think that forums/BBs usually leave PDF rendering up to the user, and you just do a link (or an attachment) of the file itself.

I agree that they shouldn't call a PDF file (or a word processor file) a "video". But, I don't think that we should try to render it inline, within a forum post. Attachment or link, yeah. Hope that helps; Larry.

falcon50

UBBCode link

"After successfully uploading your photo there will be a UBBCode link for you to copy into your post."
I must be dense but I can't find this UBBCode. Help!

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
falcon50 said:
"After successfully uploading your photo there will be a UBBCode link for you to copy into your post."
I must be dense but I can't find this UBBCode. Help!
Click on the photo you just uploaded, and the UBBCode is displayed at the bottom of the page below the photo.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.