01 Jetta Transmission rebuild?

PoPimOr

TDI
wanted 96-97 passat tdi wagon 5 speed
Hi,
My parents have a 2001 Jetta TDI with an automatic transmission and 170k miles approximately. I don't have one right now, but do run my 84 Mercedes diesel on veg oil...
Anyway, basically the local dealer is ridiculously expensive, and can't identify the problem with their car which is the same situation with other local shops. They just took the car to a dealer in Chicago on their way to a trip.

Recently they went to a local mechanic and found out another mechanic (possibly the dealer) had filled their transmission with too much fluid. They were in because the transmission was not shifting correctly in the higher gears. Well now the car does not engage correctly between the lower gears or into first sometimes.
Usually this is when cold.

The fluid is clean, not burnt, no metal shavings.

I have driven it a bit and there is sometimes a clunk when shifting between gears which has been a problem for a while.

They just drove to Chicago and it worked fine, but was warmed up.

At this point the dealer is likely going to tell them the valve body is going bad based on what they said to my parents when they dropped the car off, which is quite possible, and is going to say this costs $2,500 or so to fix.

This won't even give them a new transmission...
Who has good rebuilds for the Auto TDI's for this car that one can order, or will do a good job somewhere in MI, preferably in the Holland or Traverse city area, rebuilding the transmission?

Outside of that.
Could this be an engine speed sensor problem? Vacuum problem?
I seem to remember something about the transmission shifts being adjusted based ion driving style.

I do not have time to put the transmission in myself.

The car is not throwing any codes.
They are not interested in a swap to a manual, even though this is much less expensive, because of my dad's arthritis...

Opinions, thoughts?
Thank you

Last edited:

mike944

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
It's going to cost way more than $2500 to fix. Don't let them waste money on a valve body. That won't fix the problem.

The problem is: The transmission is a piece of sh!t. 170K is actually pretty decent. You should consider yourself lucky. The only long-term fix that won't fall apart (without changing to a 5-speed) is a VW remanufactured transmission, roughly $4500. That will get you another 100k-200K

I have 190K on my automatic, and it's almost done. I researched this topic for quite a while, and the only 'permanent' answer i came up with is the 5-speed conversion. if medical issues require them to keep the automatic, just be aware, it's going to be very, very expensive. They might be better off selling the car, and replacing it with something else that has a more solid transmission.

did the "local mechanic" (second paragraph) know the proper way to check the fluid? The transmission has to be only slightly warm. if they drove it there, and he immediately checked it, the fluid would have been way too hot, and it would appear to be overfilled. It would need to sit and cool for several hours before checking.

Everything you mentioned are all classic symptoms of the 01M trans going bad. Unfortunately, they're looking at an expensive bill here to keep the automatic.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
As Mike944 stated, the trans fluid needs to be "warm" and must be checked with a VCDS scan to get the accurate temp reading to verify level. There is no dip stick to measure the level with.

mikevil

TDI
2002 jeta tdi
my auto tranny in this 2001 jeta tdi 4speed auto just went to very exspensive to repair got 255000 on it ,anyway would like more info on this conversion to change it to a 5 speed is it worth it whats invovled ?thanks

toadz1

banned
TDI
A4
mikevil said:
my auto tranny in this 2001 jeta tdi 4speed auto just went to very exspensive to repair got 255000 on it ,anyway would like more info on this conversion to change it to a 5 speed is it worth it whats invovled ?thanks
Do a search on Kill the wabbit auto by Alpha Senor.